Operating oil temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operating oil temp

the manual says you should only exceed 4000 rpm when the oil temp reaches 60°C.........what temp does everything think is a safe one to exploit the rev range???

I do think it depends what grade of oil you are using as to what is your engines optimum running temp. I personally wont rev over 4000rmp until the oil is nearer 80°C which is pretty much its cruising temp. My oil reaches around 100-110°C when im having fun ;)

Current - BMW M6
    Previous - Estoril S50 '98

KW V3's, ACS Splitters, H&R ARB's, Rogue Engineering rear top mounts,
    Carbon Induction kit, Supersprint Exhaust, BBS 19" CH alloys, Strong Strut

Comment

It did seem a bit low to me and I also tend to wait until it goes to 80 or 90 before being able to drive a little more enthusiatically ;) and until then I won't exceed 3000 rpm..........don't know what type of oil it is as car was serviced at BMW just before I bought it and the invoice doesn't say what grade, I would assume it's probably not the best....

Comment

How long does it take you to get your oil to 60degs? I think my gauge might be dodgy. When I warm mine up in the morning it takes about 10 mins to get the water hot and even then the oil temp hasn't gone above 50.
        But after 5 mins of driving the oil temp increases up to normal temp 80 odd.

Whats it like with your MC's?
        Imola S50 1999

Comment

Yea, takes about 15minutes to get the oil up to near normal temperatues, obviously longer now it's getting colder.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
            Yea, takes about 15minutes to get the oil up to near normal temperatues, obviously longer now it's getting colder.

Mines about the same.
            EX: S50 Black with Kyalami Orange/Black Leather. Becker Bluetooth/Ipod HU.
            Now: S50 Black/Black with Ap Racing brakes and Race logic

Comment

I would never rev to the limit until the oil is at/ above 80 deg. The M3 I had, had a marker at 80 for this exact reason although the lights on the dash dissapeared slightly before this.
              Ex 2001 S54
              New cars:
              Lotus Carlton
              350Z

Comment

I do not rev above 2000 until oil temperature is up which takes about 7-8 minutes - grinning Reliant Robin owners who fly past me please note.
                Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Comment

Originally posted by coupe fan View Post
                  I do not rev above 2000 until oil temperature is up which takes about 7-8 minutes - grinning Reliant Robin owners who fly past me please note.
                  LOl.

It can be hard sometimes cant it?

Its always when your in "warm up" mode that you seem to come across all the belters who think they've just done an ///M.
                  EX: S50 Black with Kyalami Orange/Black Leather. Becker Bluetooth/Ipod HU.
                  Now: S50 Black/Black with Ap Racing brakes and Race logic

Comment

I do not rev above 3000 if the oil temp is not around 100 (or more) degrees C.
                    (well, now I do not Rev. at all - Bearing shells failure - see my post on the matter).
                    ///M Coupe 2001 S54 Steel Grey - Paulo M.
                    -------------------------------------------
                    ----- Sporting Clube Portugal - Forever -----

Comment

Originally posted by don.juan View Post
                      I do not rev above 3000 if the oil temp is not around 100 (or more) degrees C.
                      (well, now I do not Rev. at all - Bearing shells failure - see my post on the matter).
                      Mine tends to settle at around 90ish and won't see 100degrees or more without faster driving; must be your hotter climate!

Comment

I think Ben prefers to wait till his oil is nearer 150°C before giving it the beans ;)

Current - BMW M6
                        Previous - Estoril S50 '98

KW V3's, ACS Splitters, H&R ARB's, Rogue Engineering rear top mounts,
                        Carbon Induction kit, Supersprint Exhaust, BBS 19" CH alloys, Strong Strut

Comment

Originally posted by coupe fan View Post
                          That is not always even a good thing. I'm little out of words in English, but when your car has "too low" rpm it isn't any better than too big when engine is cold.
                          S50 - '99 Imola Red/Red-Black
                          Mods - KW V3, Powerflex Bushes, Wiechers Strut Brace, H&R ARBs, FOX exhaust, KT4 New Racer 18" wheels, Pagid racing brake pads (yellow), Motul rfb600 racing fuids, untill now ;)

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                            Mine tends to settle at around 90ish and won't see 100degrees or more without faster driving; must be your hotter climate!
                            On a cold night it does not always reach 100...but during the day it gets to 100 and if I press on the pedal it reaches 110 and if the day is hot normal driving will get it to 110. This is normal on the S50 and S54 here in Portugal, be them M3s or Z3s...
                            ///M Coupe 2001 S54 Steel Grey - Paulo M.
                            -------------------------------------------
                            ----- Sporting Clube Portugal - Forever -----

Comment

Speedou you are correct.
                              If too high a gear is selected and you find you have to give more throttle to achive the desired speed, (labouring the engine) this is indeed a bad thing. As more throttle is added the in-cylinder pressures are larger - and as a consequense the load on bearings are larger (not a good thing when the oil is not up to temperature).
                              Imola S50 1999

Comment

Working...
                              X