Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > Z3MCoupé.com Forums > Welcome and New Owners Section
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24-09-2017, 08:53 PM

Default New owner. Silver 2000

As some of you may have seen, a silver m coupe was sold at CCA auctions on Saturday. I was the winning bidder! I put in a cheeky commission bid, not expecting to win.

https://www.classiccarauctions.co.uk/bmw-z3m-coupe-8081

Picking up the car tomorrow. I live in Northern Ireland and I haven't seen the car in the flesh!
Hoping there isn't too many surprises. After a short google search with its reg, I did find out about some of its history. It was owned by a guy in France for a while in 2014. I found it on a French forum thread. He had made lots of modifications with the suspension. And the one of the owners before him him had it fitted with a short shifter and Remus exhaust. All these things point to it having a hard life. He also had a few photos of the car at the Nurburgring

If anyone knows anything else about the cars history I'd love to hear about it. Unless it's really bad then maybe it's best you don't tell me

Plan with the car is to try and get it back to original. Get all the mechanical gremlins sorted. And get the bodywork back to its best. If it's as good as I hope, I plan to keep it and drive it!

I'm buying it with my Dad. Both of us have been fans of the m coupe since they were new. Always looking for one to buy but recently the prices have been untouchable. This one seems like a bargain, fingers crossed it's not buggered!
Old 24-09-2017, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum and congratulations. There is some history on the forum as at least a couple of owners have been forum members.
Old 24-09-2017, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Some details here,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9028
Old 24-09-2017, 10:12 PM

Welcome Chris

Old 24-09-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
Thanks for welcome and the link. Interesting that the short shifter was fitted early on. What's the deal with the short shifter? Big conversion? Is it a common modification? Is it easy to change back for originality? Is it even an improvement or was done for the track?

Also, I'm a bit worried about the oil leak. The description is very vague. Hopefully it's nothing major. Though it has been an advisory on the last few MOTs, so if it is something simple then surely it would have been fixed somewhere along the way.
Old 24-09-2017, 10:42 PM

Welcome.

The oil leak could be anything from the diff, or the engine most likely being from the rocker cover, the sump or vanos.

In any case, you got yourself a great deal!
Old 25-09-2017, 12:17 PM

I'd say most likely culprit of the oil leak is a small screw in valve on the back of the engine. Someone was selling new o-rings (which have a tendency to dry out as it's on the exhaust side of the enginge).
Old 25-09-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_w View Post
I'd say most likely culprit of the oil leak is a small screw in valve on the back of the engine. Someone was selling new o-rings (which have a tendency to dry out as it's on the exhaust side of the enginge).
Any photos of this and how accessible is it?

Link to the o ring?
Old 25-09-2017, 03:42 PM

It's called the constant pressure valve, it's up behind the exhaust manifolds and has a big flat head screwdriver slot to undo and tighten. I bought a new one as that was the only way to get a new o-ring from BMW, but there was a thread a while back where someone had a run made, or you can buy them for about £5 from some aftermarket places.

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...light=pressure

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...QrZbM64FBs2oww
Old 25-09-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_w View Post
I had the valve replaced earlier this year as had the odd drip of oil on garage floor. Got my Indy to replace it as he said the spring loses tension anyway.
The undertray was very oily, all cleaned, no further leaks.

I'll have a look later when I get home for the details.

Chris W, welcome to the site, you'll find loads of information to help you on here.

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos black/black interior.

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/black
interior.
2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black/black interior
1986 M635
1985 E28 M5
1983 E28 528i Alpina

Last edited by petecossie; 25-09-2017 at 04:01 PM.