Cheap mod to improve gear change for those with ACS gearknob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap mod to improve gear change for those with ACS gearknob

I had a quick drive in Lee's car that has the 'Whalen Shift Machine' gearknob and was very impressed how much smoother and positive the change was.

Having recentely bought an AC Schnitzer gearknob, i was reluctant to spend another £100+ to buy and ship the WSM into the country so decided to see if i could do anything with what i had :idea:

The principle of the WSM is just that it is really heavy, so i decided to add a bit of weight to the ACS one as it is hollow inside.

Here's what i did...............

1. Remove ACS gearknob
    2. Turn gearknob upside down and emerse in a small glass of water, without it going into the neck of the gearknob(this is to reduce heat build up so adhesive to top sticker isn't damaged).
    3. Carefully pour or drip melted lead (very low melting point but very heavy) into the open neck to fill up the gearknob to the top of where it tappers down to form the narrow shaft.
    4. Once the hollow section has been filled and left to cool you just drill out (using a drill as close in size to the inside diameter of the shaft) the shaft again to allow the gearknob to fit properly again.

Having done this, the gearchange is definately smoother, nicer to use :wink:

I had a bit of roofing lead in the garage, but you should be able top get this cheaply from any roofing supplier.
    Black S50

Excellent idea :!:

To save you being told you're big-headed, I'll call this one the Chippy Mod on your behalf :wink: :!: 8)
    /// Exdos ///
    "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Not quite the same amount of R&D involved in this one compared to your mod :wink:
      Black S50

Comment

It doesn't matter how long it takes to come up with a good idea, all that counts is whether it does the job better than OEM. Personally, I wouldn't have spent the money on either a genuine short-shift mechanism or on a WSM, but now you've devised the Chippy Mod I'll certainly buy an ACS replica gear knob off ebay and use your mod. 8) 8)
        /// Exdos ///
        "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Great Idea Chippy! Hope it doesn't get too hot in your car! What is the melting point of lead??

Comment

It can get quite hot in the coupe some times ......but the melting point of lead is 327.5 degrees C, so should be ok :wink:
            Black S50

Comment

Originally posted by chippy
              It can get quite hot in the coupe some times ......but the melting point of lead is 327.5 degrees C, so should be ok :wink:
              LOL!!! shouldn't be a problem then! ;-) not in the UK anyway!! I had a crazy idea it was much lower, but then lead would be dripping off of roofs wouldn't it! I am blonde for a reason sometimes!!

I like the idea of this, but I also like my illuminated M knob... Wonder if its possible to do the same/similar with this......

Comment

Originally posted by r80ter

I like the idea of this, but I also like my illuminated M knob... Wonder if its possible to do the same/similar with this......
                I wouldn't go pouring or dripping molten lead over wires, bulbs etc!

As lead is very plyable even when cold, you could probably drill a piece of lead and collect the shavings and put those in the standard gearknob and then press and shape them into any available recess using a long allen key etc.......Just a :wink: thought
                Black S50

Comment

I wouldn't go pouring or dripping molten lead over wires, bulbs etc!
                  Exactly why i said similar.

As lead is very plyable even when cold, you could probably drill a piece of lead and collect the shavings and put those in the standard gearknob and then press and shape them into any available recess using a long allen key etc.......Just a :wink: thought
                  Hmmm, think i might buy a 2nd hand one from ebay to play with before i ruin mine! thanks for the inspiration!

Comment

Chippy,

I also like my illuminated knob (it helps me to find it in the dark - ooh err missus!)

I have the very stuff for you which actually weighs heavier than lead!

I'll send you a PM.
                    /// Exdos ///

Comment

Just had a look at my old standard gearknob and unfortunately there aren't any hollow areas that could be used to add weight :roll:
                      Black S50

Comment

Working...
                      X