Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reinforced differential bracket

Hi All,
    I believe the coupe I recently purchased has a reinforced differential bracket. If I'm right, the first owner of this car originally from Sydney, Australia has provided me with a very pleasant surprise.

Long story short, I test drove this car twice in November 09 before heading from my University in Melbourne overseas for a six month sabbatical. I did not buy it then. The price was too high until February when the seller re-listed it for a more reasonable amount. I called him from Indonesia, we agreed on a fair price, and we settled that week. A friend picked up the car and parked in my garage where it sat on jacks waiting for me to return. I just got home 3 weeks ago and have been 'getting to know' it with great pleasure ever since. (My previous car was a Z3 3.0i Roadster)
    Here she is on a recent trip to the Dandenong Ranges...a stretch of beautiful hills and valleys in Victoria, Australia.

After unpacking my suitcases, I also unpacked an OEM differential wrapped up in some oily rags. The seller had put it in the boot but forgot to mention it in the sale. Forum member C_W helped me determine that the first owner from Sydney had installed a 'sprightly' 3.64 differential...something I was not aware of back in November during my brief test drives. I also found out I have H and R adjustable shocks all round....nice!

Yesterday, I put the car up on jacks, changed my oil, and studied the underside more carefully. It appears there is a large, thick, chunk of metal cut-to-form and attached to the differential block.

As far as I am aware, this is not OEM

However, it seems that my differential bracket is in good shape.

I looked closely but found no cracks or tears, despite its flimsy appearance compared to another bracket I found on the other side of the differential.

On the other side of the diff I found this other bracket circled in yellow:

Above the muffler it seems to be welded to the frame somehow. Reminds me of the Randy Forbes design.

The two upper branches of its 'Y form' are welded perhaps to the subfloor?

If this is a reinforced differential bracket, then I have purchased an MCoupe with all the work done! As mentioned before, I bought the car when I was not actually in the country. I essentially went into the purchase not knowing whether or not the notorious 'spot welds' and diff bracket problems were indeed rectified or not.
    I was seriously dreading today's close examination. But I am relieved to find no bracket damage, and indeed what appears to be an already reinforced differential.
    Hope this is the case and any comments welcome.
    sigpic

Yep definately looks to have had quite a bit of reinforcement work done .

Out of interest are the spot welds fine as well?

Congrats with the purchase ;-)
    VIDEO or Journal

Comment

I was thinking of doing this myself to even the load on the diff as it's daft to have it just hanging at the back with one "ear" but didn't as the space on the other side is quite restricted (I was going to use another full size bush like the left). The "left" ear does however deal with the torque loading pulling down on the bootfloor, but a 2nd "ear" on the other side will offset that load a lot I imagine.

That all looks quite custom-made and will probably prevent any future problems. Interesting that the diff crownwheel and pinion were loose in the boot! That would suggest the diff wasn't swapped as complete units but the original diff disassembled with the 3.64 gearset; this is the best way to do it as it generally means the diff will have been rebuilt at the same time and may even have a "tighter" LSD slip too. Most lower ratio diffs are swapped from E30 cars of unknown condition (although the diffs are known to be very strong and long-lasting).

Comment

Well this is fantastic news....confirmation that I do indeed have a reinforced diff on a fine mcoupe in good condition...I am a happy chappy

Jontt...the spot welds are fine at this point. Noting what C_W mentions about the 2nd ear, I will keep an eye on them though.

I think this calls for a drive!!
        sigpic

Comment

Guys,
          Can anyone point me in the direction of the reinforced Diff bracket on Real OEM?

My appears to have failed recently :(

2005, E46 M3 Carbon Black
          2007, X3 3.0d M Sport

Comment

The full uprated (ie thicker metal) repair kit is part number

just the diff "ear" (I think, check with dealer) is part number

Both parts 5 on this diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=41&fg=25&hl=5

Are your boot spot welds broken ? (ie usually the same torque flexing that causes this crack breaks the spot welds as well)
            Last edited by Jonttt; 13-03-2011, 05:16 PM.
            VIDEO or Journal

Comment

EDIT - Monday 14th.

I've just spoken with Phil at CPC - Can anyone confirm what is included with the reinforced part? Phil looked into this for me and his thoughts about the parts are;

"the cheap part is £12.85 and weighs 559grms, the uprated part is £205.00 and weighs 1.31kgs, I would therefore suppose the uprated piece has extra parts as well as thicker steel"

Happy to pay the £200, however at 15 times the cost of the standard part, I'm trying to work out if I a) need it and b) what's included.

cheers
              andrew

Thanks Jon.

Spot welds are ok, just the part mentioned.

Cheers
              Andrew

Originally posted by Jonttt View Post
              The full uprated (ie thicker metal) repair kit is part number

just the diff "ear" (I think, check with dealer) is part number

Both parts 5 on this diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=41&fg=25&hl=5

Are your boot spot welds broken ? (ie usually the same torque flexing that causes this crack breaks the spot welds as well)
              Last edited by andrewturner; 14-03-2011, 10:22 AM.

2005, E46 M3 Carbon Black
              2007, X3 3.0d M Sport

Comment

Working...
              X