OEM fire extinguisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM fire extinguisher

I have a OEM BMW fire extinguisher which was dealer fitted back in early 2000 should I bin it and replace with a new one or do they last indefinitely? I cant see a use by date on it but it just says refill after every use.

Normally there is a gauge near the handle which lets you know the pressure...if its on Green should be ok...if there is no gauge,i wouldnt risk it and get a new one..our Salon fire extinguishers get tested every year...albeit they are obviously a lot bigger..

Comment

No gauge so will check with dealers and see what they say tomorrow

Comment

Dave, if it's powder I would junk it anyway and get a 1 litre foam instead. I have a foam extinguisher mounted to the front of the driver's seat.
        Powder makes a helluva mess if you ever have to use it. It also gets into areas you can't get to and (assuming the car is OK and survives) causes horrible corrosion on the surfaces you can't get clean.
        The MSA now require foam extinguishers (although that's a driver safety issue, I believe). I have all my 1 litre extinguishers checked on an annual contract, they don't last forever, and powder can compact down to the point where it doesn't work, or so the service guy tells me.

Comment

Originally posted by rsk289 View Post
          Dave, if it's powder I would junk it anyway and get a 1 litre foam instead. I have a foam extinguisher mounted to the front of the driver's seat.
          Powder makes a helluva mess if you ever have to use it. It also gets into areas you can't get to and (assuming the car is OK and survives) causes horrible corrosion on the surfaces you can't get clean.
          The MSA now require foam extinguishers (although that's a driver safety issue, I believe). I have all my 1 litre extinguishers checked on an annual contract, they don't last forever, and powder can compact down to the point where it doesn't work, or so the service guy tells me.
          Just read this after ordering a replacement powder extinguisher from BMW hopefully like the last one will never get used.

Comment

These are what I have, in every car:

http://www.firesafetysupplier.com/fi...nguisher-litre

The holder is fixed to an aftermarket M3 extinguisher mount which bolts to the driver's seat mounting bolts, with a few mods.
            Sorry Dave - probably a mite cheaper than BM ones...

Roger

Comment

Picked up a replacement fire extinguisher, (1kg part number 7260000335)

They have changed the design and the newer version now has a gauge fitted. The F1 line version appears to be available but only from the BMW Mini range, both models are made by a company called "Gloria". A warning sticker is also included!

Comment

Kidd seem to OEM these here

Interesting that the two Dave shows above are different models, the F1 and the P1 with Kidde suggesting the F1 for home and the P1 for cars.

Also the generic sold here

Comment

Forgot to mention the OEM kit comes with the mounting bracket and strap but not the hardware for mounting onto the seat itself which is part number 82279405850

as per Keith's install thread,

Comment

Working...
                  X