front wipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front wipers

After getting my car back from the bodyshop,i know find that the drivers side wiper arm catches the underneath of the bonnet ! currently have the bonnet slightly raised on the drivers side to avoid chipping,question is could it need a new arm with a stronger spring to hold the arm flatter to the screen or is there some movement that can be adjusted on the mechanism ie new bushes??? TIA Mel .

Mel did the bodyshop remove the wipers and or the bonnet if they have then more likely to be a fit issue?

Comment

How close to the outer edge of the window does the wiper go to? It might just need moving a spline so it doesn't go as low in park position.

Comment

This issue was there before i had the car sprayed..but seems to be worse now..so no blame there, i did remove the wipers to clean the heater control thingy..but replaced in the exact same way...maybe i should remove the offending wiper and clean the spline and refit..i was just hopefull that it might be just a new arm !

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
          This issue was there before i had the car sprayed..but seems to be worse now..so no blame there, i did remove the wipers to clean the heater control thingy..but replaced in the exact same way...maybe i should remove the offending wiper and clean the spline and refit..i was just hopefull that it might be just a new arm !
          I had this exact problem. It's where they pull them off by hand without using a puller. Simply bend the wiper back into position, I pushed the arm towards the screen in exactly the place it was striking the bonnet. They are surprisingly flexible! Or remove and do it on a workbench.

Whilst wipers are off remove plastic covers underneath and clean out years of crap and debris...it's so satisfying.

Comment

Im..
            I have already cleaned all the crap out from underneath the front scuttle..not sure about bending things so maybe tap a bit more thread on the spline if this is possible...

Comment

Im..
              I have already cleaned all the crap out from underneath the front scuttle..not sure about bending things so maybe tap a bit more thread on the spline if this is possible...
              You'll be fine bending it Mel, just do it a little at a time
              2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Im..
                You are only bending the arm by a few mm, you mentioned you were hoping you only need to replace it anyway, so what's to lose? They bend easily, even a vigorous wiper change would be enough, trust me.

Comment

I had this - just er, encouraged the wiper to sit a bit flatter and it was fine.
                  S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Trying to tap more thread on the splined shaft is definitely not a good idea. All wiper arms bend, that's how they work. Just give it a tweak, as suggested.

Comment

I have tried "tweeking the arm..however the problem exists on the lower part of the arm it catches on the knuckle..???

Comment

Here's a couple of pictures of mine, the nearest point to the bonnet is where the two rivets are and the gap is around 4mm from the bonnet

wiper arm sits nearly horizontal with the plastic scuttle panel

Comment

I have tried "tweeking the arm..however the problem exists on the lower part of the arm it catches on the knuckle..???
                          That's the bit I bent, mine still has a light grazing where it was coming into contact with the bonnet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                            Here's a couple of pictures of mine, the nearest point to the bonnet is where the two rivets are and the gap is around 4mm from the bonnet

wiper arm sits nearly horizontal with the plastic scuttle panel

Top marks for the tidiest wiper arms on the forum.
                            S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

clearer picture,

Comment

Working...
                              X