My S50 Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My S50 Journey

the Story started last August 2012. As i wasn't too sure if the world was going to end on December 21st and was thinking of ways to enjoy my last days I was at work in the office and as you do you have a look on ebay for a bargain. I was looking at M coupes (not to buy one, just seeing the market) and i saw an imola red in need to serious TLC. I believe it was bought to most peoples attention on here. It had been sitting for 5 years and was knocking from the bottom end. at the time i had no intention of buying it but was at a very low price so watched it. the day of the auction came and i decided to go and have a look at it. Once i got there i fell in love. even though she needed work i saw the potential of a great coupe. 112k on the clock, brakes were binded, windows didnt move etc. On impulse i made him an offer and he took it. . I was now a proud owner of one of my dream cars.

Here is a couple of pics from when i viewed her.

I left the car with there and arranged for it to be transported to CPC for an engine rebuild. I picked the car up 3 weeks later and was..... well disappointed. It felt like a ferry. It was not what i was expecting to say the least. At the Mot I spoke to my local mechanic and he said that the whole suspension is old, rusty and needs to be replaced. inc dampers, bushes, droplinks etc. I also found a lot of play in the rack so after some research there i opted for a 2004 318ti compact for £60

I already sourced a set of wheels from a friend of mine very cheap so any form of modification was put on hold apart from them. my main focus was to sort the suspension. I still had my s2000 at this time and my funds were tied up in that. I had to let her go which was quite sad for me but at least now i could focus on the coupe.

Over the last couple of months i have had to focus on more pressing matters and I cycle to work so the car has pretty much been sitting on my drive not doing much at all. After a recent setback with the engine rebuild and a horrible vanos bill, I decided to set a journel up as I am ready to get this coupe back to where she needs to be.

Today arrived my

H&R ArB's
    Rear Spax Shocks
    diff and gb Fluids
    Meyle HD Droplinks

I already had Steering rack, new discs and redstuff pads All i need now is Front shocks and i think i have decided to go with b8's. I will more and likely source them today. Oh and Rear mounts are needed. I was going to source rogue mounts but as a member pointed out to me, i may just buy the reinforced top plates and meyle mounts. just waiting to here back.

Last but from what i hear not least are the inserts. Thanks to C_W and Dave, I will be making my inserts for the rear sub frame

I plan to have this all done withing the next month. I am only gonna be able to really do things on the weekend as work has been demanding recently.

While i am here I would like to thank you all for your advice and wealth of knowledge. It has made this journey so much easier.

I will update as I conquer each task
    Last edited by dollag; 16-06-2015, 09:03 PM.

The factory suspension is on the pretty soft side so even a new car feels soft in contemporary company let alone compared with modern performance stuff. Shame really as BMW could have made it so much stiffer/sharper without ruining the ride. That said, I enjoyed my car on the road when it was standard as it was actually very comfortable but it's when it was pushed 7/10 or more it got too loose and wallowy.

Comment

well a sudden turn of events.

I have just bought Koni adjustable front shocks. They popped up on demon tweeks outlet for £95 each delivered. I called them asap as i was shocked at the price. Said they were old stock so just clearing out.

Comment

Originally posted by dollag View Post
        well a sudden turn of events.

I have just bought Koni adjustable front shocks. They popped up on demon tweeks outlet for £95 each delivered. I called them asap as i was shocked at the price. Said they were old stock so just clearing out.
        I'm sure you probably know that the Koni front dampers are "inserts" which means a bit of DIY fettling to put them on the car. They should be good though.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
          I'm sure you probably know that the Koni front dampers are "inserts" which means a bit of DIY fettling to put them on the car. They should be good though.
          I actually was not aware till after a bought them It was not mentioned in Previous posts i was reading (unless i missed it)

It shouldn't be too much of an issue (i hope) to get them fitted

Comment

Looking good :-)

I know what you mean regarding the handling, Seems to be quite a few of us working on suspension (particularly rear) at the moment. I need to look in to these subframe bush inserts as well - hopefully this weekend!

Keep up the good work

Comment

So most of my goodies arrived this week and so i got to work straight away.
              The nice postman delivered...

