Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something worth checking

Hi Guys,

A few of you may have noticed a little problem I encountered last week - it appears the bracket holding the diff to the car failed and the end result is below. I'm sure this is a rare occurence but deffo worth a look to see if there's any signs of fatigue.

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/photopost/uploads/435/Diff.jpg

Hopefully get the car back tomorrow.

That looks serious, hope it didn't cause too much damage.

Hope everythings OK.

Comment

I'm quite surprised at the lack of response on this thread. Consider this - you are sat at a junction and pull out quickly to avoid traffic. Would you expect to find your rear diff hanging off the car ?

Comment

Originally posted by Broccers View Post
        I'm quite surprised at the lack of response on this thread. Consider this - you are sat at a junction and pull out quickly to avoid traffic. Would you expect to find your rear diff hanging off the car ?
        I'm also surprised, particularly that Exdos hasn't investigated with his usual enthusiasm and pretty clear thoughts. Would be good to get his input.

Comment

I can't see exactly which bit has broken on yours, but I think this is actually depressingly common. Various subframe failure issues are well documented on the US forums, and amongst them are failure of the diff mount itself. Have a look at pictures 7 and 11 on this page:

http://www.thelargeglass.com/bmw/subframe/

Is that what's gone on yours?

Paul

Comment

Hi Guys,

A few of you may have noticed a little problem I encountered last week - it appears the bracket holding the diff to the car failed and the end result is below. I'm sure this is a rare occurence but deffo worth a look to see if there's any signs of fatigue.

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/photopost/uploads/435/Diff.jpg

Hopefully get the car back tomorrow.
            1. Where there any warning signs or was it an instantaneous failure?
            2. Is it something BMW will cover as a goodwill gesture?
            3. How much did it cost to put right?

Greenbat

Ex MC Owner

Comment

Sorry Broccers, I forgot this was a car forum due to todays fun on here :-(

So from the pics it looks as though its the diff itself thats cracked/split, and not the car subframe?

Cant really understand how it can happen though, Hope BMW have helped you out on this.
              Let us know
              looking

Comment

Simon,
                best of luck with that. I am now going to get my garage to have a look at mine next week (have printed off your photo).

I have a rattle underneath for 10 minutes from cold and have, apparently, broken the floor pan/cover (or whatever it's called) so being removed for further examination.
                Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Comment

I check my coupes subframe every month or more often. I have a small crack on differential mount and I will take care of that, but its been there for years and haven't progressed. And this car is used mainly on track so it gets beating.

Some say that stiffer subframe bushings help to prevent subframe cracks.

And btw BMW refused to cover any costs, thanks BMW :)
                  Last edited by MrMicko; 15-06-2007, 10:42 AM.
                  S50 - '99 Estoril/Estoril-Black
                  Mods - KW 3 Coilovers, H&R ARBs, Raid steering wheel, Wiechers Sport half-rollcage & strut brace, Simota CAI, Powerflex front and beam bushes, Beyern Mesh 18".

Comment

Originally posted by Greenbat View Post
                    1. Where there any warning signs or was it an instantaneous failure?
                    2. Is it something BMW will cover as a goodwill gesture?
                    3. How much did it cost to put right?

Greenbat

1 - None at all.
                    2 - Initially I was quoted 500 quid but seeing how the warranty only ran out 5 weeks ago it was agreed that the damage could've been there while it was covered. I did have to pay though but not a lot.
                    3 - New case and labour and a bit of goodwill. I won't put the figure on here but can answer the question via pm should any one else encounter the same problem.

If you have a crack then I'd get the casing changed.

Comment

I've seen a few cases where the diff mount from the floor has cracks in it but I've never seen the diff casing break like that!

Comment

Broccers, can you remember scraping your Diff driving over rough roads or ruts? I've had 1 or 2 of these wincing moments and wonder how much abuse the casing can take.
                        '99 Estoril/Estoril & Black

Comment

Originally posted by Chris H View Post
                          Broccers, can you remember scraping your Diff driving over rough roads or ruts? I've had 1 or 2 of these wincing moments and wonder how much abuse the casing can take.
                          I'm pretty sure the lowest part of the rear are the rear exhaust back boxes (the diff sits higher than these).

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                            I'm pretty sure the lowest part of the rear are the rear exhaust back boxes (the diff sits higher than these).
                            That may be true, but I'm sure I've scraped my diff on country roads where the height difference (gravel mounds etc) is in the centre of the road.
                            '99 Estoril/Estoril & Black

Comment

Don't think its ever hit anything while I've owned the car.

Comment

Working...
                              X