Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failed front suspension - time for a refresh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Knightrider View Post
    Might have got it the wrong way round... I will call a few dealers and check...
    I get trade discount and know the parts guys well at Sytner in High Wycombe. Given our location that would be the easiest to get parts in.

Let me know by PM what you need.

Russ

My BSL. Breadvan Sport Lightweight.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
      Where did ACS express their opinion of BMW shocks Dave?
      The standard dampers are something that would better befit a standard saloon car. I remember picking my standard Coupe up and was really impressed with the ride quality! The downside is that the car is floaty and bouncy when you go faster than "6/10s". You would be amazed with the Bilstein B6/8, they give such a controlled/stable feel to the car without being harsh.

So I would imagine ACS would sell the springs with the dampers as a lowering kit and wouldn't recommend stock dampers (the standard dampers would be too long, if nothing else).
      Last edited by c_w; 29-04-2017, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
        The standard dampers are something that would better befit a standard saloon car. I remember picking my standard Coupe up and was really impressed with the ride quality! The downside is that the car is floaty and bouncy when you go faster than "6/10s". You would be amazed with the Bilstein B6/8, they give such a controlled/stable feel to the car without being harsh.

So I would imagine ACS would sell the springs with the dampers as a lowering kit and wouldn't recommend stock dampers (the standard dampers would be too long, if nothing else).
        I don't find my car to be "floaty or bouncy" at all with OEM setup. As said earlier, the OEM setup firms up at speed and I do not want any firmer ride in normal use.
        I remain interested in the ACS view Dave.
        S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

There are some bilsteins for sale on this forum.

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

I don't find my car to be "floaty or bouncy" at all with OEM setup. As said earlier, the OEM setup firms up at speed and I do not want any firmer ride in normal use.
            I remain interested in the ACS view Dave.
            It's great you find yours fine for your needs but it really is a soft set-up for a car of this type, and any contemporary (inc Z4M just a few years newer) will be much firmer.

Comment

Yes, but a number of reviews described the Z4MC as too hard, preferring the non M version for road use. Good that there are a number of views, which is what Knightrider asked for in his original post. Each to there own I say.
              S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Yes, but a number of reviews described the Z4MC as too hard, preferring the non M version for road use. Good that there are a number of views, which is what Knightrider asked for in his original post. Each to there own I say.
                Of course! But there is only one out of 10 (guestimate) preferring stock ;)

Stock springs with the B6 dampers would be a nice upgrade, retain some degree of the original ride but much better suspension control. Problem is genuine stock springs are so pricey. And most lowering springs are a bit too low at the back IMO, meaning you need to faff with thicker spring pads to get it level.

I think the issue with the Z4M was that the rear was a little stiff vs the front and on bumpy roads affected traction - the complete opposite to the Z3M!
                Last edited by c_w; 02-05-2017, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                  Of course! But there is only one out of 10 (guestimate) preferring stock ;)

Stock springs with the B6 dampers would be a nice upgrade, retain some degree of the original ride but much better suspension control. Problem is genuine stock springs are so pricey. And most lowering springs are a bit too low at the back IMO, meaning you need to faff with thicker spring pads to get it level.

I think the issue with the Z4M was that the rear was a little stiff vs the front and on bumpy roads affected traction - the complete opposite to the Z3M!
                  Guess I won't get elected then, up the independent view I say.

Comment

Quick update - B8s and H&R springs all installed and I picked it up this morning. Driving very well and sits very nicely. I was worried it would be too low, but looks good even allowing for the fact it will settle a bit. I took the long way to work through some country lanes in pretty poor condition, and it rides well without being to harsh or crashy. I actually think the ride is more comfortable than my Leon FR - although that is on 18s which doesn't help.

James at JTH performance did a great job for a very reasonable price - I would recommend him highly. He identified a very loose strut bolt and machined a new one - seems to have improved the steering a bit and there is less play, so I have left the rack for now.

Thanks to all who advised - especially Russell and David, and thanks to Ian for selling me his cast-offs! Shows that it pays to be a member of a forum like this!
                    '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Comment

Quick update - B8s and H&R springs all installed and I picked it up this morning. Driving very well and sits very nicely. I was worried it would be too low, but looks good even allowing for the fact it will settle a bit. I took the long way to work through some country lanes in pretty poor condition, and it rides well without being to harsh or crashy. I actually think the ride is more comfortable than my Leon FR - although that is on 18s which doesn't help.

James at JTH performance did a great job for a very reasonable price - I would recommend him highly. He identified a very loose strut bolt and machined a new one - seems to have improved the steering a bit and there is less play, so I have left the rack for now.

Thanks to all who advised - especially Russell and David, and thanks to Ian for selling me his cast-offs! Shows that it pays to be a member of a forum like this!
                      Very pleased you have found the suspension set up which works for you and the Coupe. James is a great guy, glad that worked out.

There does seem to be a few owners within our 20 mile radius, it would be a shame not to gather this summer.

Enjoy adding on the miles!

My BSL. Breadvan Sport Lightweight.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

Comment

Nice one
                        1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Glad the forum and its members helped out

Comment

Working...
                          X