Hi all, still havent got an M Coupe yet but will be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all, still havent got an M Coupe yet but will be

getting one. I have posted on here before, however, i chose to go with an imported japanese number namely a Celica GT4 ST205, dont know if any of you are aware of that.

In anycase, its 4WD and that was the main reason why i chose it, however, i regret it know having seen an MCoupe pass me the other day, the view of the rear of that car is gorgeous and lets be honest, thats the view most would get.

Here is my question though. I`m adamant that in the next 1-2 months I will be a proud M coupe owner, however, i`m contemplating a number of things.

I have been doing a lot of research about Z3M`s both on these forums and elsewhere, 368s etc etc and this is my dilemna

S54 or S50, i know the former is more recent and has a bit more HP but also has the problems with the e46 engine. It does, however, i am led to believe have greater mid and top end but the the S50 has a greater low end due to the diff (i`m not a mechanic,just regurgitating things i`ve read).

Now having read around the post, there is plenty out there this is my dilemna. do i go with the more "bulletproof" S50 and use FI or do i stick with NA and get a S54. Is the drive that much different between the S50 and S54, has anyone on here owned both. I also appreciate the S54 is more likely to come with a warranty although having read around that here there seems to be an excess with every claim if you manage to beat the "wear and tear" caveat.
    Is the driving experience with FI that much better that it just makes going with a NA S54 a no-brainer and the drivability, reliability issues a non-entity.

I dont know, i just dont know, all i know is that i want one.I chose the turbo`d GT4 as it has similar speed, evo getting 5.2s (0-60) although the look of the ZM is to me just beautiful. I just want an engine with endless pull but i dont want reliability issues.

Does anyone here have any experience with running a FI s50, is it livable, do you need to get your hands oily every sunday to keep it on the road. Which ones are the best, there are plenty AA, GPower, some fella in Turkey DA Motorsport has installed it on an MRoadster. They all presumably come with warranties.Damn i`m rambling.

I want one but which one. Test drive perhaps is the only answer but what are owners experiences and those with more knowledge of mechanically related matters(perhaps practically everyone on here)

Are you sure you don't confuse US S52 engine to euro S50?
    Euro S50(321hp) is almost as powerful as the S54(325hp), the difference is so small that the most of the people wouldn't even notice it. Euro M Coupes all have same differential, US S52 does not.
    S50 - '99 Estoril/Estoril-Black
    Mods - KW 3 Coilovers, H&R ARBs, Raid steering wheel, Wiechers Sport half-rollcage & strut brace, Simota CAI, Powerflex front and beam bushes, Beyern Mesh 18".

Comment

The history and differences are explained here too:
      http://www.bmwz3coupe.com/storia.asp
      The M Coupe ... For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

Now ... S54: Sapphire Black/Black-Black/HK+6/Cruise/Sun Roof/H~Lamp wash///ACS Road Suspension/Rogue Engineering rear top mounts/Braided clutch hose
      RIP ... S50: Artic Silver/Black-Grey/HK+6/Cruise/Side 'bags/Grad Tint///ACS Short Shift/Strong Strut/K&N/HIDs & Angels

Comment

yes thanks for that link

i am aware of the difference in BHP between S52 and S54 but it was the S50 i was thinking of. i have read that it seems a bit wheezy in comparison to the S54 above 4.5-5000 rpm. Is this true?

Comment

Re: yes thanks for that link

Originally posted by cfcdoc
          i am aware of the difference in BHP between S52 and S54 but it was the S50 i was thinking of. i have read that it seems a bit wheezy in comparison to the S54 above 4.5-5000 rpm. Is this true?
          S54 is a little smoother engine, biggest difference is the drive-by-wire and the DSC in the S54.
          S50 - '99 Estoril/Estoril-Black
          Mods - KW 3 Coilovers, H&R ARBs, Raid steering wheel, Wiechers Sport half-rollcage & strut brace, Simota CAI, Powerflex front and beam bushes, Beyern Mesh 18".

Comment

Working...
          X