No announcement yet.

Braided clutch line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's time for the two yearly brake fluid change on my car, so I thought I'd have the clutch hose changed for a non CDV type at the same time. Can't see the point of spending £24 on a braided one if a brake hose does the same job. I was wondering if the one previously linked to

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-315-32...#ht_1505wt_954

will work on an S54 as well, or are they different (c_w????)? Many thanks.
    2001 S54 Silver with Red/Black interior. Totally standard.

Comment

BMW's diagram/parts list for this is not clear, but the "hose assembly" part numer is the same for both cars.

I can't see there being a difference as it's the same clutch/gearbox so I would say yes!

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
        BMW's diagram/parts list for this is not clear, but the "hose assembly" part numer is the same for both cars.

I can't see there being a difference as it's the same clutch/gearbox so I would say yes!
        Thank you, sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatter View Post
          It's time for the two yearly brake fluid change on my car, so I thought I'd have the clutch hose changed for a non CDV type at the same time. Can't see the point of spending £24 on a braided one if a brake hose does the same job. I was wondering if the one previously linked to

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-315-32...#ht_1505wt_954

will work on an S54 as well, or are they different (c_w????)? Many thanks.
          Hi Hatter - did this one fit your S54?

I have noticed over the past couple of weeks that when my engine/gearbox is hot I can struggle to engage any gear. Clutch pedal itself feels fine but I am wondering if the hose itself is "bulging" when hot and needs replacing?
          Last edited by Spooks; 25-07-2012, 12:05 PM.
          2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Hi Spooks. Yup, just fitted it but haven't really got a chance to test it properly. My shifts were never THAT bad, but they do seem smoother now - although haven't got the car properly hot yet. What I have noticed is that the clutch bite point has moved up, so I'm no longer dragging the clutch if I don't push it all the way to the floor.

Will get some decent runs in over the next couple of days and let you know how it feels when it's hot.

Comment

Hi Spooks. Yup, just fitted it but haven't really got a chance to test it properly. My shifts were never THAT bad, but they do seem smoother now - although haven't got the car properly hot yet. What I have noticed is that the clutch bite point has moved up, so I'm no longer dragging the clutch if I don't push it all the way to the floor.

Will get some decent runs in over the next couple of days and let you know how it feels when it's hot.
              Cheers.

How easy a swap is it? What is involved?
              2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

I was going to do it myself, but surprisingly BMW only quoted £37 for the job - saved me from making a mess of it. A little bit of searching proved that it doesn't look a particularly difficult job, but bleeding the slave cylinder could be a real pain...

Comment

I was going to do it myself, but surprisingly BMW only quoted £37 for the job - saved me from making a mess of it. A little bit of searching proved that it doesn't look a particularly difficult job, but bleeding the slave cylinder could be a real pain...
                  Like you say, not worth the hassle for that kind of price! Did they ask any questions as to why you were fitting a brake hose to it?!

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                    Hi Hatter - did this one fit your S54?

I have noticed over the past couple of weeks that when my engine/gearbox is hot I can struggle to engage any gear. Clutch pedal itself feels fine but I am wondering if the hose itself is "bulging" when hot and needs replacing?
                    Yes the clutch hose does indeed bulge when the pedal is pressed, even a new one would! You can see it when under the car and someone presses the clutch down. It's too soft but a brake hose is completely different and designed for 2000psi.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                      Like you say, not worth the hassle for that kind of price! Did they ask any questions as to why you were fitting a brake hose to it?!
                      There was a bit of 'we only fit BMW parts', but they agreed to do it. To be honest I don't think they'd seen a Coupe for so long they wouldn't have known the difference between a clutch and a brake hose....

Comment

To be honest I don't think they'd seen a Coupe for so long they wouldn't have known the difference between a clutch and a brake hose....
                        I think that applies to a lot of the technicians nowadays!!

Thanks for the responses, will get on ordered and fitted.

Comment

Spooks - sorry for the late reply - been on holiday. I've had a chance to drive the car a few times now and get everything up to temp. There is a definite improvement with the shifts being easier and no change in quality as the temp's rise. Worth it for the price .

Comment

Well I have ordered one and it has been delivered, just need to find the time to get it fitted! Mine has only been a trouble when the weather/engine/gearbox has been hot - hopefully it will sort it out.

Will report back when installed!

Comment

theres this one too (i think febi bilstein is an OEM spec supplier for BMW parts)

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370622704804

Click here to email me

Comment

fitted picture,

Comment

Working...
                                X