increase in oil temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• increase in oil temperature

Usually my oil temperature hovers at just under 100C after driving the usual 'warm up' laps before spirited driving. My last few weekend drives, however, have seen the temperature go up to 107-09C and stay there....does this mean I need to flush and refill coolant?
    I think its been more than two years since this was done. Anything else I should consider here?
    sigpic

It could be a few things assuming you're talking about the Water temp not oil temp?

If its water, it could be the radiator, thermostat, viscous fan etc.

If it's oil, again oil cooler, the oil itself or more serious like a spun shell.

2005, E46 M3 Carbon Black
    2007, X3 3.0d M Sport

Comment

may be worth checking the undertray and ductwork to and from the oil cooler is still in position

Comment

Are you coming up for an oil service??anything trapped on your oil cooler?i spun a bearing and it went a lot higher than your temp!my own oil temp guage does strange things..sometimes ive learnt to live with it.i have found that a clump on the side of the cluster brings it down nicely.Of course if its the water temp? and it hasnt been changed for a long while a change of fluid with the correct additive should sort it out...as dave has said check for leaks aswell.
        Last edited by kwoffa; 15-04-2012, 10:12 AM. Reason: aditions

Comment

110 oil temperature is nothing to worry about, if it is oil temperature you're talking about :)

Check:
          - oil cooler air ducting
          - if it gets warmer when pushing it

If it goes upto 120-130, it's definately the oil thermostat in oil filter housing, that is very prone to failing and the usual culprit.

Comment

Ofcourse....what was I thinking....radiator for oil....my bad. I will check the the undertray and ductwork to and from the oil cooler is still in position as Dave advises.....is this near the oil pan?
            I checked REALOEM but only found this:
            http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...75&hg=11&fg=30
            Anyone can point me in the right direction?
            sigpic

Comment

Soma..the oil cooler is at the front/lower engine.inline with the lower mesh grill.

Comment

Originally posted by soma View Post
                Ofcourse....what was I thinking....radiator for oil....my bad. I will check the the undertray and ductwork to and from the oil cooler is still in position as Dave advises.....is this near the oil pan?
                I checked REALOEM but only found this:
                http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...75&hg=11&fg=30
                Anyone can point me in the right direction?
                some details/pictures here,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...ight=undertray

Comment

mine in city is every around 100,higway 105,on track arrive at 120/30 after 7-8 fastlap in hot days..
                  My bmw center tell is normal..anyway goes every like an beast.
                  www.fastdrive.org
                  S50 black/black-red In Rome
                  Front BBK Stoptech Red+Eibach Sway Bars+Kw Clubsport Whit Camber plates+Weichers Strutbar+Agk Urethane front Silent Block & differential Bushing+Tuner Motorposrt Alluminium Rear Mount+Hamann Exaust

Comment

Ok...found the oil cooler and checked all the duct work/vents and all seems to be aligned and in order. Given the feedback on oil temperature it seems normal to go up to 110 after some spirited driving.
                    If it does go beyond that, I will check the oil temperature thermostat in the oil filter housing as advised.
                    cheers<Soma
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X