I ramped the car up and got to work. The first thing i noticed is that the car is showing its age under there. rusty bolts everywhere. i will be changing them all over due course. I wanted to tackle the ARb's 1st as i need to pick up some more tools for other work.

Was pretty straight forward apart from the drop links. I ended up angle grinding them off as it seemed to be the easiest solution. Once off i compared them.

As most of you know they are a lot thicker than the oem. i got some meyle HD links and attached the new arbs

My exhaust bolts were totally rusted away so i couldnt remove the back boxes. With some help i managed to lever them so i could slide the old bar out which was a pig to do. other than that it went pretty well. I went round the block to test and all seems well. the knocking has gone from the shot droplinks and the car feels a lot tighter. I havent really tested them though.

Tommorow i will start on the shocks and mounts. Im dredding the interior removal but once done i shouldnt have to do it again.
              Last edited by dollag; 31-05-2013, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Last week I also intalled a new pioneer bluetooth Head unit and my focal k2p Components to the roof mounts and doors. the Harmon Kardan speakers were blown in the roof mounts and I already had them from my previous vehicle. I have wired them up to the Original HK amp. I have also installed my kicker sub and matching directed amp but the box is waaaay too big so will be thinking of alternatives. While i was changing the door speakers i sprayed the covers as they were also looking a little tired. I am very impressed with the sound in the coupe. even for its age the car seems to hold the sound very well.

Comment

Looking good. Can't tell too well from the photo but is the headunit a retro looking with achrome knob and illumination to match the interior?
                  2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                    Looking good. Can't tell too well from the photo but is the headunit a retro looking with achrome knob and illumination to match the interior?
                    your spot on. I will take a pic in the day but the illumination can be changed to what colour you desire and so i got it as close the the dials as possible. The chrome bezel adds a nice touch and compliments the 3 dials beneath

Comment

Originally posted by dollag View Post
                      your spot on. I will take a pic in the day but the illumination can be changed to what colour you desire and so i got it as close the the dials as possible. The chrome bezel adds a nice touch and compliments the 3 dials beneath
                      It would be interesting to see, I would quite like Bluetooth. Does it work with the BMW CD changer?
                      2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                        It would be interesting to see, I would quite like Bluetooth. Does it work with the BMW CD changer?
                        http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/25...0PRS/page.html

This is the head unit. It has 2 usb outputs so I have an ipod that lives in the glove box and and my iphone 5 (with different connection wired up so i can use the phone as i please. i am not sure about the cd changer I', afraid.

Comment

Over the last 2 days I have concentrated on top mounts, rears shocks, Koni inserts for front shocks and complete brake disc and pad change.

Its been an interesting 2 days to say the least but all work is now completed. The Koni inserts proved fairly challenging. Once i cut off the casing and slotted out the original insert the koni would not go in. after a long time filing and grinding, it finally slotted in. The front shocks had a lot of corrosion so i wire brushed off all the rust and old paint and sprayed them with hammerite. They look like new. I forgot to take pics of the procedure as there was a lot of swearing and throwing tools at this time.
                          I have heard a lot of great things about the koni inserts and
                          i got them at half the price a set of b8's would of cost me. Would be interesting to go in a coupe with bilsteins and compare.

Next up was the dreaded rear top mounts. To be honest it was very simple just a bit time consuming to take out all the trim.

Here are my Spax rear shocks

My original shocks were both leaking slightly so this was a great time to change them.

After I slotted these in i attached my new reinforcing plates (thanks to brookscbr) to new meyle hd mounts

The pads and discs went on no problems. The car is all back together now. I havent been out as yet but I will report back as soon as I have an update.
                          I cannot imagine how much a local mechanic would have charged as there was a lot of labour involved. As long as your fairly handy with a spanner (and im no Edd china), there is no reason this cannot be attempted at home by most.
                          Last edited by dollag; 02-06-2013, 07:17 PM.

Comment

The head unit looks nice, would like to see it in the flesh.

Looks like you've earned a pint!

Comment

Should feel a lot better now, tomorrows drive to work should be fun :-)

I'm liking your wheels too

Comment

Working...
                              X