Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing the headlight switch and AC button bulbs

All,

As stated in the title, I need to replace both of these bulbs. I found a thread with some information for the headlight switch, but it was inconclusive and a little vague - not sure if the entire vent needs removal or just the switch. Also, not sure if that special tool is required or if it can be done with regular tools.

Same with the AC button bulb, how do I go about replacing it?

Thanks!
    '99 Estoril/Estoril-Black S52 M-Coupe

ac switch doesnt light up like the others only buttons light when depressed

Comment

Stud,i replaced the whole switch....it really is easy to remove to replace the bulb,,,silver cover off,then the nut,use a small screw driver to undo additional small screw use the screw driver to release the tabs,and the whole switch will slide forward,the vent is also easily to remove,,you might be able to get at the bulb holder from there,be gentle but firm!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
        ac switch doesnt light up like the others only buttons light when depressed
        I should have been more clear...it does not light up even depressed/pushed in. It's always unlit.

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
        Stud,i replaced the whole switch....it really is easy to remove to replace the bulb,,,silver cover off,then the nut,use a small screw driver to undo additional small screw use the screw driver to release the tabs,and the whole switch will slide forward,the vent is also easily to remove,,you might be able to get at the bulb holder from there,be gentle but firm!
        Thanks...for a person who's done it before it sounds like it's simple and you know what you're doing. For someone who is unfamiliar like myself, the entire description sounds like a bunch of words jammed together. For a example: which silver cover? What nut/where? Additional small screw and what tabs?

Comment

The headlight knob itself has a cover at the very front of it you will see/feel a groove a few mm in from the front. Using a small screwdriver very gently prise it apart from the main body of the knob. Once removed you will see the small nut whih you will be able to undo with a pair of long nosed pliers then the whole knobe will slide off the switch spindle. This should then reveal a small srew in the recess which when undone will release the entire headlight switch assembly that can be coaxed out of the opening left by the airvent once that is removed.

Hope that helps.
          Aceman

Arctic Silver Z3MR

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
          ///M Badge Refurb available HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            The headlight knob itself has a cover at the very front of it you will see/feel a groove a few mm in from the front. Using a small screwdriver very gently prise it apart from the main body of the knob. Once removed you will see the small nut whih you will be able to undo with a pair of long nosed pliers then the whole knobe will slide off the switch spindle. This should then reveal a small srew in the recess which when undone will release the entire headlight switch assembly that can be coaxed out of the opening left by the airvent once that is removed.

Hope that helps.
            Phenomenal! Gracias everyone!! :)

Comment

If you decide to replace the air con switch be very careful as the plastic dash panel is very brittle between the switches ,

best to push the switch out from the panel not try and lever from front.
              Last edited by Dave P; 14-12-2012, 05:16 PM.

Comment

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/01/89/73

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/01/90/09

Comment

Thank you! All very useful info. About the AC switch, I see that the illustration is different from our cars...how do I remove the trim panel that contains the switches? It is brittle, mine already has 2 small cracks between the switches.

Thanks!!

Comment

Stud...when looking at the lower console you will see two side leather panels,one on each side.there is a small screw that attaches these to the console,undo whatever side you choose,you can now bend this back which should allow you to put your hand behind the switches and push the aircon switch out,it is tight.so dont bend back too much,also you will need to be laying down in the footwel which will enable you too see what your doing

Comment

you may be able to get to the switch by removing the leather gearshift gaiter,

Last edited by Dave P; 14-12-2012, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
                        Stud...when looking at the lower console you will see two side leather panels,one on each side.there is a small screw that attaches these to the console,undo whatever side you choose,you can now bend this back which should allow you to put your hand behind the switches and push the aircon switch out,it is tight.so dont bend back too much,also you will need to be laying down in the footwel which will enable you too see what your doing
                        Thank you sir!! And holy crap, I just priced out how much it would be to replace the trim cover that holds the switches in place and it's $208!! Expensive little flimsy piece of plastic!

Comment

Tell me about it! i replaced mine!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                            you may be able to get to the switch by removing the leather gearshift gaiter,

This is extremely useful. I have the following questions:

1) Do I just pull on the leather boot upwards, and is it attached to the shift knob? In my previous BMW's they were attached together, so I had to pull on the leather before pulling the knob off the shifter lever.

2) Are the chrome ring around the leather and the leather all 1 piece? How do I remove the chrome ring?

3) Do the buttons just come out by being pushed from behind? Just wondering given that if I remove the leather boot and stick my hand in, I don't have much of a view and don't want to forcefully break anything.

4) Lastly, given that the blue plastic trim that holds the buttons has a few minor cracks around the thin areas, is there a way for me to remove/replace it without having to remove the entire center console, as illustrated in your picture?

Thanks!

Comment

1) Do I just pull on the leather boot upwards, and is it attached to the shift knob? In my previous BMW's they were attached together, so I had to pull on the leather before pulling the knob off the shifter lever.

- yes, but not attached to the gear knob

2) Are the chrome ring around the leather and the leather all 1 piece? How do I remove the chrome ring?

- no need to remove chrome surround

3) Do the buttons just come out by being pushed from behind? Just wondering given that if I remove the leather boot and stick my hand in, I don't have much of a view and don't want to forcefully break anything.

- if you can remove plug first switch should come forward easily

4) Lastly, given that the blue plastic trim that holds the buttons has a few minor cracks around the thin areas, is there a way for me to remove/replace it without having to remove the entire center console, as illustrated in your picture?

- screwed in place from behind so very difficult to remove unless console is out of car

Comment

Working...
                              X