No announcement yet.

Life after the M Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know I've just sold the beast and not really looking to buy anything else for the moment, although we do have a rav4,(3 door ), but that's basically a shopping vehicle and a mobile dog kennel, and the other half has just bought herself a renaultsport250, ( guess what colour ), yep, sport yellow.
    But, in between my last ownership of the coupe and buying it back again i went through a varied selection, Noble M12/bmw X5's(3 of them ), RRS, first edition/Focus RS ( the new model ), all of them were good in their own rights, but my favourite has to be the noble, it had a few mods done to it, ( of course ), and it was pumping out something like 450bhp, all in a car that weighed about 1100kgs.
    It's probably the fastest thing that I 've ever driven, and the sound, I actually had a race off a roundabout against a suzuki 600 bandit, we both exited about the same time, and just as he was pulling up along side me, (dual carriageway ), he looked into the car as if to say, "no chance" and I floored the fu**ing thing, he caught up with me at the next roundabout, looked over and just
    I let him go then, as I was getting some grief from my passenger, she was not best pleased.
    2002 phoenix yellow. "V3RY M" lives on, but on another beast.

Comment

E46 M3 - Its brilliant :)

Comment

Originally posted by steve1 View Post
        I know I've just sold the beast and not really looking to buy anything else for the moment, although we do have a rav4,(3 door ), but that's basically a shopping vehicle and a mobile dog kennel, and the other half has just bought herself a renaultsport250, ( guess what colour ), yep, sport yellow.
        But, in between my last ownership of the coupe and buying it back again i went through a varied selection, Noble M12/bmw X5's(3 of them ), RRS, first edition/Focus RS ( the new model ), all of them were good in their own rights, but my favourite has to be the noble, it had a few mods done to it, ( of course ), and it was pumping out something like 450bhp, all in a car that weighed about 1100kgs.
        It's probably the fastest thing that I 've ever driven, and the sound, I actually had a race off a roundabout against a suzuki 600 bandit, we both exited about the same time, and just as he was pulling up along side me, (dual carriageway ), he looked into the car as if to say, "no chance" and I floored the fu**ing thing, he caught up with me at the next roundabout, looked over and just
        I let him go then, as I was getting some grief from my passenger, she was not best pleased.
        I want a Noble M12, but I'm getting married instead

Paul

Comment

Much as I like the mc I don't think I really
          Love it as much as I thought I would !, looks
          Wise it's terrific , performance wise it's a little
          Disappointing , If I were to swap it for something
          Else ... Maybe an alfa es30(monster) or r5 turbo 2
          Something oddball

Comment

Originally posted by brg 990 View Post
            performance wise it's a little Disappointing
            It's chuffing quick enough for me!
            2002 BMW M Coupe (S54) in Sapphire Black with Imola Red Interior @ OEM+ Spec **Now with Wheels** **SOLD**

Need a holiday? Click here!

Comment

Originally posted by Jonttt View Post

Having said that its not my daily driver / I can drive much faster / more comfortable cars whenever I like but its the car I look forward to driving the most

I think this is the key thing, its ok to go back for a short blast as its more entertaining in some ways. That same factor can get wearing day in/out.

Plus I'm getting old (well feels like it !) and can't be doing with things needing more than topping up the fluids every so often.

One of the new M3s looks quite temping. I'll just wait until oil jumps to $200 a barrel and pick one up for £1 !
              Ex 2001 S54
              New cars:
              Lotus Carlton
              350Z

Comment

Originally posted by MattH3764 View Post
                I too like older cars. Modern ones are just getting too hard to maintain. I think it will be interesting what becomes of the E60 M5 and E92 M3 when they are 20 years old. There are thousands of them, and they are wonderful cars but they are ruinously expensive to maintain. There will be a lot of moneypits around.
                I think the general idea is to buy one new / in warranty and drive it until the warranty runs out then sell it. The cars (newer M models) are moving more towards the 'if you can't afford a new one then don't buy a second hand one' teritory.
                Ex 2001 S54
                New cars:
                Lotus Carlton
                350Z

Comment

I sold my MC and the Wife's VW Polo when we moved to Austria. Needed a one car does all (+O/H can only drive Autos) so bought an E46 330i Sport. It's a great cruiser, but not a patch on the MC. And considering it's 90 bhp shy, the fuel consumption is worse!

Anyway, the M itch has returned like a rash and I'm looking at E92 M3s.
                  Current: 2005 330i Sport
                  Sold but never forgotten: 2000 Estoril S50

Comment

Are the new M cars (as in E90 series and M6) really that bad? Obviously fuel costs are going to high but that comes with big capacity engines. I just see a lot of people say they are going to be money pits etc but did they not say that about our cars? Is servicing expensive compared to ours (which isnt cheap if taken to BM)? I know there will lots of black boxes but if they dont break they shouldnt be a concern. Interested to see what peoples experiences are.
                    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by MGR View Post
                      I think the general idea is to buy one new / in warranty and drive it until the warranty runs out then sell it. The cars (newer M models) are moving more towards the 'if you can't afford a new one then don't buy a second hand one' teritory.
                      I agree. But so will a lot of others and you would see a significant depreciation issue once the warranty expires. So the cost of ownership (depreciation, fuel, servicing and warranty excesses/renewals) really piles up. Great cars - I would love 6 months in an E60 M5 just to feel that V10 - but for what I would lose on depreciation alone I could buy a decent E34 M5 lock, stock and barrell - which would likely appreciate. And I'd be willing to wager the maintenance/servicing/fuel/depreciation bills would be no worse. Please dont think I am saying my way is right and others are wrong - I just prefer the appreciating, older cars as depreciation is something I just hate spending my money on.

