No announcement yet.

Difficulty engaging gears when warm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the original hose fails, replace it with OEM. Mines done 230K and remains fine. Braided hoses are known to cause vibration etc. Doesn't make any sense to me, unless perhaps cheaper?
    S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
      If the original hose fails, replace it with OEM. Mines done 230K and remains fine. Braided hoses are known to cause vibration etc. Doesn't make any sense to me, unless perhaps cheaper?
      If it is the original hose it would be well worth changing as a preventative measure as it will fail at some point.

If you don't mind your fillings being rattled out I suspect the braided hoses are better value and will provide a more responsive peddle

Comment

Just use a standard brake hose! You can get them with the same fittings as the clutch hose but still rubber and a lot stiffer-walled as it's designed for dealing with brakeline pressures (thousands of PSI), without the potential of vibration carrying down a hard braided/teflon line.

The OE clutch hose is soft and does bulge when the pedal is pressed; I never had any problems as such with mine but changed it anyway as part of maintenance so I got a brake hose as it doesn't expand. Most selection issues are a combination of hose/bleeding/gearbox oil (ie not just the hose).

Biggest difference to the shift on mine was when I changed the gearbox oil to AMSOIL MTF.
        Last edited by c_w; 28-06-2017, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Had a Earls hose fitted back in 2009? and never had any vibration issue or further gear engagement problems, currently have standard spec oil in gearbox and gear change is fine.

Comment

The vibration only ever presented itself at high revs ;)

It makes sense that there is a chance this will happen as the engine and gearbox are entirely suspended by rubber, and the clutch hose is attached to a rigid pipe on the bulkhead; if the connection from that to the gearbox is via braided pipe (which has a hard teflon pipe inner), there's a good chance some noise/vibration will transfer through it.

Comment

For what it's worth, it make the car feel and sound a lot racier :-)
              S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                The vibration only ever presented itself at high revs ;)

It makes sense that there is a chance this will happen as the engine and gearbox are entirely suspended by rubber, and the clutch hose is attached to a rigid pipe on the bulkhead; if the connection from that to the gearbox is via braided pipe (which has a hard teflon pipe inner), there's a good chance some noise/vibration will transfer through it.

Maybe I have been lucky but I have never noticed any vibration after having it fitted at any revs high or low . Looks to be a common problem not only on the z3m but also the E36 M3 from the numbers sold on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E36-M3...AAAOxyI5VSNulo

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                  Maybe I have been lucky but I have never noticed any vibration after having it fitted at any revs high or low . Looks to be a common problem not only on the z3m but also the E36 M3 from the numbers sold on ebay

Same here..no probs

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post

No question it's a popular upgrade due to common gear selection problems and most people won't notice [any NVH], but I reckon the £8.50 brake hose I used is a better bet, if not as fancy looking!

Comment

What kind of vibration do you guys talk of? Through the clutch pedal?
                      Would replacing with a brand new OEM item fix the problem?
                      Any idea how many hours labour?

Comment

I think I'd describe as a sensation more than vibration.
                        Only at high revs and only when changing gear, and only for a brief moment, accompanied by a bit of transmission noise of some description.

All happened as soon as I got it done so I know that's the cause. It isn't an issue, so not changed back and obviously the gear change is now spot on.
                        Last edited by Seca Blue; 29-06-2017, 08:47 PM.
                        S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Originally posted by Seca Blue View Post
                          Only at high revs and only when changing gear, and o lot for a brief moment, accompanied by a bit of transmission noise if some description.

All happened as soon as I got it done so I know that's the cause. It isn't an issue, so not changed back and obviously the gear change is now spot on.
                          Agreed, it's a tiny amount and really doesn't bother me

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

Originally posted by Seca Blue View Post
                            Only at high revs and only when changing gear, and o lot for a brief moment, accompanied by a bit of transmission noise if some description.

Yea that's how I would describe it, like a recoil resonance.

Comment

It seems my car developed hard shifting when hot issue too!

So I already have braided clutch hose for about 10 years, and amsoil mtf probably (~3 years very low miles). I don't remember ever having problems with this. It seems to be heat-soak sensitive - most pronounced after car has been parked for 1-2 hours after a drive.

And it is really due to inadequate clutch disengagement. I can feel this just putting pressure on gear lever against 1st - and I can feel drivetrain gets loaded a bit. Doesn't happen when car is cold.

So given I have almost everything already in place to mitigate this.. maybe the brake fluid (also used for clutch) is the culprit?

Comment

For what its worth, I have a braided clutch, new fluids, new clutch, the works and it still occasionally happens but only when manoeuvring after a long drive

Comment

Working...
                                X