Weighted Gear knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weighted Gear knob

When I had a drive in Lee's MC back on the Welsh Weekend, I was particularly taken by the way his Whalen Shift Machine, which is basically a heavy gear knob, made changing gear so much easier than with my OEM gear knob.

I've wanted to retain the BMW leather gear knob appearance rather than have a metal one. A couple of months back, I found a source on ebay of BMW weighted gear knobs as at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-S...44719372QQrdZ1
    I fitted the new gear knob and it does make a difference to gear changing. The BMW weighted knob isn't as heavy as the WSM but it's about an inch shorter than OEM. The weighted knob isn't illuminated, but otherwise it retains the look of the OEM. It's an absolute doddle to swap the knobs over.

/// Exdos ///
    "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

I have a weighted shift knob (heavier than the whalen!) in my car and I totally agree - it takes the notchiness out of the change and makes the driving experience even better. The shortness of it compared to the OEM one will also reduce the throw.

This one looks good if you want to retain the OEM look. Good find

Comment

And the same pricipal can be applied to the AC Schnitzer one as well :wink:
      Black S50

Comment

Looks good - just ordered.
        Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Comment

or see my review of this

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum2/viewt...ighlight=shift

Comment

I like the illumination. Exdos - Is there any space for adding some weight to OEM?

James

Comment

James,

There is no space at all inside the OEM to add weight. I also like the illumination, but I much prefer a better gear change, so I compromised in having a weighted leather knob. I didn't really fancy a metal gear knob.
              /// Exdos ///
              "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

You get those also from motors.ebay.de. About 60 euros or something.
                S50 - '99 Estoril/Estoril-Black
                Mods - KW 3 Coilovers, H&R ARBs, Raid steering wheel, Wiechers Sport half-rollcage & strut brace, Simota CAI, Powerflex front and beam bushes, Beyern Mesh 18".

Comment

I've just received mine in the post and have to agree with Exdos, it really does look spot on. Any tips on changing the gear knobs over?

Comment

my German isn't up to much but this looks like an illimunated version of the one Exdos found??

http://cgi.ebay.de/BMW-Short-Shift-M...QQcmdZViewItem

translation anyone?
                    PhilT.

2002 S54
                    Titanium Silver/Laguna Seca Blue

Comment

Here is a terrible translation from the web!

BMW Short SHIFT m-Schaltknauf in leathers LIGHTS UP * NEW *
                      Article number: 260055148471

They offer here on original a BMW m-Schaltknauf in leathers with chrome ring.
                      The Schaltknauf is NEW and OVP.
                      The super optics of this Schaltknaufes pulls all to view of itself!

The Schaltknauf fits on each BMW! all the same whether you drive a 3er or a 5er, whether this new or already 15 years is old. The change is completely simply, simply the old Schaltknauf take off and the new Schaltknauf attach. The lighting was inserted with the help of a red LED produces by us.

When desired the Schaltknauf can be supplied also with blue lighting or as 6 course.

To the auction price still another lump sum of 6,90 EUR for dispatch, packing, etc. is added.

Ebay fees are carried naturally to 100% by us.

For questions: 09305/989618 (starting from 18 o'clock)

Ex S54 - She has gone....

Comment

Offered here an original a BMW m-gear shift knob in leather with chrome ring.
                        The shift knob is NEW & packed in its original packaging.

The super look/light of this gear shifter pulls all to view of itself! :?: :?:
                        This lit shift will draw alot of attention (or something like that!! )

The shift knob fits on any BMW whether you drive a 3-series or a 5-series, whether new or 15 years is old.
                        The re-fit is easy: simply take off the old shift knob and attach the new.
                        The lighting achieved with the help of a red LED, built in by us.
                        If you wish, the shift knob can also be devilvered with blue lighting or as 6 speed.
                        To the auction price add another sum of 6,90 EUR for dispatch, packing, etc.
                        Ebay fees are carried 100% by us naturally.

This is using a little bit of an on-line translator and some crappy technical German i know ... ops:
                        The M Coupe ... For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

Now ... S54: Sapphire Black/Black-Black/HK+6/Cruise/Sun Roof/H~Lamp wash///ACS Road Suspension/Rogue Engineering rear top mounts/Braided clutch hose
                        RIP ... S50: Artic Silver/Black-Grey/HK+6/Cruise/Side 'bags/Grad Tint///ACS Short Shift/Strong Strut/K&N/HIDs & Angels

Comment

Originally posted by PhilT View Post
                          my German isn't up to much but this looks like an illimunated version of the one Exdos found??

http://cgi.ebay.de/BMW-Short-Shift-M...QQcmdZViewItem

translation anyone?
                          Phil,

Did you buy one of these in the end? Was it weighted aswell as being shorter?

How did you find the rewiring?

I am also looking at getting a weighted short shifter and if these are weighted I'll buy one but no mention of the item being "weighted" in the decription

Cheers

Dave
                          EX: S50 Black with Kyalami Orange/Black Leather. Becker Bluetooth/Ipod HU.
                          Now: S50 Black/Black with Ap Racing brakes and Race logic

Comment

I fitted the e-bay version that Exdos has to my MC a few months ago. Its definitely a worthwhile and reasonably cheap upgrade. Fitting was a doddle:

1. Push the gator surrounding the gear stick inwards from the sides at the bottom to unclip.

2. disconnect the illumination wire (my connector was hidden behind lots of foam).

3. Give the oem knob a yank to remove.

4. push and snap on the new one.
                            '99 Estoril/Estoril & Black

Comment

Thanks for the info Chris.

I assume you got the un-illuminated version? From the same guy who exdos bought off? I know he's still selling them so may just go to him. Fancied an illuminated one but not sure. May just go for one of them.

thanks again

David
                              EX: S50 Black with Kyalami Orange/Black Leather. Becker Bluetooth/Ipod HU.
                              Now: S50 Black/Black with Ap Racing brakes and Race logic

Comment

Working...
                              X