Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with my rear springs markings

Hi

I have just received standard rear spring from BMW, but, I have received 2 boxed pairs. BMW are confused as they understand these usually come individually (as did fronts).

I was in the process of returning 1 pair when I noticed slightly different paint markings between the pairs, applied by hand brush strokes. One pair has 4 white marks + 2 red marks. The other pair has 4 white + 2 white. The part numbers on each box are the same. See images...

Can anyone enlighten me?

Part number: 33 53 9 071 957
    Attached Files

Nobody in the car parts industry seems to understand springs when you buy replacements. Seems to be a bit of a black art/pot luck. The markings usually refer to spring type/stiffness and is common on most makes to be marked like that. Normally BMW should have a chart to refer to the spring codes but might be a factory info only.

I'd measure the heights (they look about the same) and get some caliper gauges to measure the thickness of the spring. The thicker spring will be slightly stiffer but offer a slightly higher rideheight. I bet they're just hte same though.

But wit hsame part number I'd be confident either will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by fatcat View Post
      Hi

I have just received standard rear spring from BMW, but, I have received 2 boxed pairs. BMW are confused as they understand these usually come individually (as did fronts).

I was in the process of returning 1 pair when I noticed slightly different paint markings between the pairs, applied by hand brush strokes. One pair has 4 white marks + 2 red marks. The other pair has 4 white + 2 white. The part numbers on each box are the same. See images...

Can anyone enlighten me?

Part number: 33 53 9 071 957

Part number is for a set so you should receive 2 springs not sure why the markings are different though. - my old springs had 4 white lines no red
      Last edited by Dave P; 09-01-2018, 05:08 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Thanks for the replies. They measure the same height and thickness...

Comment

Working...
        X