Steering wheel options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
    I haven't ordered yet. I intended to get in touch with them to see if they would consider discount for multiple buys... then forgot

I'll drop them an email now

EDIT: They're getting back to me in a few days with info on a group buy of 5 x 340mm perforated leather wheels and fitting kits. Will keep you posted obviously
    If possible, I'd like smooth and without the text (this is an option we can specify at checkout), as it's more OEM look.

What are the advantages of perforated, if anyone has experience of both?

It'd be really neat to then get the wheels re-trimmed in tri-color stitching! But I think I'll save my money for more useful mods.

Comment

• Breezer, I've no idea if perforated or smooth leather offers any particular benefit over the other to be honest - I just love the feel of the perforated M Sport wheel in our 123d

There's no cost difference between the two models, so it shouldn't make any difference which way we go.
      Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
      ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
      Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

• I'd be interested too, but with out the god awful text on the airbag!

Comment

• Originally posted by gooner14 View Post
          I'd be interested too, but with out the god awful text on the airbag!
          Can you imagine anybody actually wanting it on? I'll start a new thread once I hear back about prices, so we're not cluttering this one

Comment

• A little feedback on the Raid Silberpfeil wheel for anybody considering buying... the wheel feels great to drive with and I actually feel more connected to the car, but finding the (hidden) horn buttons in a hurry when the wheel is anything other than straight-ahead is a pain. Very happy with the mod though

Comment

• Have to say I drove mine properly yesterday with the new Riad wheel. It's a vast improvement. Would whole heartly recommend doing it!

Comment

• After few guys here showed off their new custom made steering wheels, I could not resist anymore to buy a new one.

The goal was simple: smaller stock looking wheel. No special curves, audi-like flat bottoms, etc... just simply beautiful wheel, that should come with the car out of the factory. Diameter is 360 mm, so it should feel quite small, but not interfere with the dials. It is also a bit fatter than stock.

What do you think, did it succeed? :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by inside View Post
                  After few guys here showed off their new custom made steering wheels, I could not resist anymore to buy a new one.

The goal was simple: smaller stock looking wheel. No special curves, audi-like flat bottoms, etc... just simply beautiful wheel, that should come with the car out of the factory. Diameter is 360 mm, so it should feel quite small, but not interfere with the dials. It is also a bit fatter than stock.

What do you think, did it succeed? :-)

That looks great!

Tell us more?!
                  2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

• That is great. I would be very interested in one of those.....

Comment

• 360mm is the same as OEM though isn't it?

Comment

• Nope, the oem is 385. It doesn't sound much, but it makes a great deal of difference...

That actually the whole point - steering wheel diameter reduction. I didn't see it available anywhere since recently and I've been really missing smaller wheel in MC. But I don't like the look of any other aftermarket option, not to mention must cut the A/B out of equation.
                        Last edited by inside; 13-02-2013, 11:32 PM.

Comment

• Comment

• I have just received my E36 wheel back from Carsdream in Germany. They reduced the size to 360mm and thickened the wheel. It looks great but it is still sat on my table as the wiring loom is not compatible! Forum member Inside had this done and it looks like the best replacement to me.

The original wheel (2000) seems to be a 2 stage AB and the the refinished/new wheel I have received is a single stage AB. I believe that there is a way to fool the car into thinking the stage 2 phase of airbag deployment is attached by putting a 3 ohm resistor into the circuit but I am unsure of which wires go where! The new wheel came with a loom that had just 4 wire. It seems clear which is the AB pair but the other 2 I imagine are the horn, but don't attach like the standard AB loom does.

Has anyone had any experience with rewiring the loom to accommodate a different AB system? There is a detailed link here http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23787 but it doesn't fully relate to my issue......

Any help welcome!

James
                            Attached Files

Comment

• That looks great James. Goes to show the ridiculous size of the OE wheel

Comment

• This weekend was productive! I successfully changed my steering wheel over to the reduced size wheel that Carsdream had made and re-finished for me. It was not the most straightforward mod to do but well worth it.

The new wheel arrived (€290) but it was clear that the wiring loom was not going to simply plug in and play. I had to cut both airbag ends off and swap the OEM airbag side to the cables and plugs that came with the new wheel. I had to grab a 3.3 ohm resistor and insert it into the 2nd stage of the car's airbag deployment circuit. All went well thanks to the info here - http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23787 and I have no unwanted lights in the dashboard!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X