Blown Coil pack leads to DME / ECU failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maahny View Post
    I'm not sure how true the 15 updates thing is - I have written (remaps) to my old ECU and some customers ECU's far more than 15 times without any issues.
    Its defintely right - I guess it just applies to some older cars its not true of the newer cars. Maybe the M style ones are better anyway so even an old M DME will be ok.
    Ex 2001 S54
    New cars:
    Lotus Carlton
    350Z

Comment

When you hook up a diagnostics machine to the car, is it the engine ECU it talks to for related error codes (for all faults, ie airbag etc) or is there another central ECU for general diagnostics? What happens when they are not "aligned" will the car just not start?

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
        When you hook up a diagnostics machine to the car, is it the engine ECU it talks to for related error codes (for all faults, ie airbag etc) or is there another central ECU for general diagnostics? What happens when they are not "aligned" will the car just not start?
        Yes it speaks to the ECU - the ECU itself contains more than the software to run the engine.

If the EWS is not aligned the car will not start.

Comment

Originally posted by maahny View Post
          Yes it speaks to the ECU - the ECU itself contains more than the software to run the engine.

If the EWS is not aligned the car will not start.
          Sorry to hijack; Maahny, have you ever come across a car that won't talk to a diagnostics machine, but the car otherwise runs fine? Cos I can't get mine to communicate with any diagnostic machines (tried 3 on it now), but nothing else seems up. I got an airbag light on last year that I tried to reset (this is what highlighted the problem; the airbag light is still on as it won't communicate with the car).

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
            Sorry to hijack; Maahny, have you ever come across a car that won't talk to a diagnostics machine, but the car otherwise runs fine? Cos I can't get mine to communicate with any diagnostic machines (tried 3 on it now), but nothing else seems up. I got an airbag light on last year that I tried to reset (this is what highlighted the problem; the airbag light is still on as it won't communicate with the car).

Not had that problem on a BMW but have had it with a Seat. If BMW dealer diagnostic or Autologic doesnt communicate with it I would wonder what is causing the issue.

Comment

Here's the latest update:

Last weekend we plugged in to the car using an OBD socket and inteface - combined with carsoft running off a laptop. The Carsoft was easily able to read the cars fault codes from the original DME and new DME when installed. We cleared the fault codes and began to initiate the alignment process with the EWS module.

Removal of the old damaged DME/ECU and replaced it with the unit from the E36 M3 evo that I sourced. They are identical in every way....

Removal of the old unit:

The DME's have a huge connection inteface that just simply unclips.

The laptop that is running carsoft plugs into the OBD port in the engine bay.

At the end of all of this we hit a big snag in that carsoft just refused to run the ISN alignment with the new DME. Following this I did some research and found that I am not the first person encounter the problem with Carsoft / BMW alignment. It seems to do this alignment I would need to use autologic or a dealer Modic.

So back to square one! Well not quite. My friend Ian who by trade is an electronics engineer opened my damaged DME and traced the fault back to a specific componant on the board. So I had two choices - I could canibolise the known good DME for the required componant or try and get another damaged unit to canibolise. I was hoping this CP controller inside the DME would be the same on another BMW 6 pot DME however I can confirm that after stripping down a 323 and 328 DME they are different.

In the meantime ebay turned up trumps (well hopefully) and I've bought this. SO the idea in theory is to take the damaged coil controller from my DME and fit the good one from the ebay DME.

The car ATM is declared sorn so luckily there is no rush to get this job done.

Next update to follow in due course...

@ Maahny-Do you have autologic at your garage?
              Last edited by h4pry; 09-06-2008, 01:59 PM.
              Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
              In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Comment

No we don't have it - we usually use either Bexleys, Sanspeed or Phil Crouch who all have one. Bexleys and Sanspeed are down Kent way so give them a shout and tell them Imran from Evolve sent you.

Comment

Ok...so job done and car is back on the road.

By traceing the resistance across all 6 CP's we were able identify the bad one. Moreover being the last one on the board in theory would dictate that it is for the #6.

We then managed to strip down the spare DME and remove its #6 Coil pack transistor. Then we dismantled my DME and removed the burned out unit and fitted the donor one.

Worked first time. Big thanks to my electronics engineer friend

I will now offer a repair service on DME's that have suffered a similar fate to all S50 forum members.

Here's the pics:

DME out of the car...

Pictures of the 6 CP drivers with the heat sink over them...

Picture of the defective componant....

Thanks for all the replies to this thread.
                  Last edited by h4pry; 24-06-2008, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Update 30/07/08

Just to report back that after a month or so of driving with my repaired ECU the car is performing brilliantly. Amazing to think that the car was repaired for 99p when the dealer wanted over £1k for fitting a new ECU. Moreover having just had a dealer inspection 1 she is running so smoothly and as such has totally re-inspired my love for the MC.

Oversteer and sheer driveability has never been so much fun.

Next on the list for the car is a suspension overhaul. I'd also like to investigate at some stage my suspicion that the fan / belts etc could do with renewing.

Cheers.

Comment

Good news and a great thread
                      Current: 2005 330i Sport
                      Sold but never forgotten: 2000 Estoril S50

Comment

Amazing thread, inspiring stuff.

h4pry - Do you remember if you #6 spark plug looked discoloured/sooty or whether it looked fine?

I have similar (perhaps less severe) syptoms but my plugs all look good.
                        Imola S50 1999

Comment

Hi,

sorry to dig up an old thread but i think the same thing has happened my E36 M3.

h4pry - do you still repair these?

Mark

Comment

Blown coil and ECU pack

I am happy to recommend MJF Engineering. Quick phone call. He arranged for a contact to collect it from the garage and fixed it within two days.
                            I have a 330i M Sport back and running great. Mark knows his stuff.

Comment

Working...
                            X