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                      Are the new M cars (as in E90 series and M6) really that bad? Obviously fuel costs are going to high but that comes with big capacity engines. I just see a lot of people say they are going to be money pits etc but did they not say that about our cars? Is servicing expensive compared to ours (which isnt cheap if taken to BM)? I know there will lots of black boxes but if they dont break they shouldnt be a concern. Interested to see what peoples experiences are.
                      Fair question - everything I have read about the E60 mentions the immense running costs in the first two paragraphs. I have taken that at face value - maybe some on here have first hand experiences. There was an artile in the car club mag this month about big bills associated with SMG (Serious Money Gone) gearboxes - and thats another thing I would stay away from.

But everyone takes their choice. Thankfully there are plenty of people willing to fund the depreciation on M cars - otherwise I wouldnt be able to buy and E34 for 6 grand !

Comment

Originally posted by MattH3764 View Post
                        I agree. But so will a lot of others and you would see a significant depreciation issue once the warranty expires. So the cost of ownership (depreciation, fuel, servicing and warranty excesses/renewals) really piles up. Great cars - I would love 6 months in an E60 M5 just to feel that V10 - but for what I would lose on depreciation alone I could buy a decent E34 M5 lock, stock and barrell - which would likely appreciate.
                        I'm coming round to the view that I'd rather lose money through depreciation than buying new parts.

I've probably spent £8-10k in 2 years running the LC (7k miles) and its gone up in value a bit ! If I keep it another 2 years it will probably cost the same again.

I've spent £2k on the 350Z this year not including routine servicing, so its not always easy to know what is the best option.

I'd rather that the car depreciated that much than the hassle of buying / sourcing new parts and having a less reliable car etc. Clearly there is some depreciation that is unacceptable.

Probably the best thing is a 3yr old car from a main dealer with extended warranty. I'm going to go this route next time. I think its the sweet spot between hassle and cost. Clearly depends to some extent on which car.

Also E34 M5s can cost as much as the car to run for a year. Esp if you get the one with the fancy suspension.
                        Ex 2001 S54
                        New cars:
                        Lotus Carlton
                        350Z

Comment

I'd rather that the car depreciated that much than the hassle of buying / sourcing new parts and having a less reliable car etc. Clearly there is some depreciation that is unacceptable.

Probably the best thing is a 3yr old car from a main dealer with extended warranty. I'm going to go this route next time. I think its the sweet spot between hassle and cost.
                          I think we'll see Mike in his 3 year old Honda Jazz sometimes soon

Mike are you doing ant TDs this year? How about Snetterton 9th June? Would suit the LC as it's got some good straights to open it up!!

Comment

I'm hoping that cars like the 1M Coupe address some of issues raised.

Bit of a gamble for me, of course, as I haven't even seen one yet, let alone driven one.

BUT

...it could prove to a ballistic and special little M car (heard that about another car once ) with excellent running cost and depreciation (£400 for 50,000 miles servicing and 29.4 mpg)

OR

...it could be just a pumped up 1 series with real world mpg similar to a E91 M3 and drop like a stone in value.

Bit of a moot point anyway, as I heard the UK allocation was given today and I've heard nadda from my dealer.
                            BMW 1M Coupe (sold)
                            BMW Boxercup Replika

Apparently, other manufacturers do exist.....

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                              I think we'll see Mike in his 3 year old Honda Jazz sometimes soon

Mike are you doing ant TDs this year? How about Snetterton 9th June? Would suit the LC as it's got some good straights to open it up!!
                              Ahhh the dreams coming true....

I'm not sure really I spent a lot of money last year replacing parts from doing track days. I think it depends on what car(s) I own in the summer. Might do if I have something suitable. The 350z is boring on track, the lotus is good fun but replacing even things like brake discs / pads gets very expensive.

Now if I can trade the 350 in for a prius......

I have to say the Z3M stood up well to track days, hardly had to do anything beyond change the oil.
                              Last edited by MGR; 01-03-2011, 07:41 PM.
                              Ex 2001 S54
                              New cars:
                              Lotus Carlton
                              350Z

Comment

Ahhh the dreams coming true....

I'm not sure really I spent a lot of money last year replacing parts from doing track days. I think it depends on what car(s) I own in the summer. Might do if I have something suitable. The 350z is boring on track, the lotus is good fun but replacing even things like brake discs / pads gets very expensive.

Now if I can trade the 350 in for a prius......

I have to say the Z3M stood up well to track days, hardly had to do anything beyond change the oil.
                                brave man bullying the LC on track

deserves to be driven hard once in a while but track abuse is torture for a car like that.

polish it, stroke it, garage it

Click here to email me

Comment

Working...
                                X