No announcement yet.

Exhaust manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a demonstration for you on what it would sound like if you did it right with a couple of other mods like mentioned before lightened flywheel etc except for the quick flat upchanges with the sequential box be ready for some Jaw dropping.

I used to have a similar set up on my old E30 M3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9fMR...earch=BMW%20M3

Comment

Originally posted by THE ANIMAL
      exdos it’s not just a couple of extra hp its 50+ hp gain.
      THE ANIMAL,

Yes, I understand that the gain is as large as 50+ hp. All I am questioning is that, in the case of the S54, with the OEM intake manifold having a large plenum and other than not being made of CF, is of essentially a similar design to the M3 CSL one, what percentage of that 50+hp gain is down to the Alpha-N and what percentage is attributable to a CF airbox of similar design? I somehow can't accept that you need to both things to achieve any gain at all, although I can accept that doing both may give a greater gain than doing either seperately. My enquiring mind just likes to know these things :wink:

Originally posted by r80ter
      how you can name it after yourself seems a little big headed, but your write up of how to do it is very thorough and for the novice its a very simple and FREE mod!
      r80ter,

Nobody else, novice or otherwise (if you're trying to put me down :wink:) had worked out the Exdos mod before I did, even though the MC and MR had been around for some 7 years. What else do you suggest I call the mod? Is "the mod to the air-intake pipe inside the air-filter box where you cut it all off to stop the airflow being strangulated" more to your taste :?: :wink: I can't see how you think it's bigheaded of me to give it the title that I have because in case you haven't gathered, Exdos is not my real name, and you wouldn't know who I was if you bumped into me in the street. Very few members of this forum who have met me even know my surname and they don't even call me "Exdos" when we meet .:wink:

You'll have to get your "thinking cap" on and work out a "r80ter mod" we can all share for free :wink: 8)
      /// Exdos ///
      "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

its seems to be difficult to find anyone who does something like this, particularly in ireland! a mate of mine has an e36 m3 with a similar setup but still has the MAF, sounds the nuts!
        BBS LMs, KWv3, H&R ARBs, Wiechers half cage, Wiechers front strut brace, Gruppe M

Comment

Originally posted by exdos
          how you can name it after yourself seems a little big headed, but your write up of how to do it is very thorough and for the novice its a very simple and FREE mod!
          r80ter,

Nobody else, novice or otherwise (if you're trying to put me down :wink:) had worked out the Exdos mod before I did, even though the MC and MR had been around for some 7 years. What else do you suggest I call the mod? Is "the mod to the air-intake pipe inside the air-filter box where you cut it all off to stop the airflow being strangulated" more to your taste :?: :wink: I can't see how you think it's bigheaded of me to give it the title that I have because in case you haven't gathered, Exdos is not my real name, and you wouldn't know who I was if you bumped into me in the street. Very few members of this forum who have met me even know my surname and they don't even call me "Exdos" when we meet .:wink:

You'll have to get your "thinking cap" on and work out a "r80ter mod" we can all share for free :wink: 8)
          So back in the mid 90's when the M3, 328sport were released there was nobody who had already done this, Sorry for being so naive. There was me thinking I knew of this modification before the Z3 was even released!

I wasnt trying to put you down at all, i think some of the knowledge you have and you share is very useful, I have personaly learnt a great deal from your extensive suspension write up and for that I thank you.

I had gathered that Exdos was not your real name! but as a regular on forums, people know you better by your user name, in the Z3/ZMC world, the name "exdos" is quite well known.

As for a "rooter Mod" Hmmm I will have to have a think about that.... watch this space! but as for a suggestion on a better name for the airbox mod? how about "Breathe easy mod" lol, i should be in marketing!

I hope you have not taken offence, as that was not my intention.

R80TER. (scott)

Comment

For manifolds have a chat with Pat at Primary Designs. they usually work on F1 & WRC cars but have also done manifolds for road cars & will do one offs as well I bought an inconel manifold with zirconia coating for my last car i also had a titanium exhaust and decat pipe and the quality is top notch . It wont be cheap though :wink: but expect to get very noticeable performance gains

http://www.racecar.co.uk/primarydesigns/

Some of the teams they have worked on :wink:

Renault F1
            Redbull Racing
            Toyota F1
            BAR
            Jaguar Racing
            Williams F1
            Jordan Grand Prix
            Sauber F1
            Benetton F1
            Lotus F1
            Leyton House
            Tyrell
            Arrows GP
            Simtek
            Pacific
            McLaren Cars
            McLaren Motorsport
            Lola Cars
            TWR Group
            BTCC Teams
            DTM Teams
            Ford World Rally
            Mitsubishi Ralliart
            Vauxhall/Opel Rally
            Nissan Motorsport
            Prodrive

Comment

they may be able to help with turbo charging as well

Comment

So back in the mid 90's when the M3, 328sport were released there was nobody who had already done this, Sorry for being so naive. There was me thinking I knew of this modification before the Z3 was even released!
                I fully realise that there are others who are far more "petrolheaded" than me and know the specifications of cars inside out, and I was blissfully unaware of anything similar done to M3s in the mid-1990s. I worked out the Exdos mod from scientific first principles. If the mid 90's M3, 328 sport shares the same or similar air-filter box with the S50 and S54 MC and MR then where were you and all the other petrolheads to tell us all about this mod before I did :?:

I hope you have not taken offence, as that was not my intention.
                As a long-standing active participant on this and other internet forums, I realise that all posters are there to be shot at and I can easily understand why many members are primarily "lurkers". I've received my share of abuse and ridicule on this forum for bothering to share information with others, and I've questioned myself several times as to whether it's worth the effort in typing the words when you feel at times that others are being churlish, even about trivial things like the title you give to an idea that you are sharing for no personal reward. No, I haven't taken offence. I merely ask myself again should I resort to becoming a lurker and have a fit of pique and delete all my posts :?:
                /// Exdos ///
                "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

no, I like reading yours and other posts on the forum and I think there is a lack of activity at the best of times.

having said that I have visited many forums from the cars I have owned:

SELOC.co.uk(lotus), Porschaforum.co.uk,BM3W.co.uk,Vx220.org.uk, Zroadster.co.uk.

and this forum/marque has a much tighter community than others

without people like you this place would not even be worth logging on to.
                  Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
                  New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

Lee,

Thanks for your kind comments, but I wasn't looking for praise, support or gratitude from anyone in writing what I did. I feel the same as you about this forum and since the overwhelming majority of members of this forum are a very friendly lot and as equally willing to share information and ideas with me, on balance, I am more than happy to reciprocate. We all learn from each other. I'll put up with a little back-biting for all the good things that this forum offers.

Now, lets get back to some facts and figures. When you get a 50+hp gain from fitting a CF air-intake system and coinverting to Alpha-N what percentage of that 50+ hp is down to the CF intake and what percentage is attributable to the CF air-intake in the case of a S54 MC
                    :?:
                    /// Exdos ///

Comment

The material used isn't going to affect things IMO, and the extra 50bhp is from much more than the intake. The CSL is rated at 360bhp but afaik has different cams, higher rev limit etc?

Comment

Lee,

There was a link to the thread below, posted on the zroadster.net. The first post in the thread is a good description of the S54 engine and worth downloading for future reference. There is a bit of a description of the air-intake manifold being "designed for the maximum volume required for the S54 engine" and that it is different to the M3 version because of the "hood dimensions". That seems to answer one of your earlier questions.

http://www.bm3w.co.uk/ubbthreads/sho...0&fpart=1&vc=1
                        /// Exdos ///

Comment

Working...
                        X