Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which bushings to use to minimize rear end steering and boot floor stresses ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c_w View Post
    It makes a MASSIVE difference, just rolling on and lifting off the throttle the rear end feels loads more controlled and less loose.

On my car I fitted a "set" of 4 which means two inserts per side to fill the two holes in each bush. But I felt that there was a little too much NVH coming through so I removed the more "forward" inserts from the bushings, my theory being when power is applied it is the "rearward" inserts that will resist any push/crush forward. So I remove the more forward inserts and NVH is reduced but the control is probably 85% still there. I think DaveP did the same too.
    Yes I had just two fitted to take up the slack, I searched on ebay USA and found the original supplier of these plastic shims but he doesn't list them anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by JuhaV View Post
      Are you guys using your cars for trackdays ? Can these plastic inserts take that kind of beating without disintegrating into plastic powder ?

I am not too eager to pull down the whole rear end for bush replacement but would like to find a relatively final solution. I am doing 3-5 trackdays per summer. On the normal road use the soft bush effect is less evident, but still irritating. On the track I feel it is sometimes even dangerous.
      I've used mine on track for a few years, I'd say the benefit is wanted for both road and track in equal measure, just that for road use it's best to keep NVH in check.

If you're not dropping the subframe to replace the bushings then this bush inserts really work by literally filling the void in the bush which gives it so much movement. This plus limiting spacers above the subframe really tie the rear end down.

If you ever jack the rear up and use an axle stand under the subframe it will sink up inside the car an inch or so before it hits the "bump stop" on the body. Once you fill that gap (can easily be seen when you drop the front of the rear arch liner) it prevents this movement so it stops the subframe rotating on x-plane is that is the right term. In theory you need to drop the subframe fit the ACS alloy spacers but I used rubber with a cut in it to wrap around the subframe stubs with a spot of glue to stop them falling out (they're still there 5 years or so later!).

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
        I used rubber with a cut in it to wrap around the subframe stubs with a spot of glue to stop them falling out (they're still there 5 years or so later!).
        I will take a look what is the condition of my original bushes and if they seem to be ok I may try the plastic inserts plus this wrap-around rubber washer idea, which sounds like a good idea.

There are those special cyanoacrylate based super glues for rubber which are used to make, for example, custom size O-rings. Such glue would seal the wrap-around rubber washer very nicely in place.
        The older I get, the faster I was ...
        BMW HP2 Sport
        ex- BMW Z3 M Coupe - Cosmosschwartz Metallic

Comment

Working...
        X