No announcement yet.

S50/S54 Airboxes Filters & induction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to make clear - he is talking about S54, right?

Comment

Air Intake, etc.

Yes - your right, he is asking about the S54 - My info was for an S50!

Comment

These are really impressive numbers for a S50. > 340hp with intake and remap, maybe even little too optimistic. Stock are around 300hp, and remap usually gives you around 10hp? Too bad you don't have before dyno readings.

So did you notice any difference after valve clearences done?

Comment

on the board and see in rome and italy the only way to gains really the hp is airbox+ ecu alpha-n is 25-30hp but need good money..
          I had an big K&N filter when buyed,doing more noise and goes slowest...
          www.fastdrive.org
          S50 black/black-red In Rome
          Front BBK Stoptech Red+Eibach Sway Bars+Kw Clubsport Whit Camber plates+Weichers Strutbar+Agk Urethane front Silent Block & differential Bushing+Tuner Motorposrt Alluminium Rear Mount+Hamann Exaust

Comment

i've got the graphs for before & after, i will try & upload them this evening. I orginally took the car to another 'tuner' in Slough who failed to re map it at all due to equipment failure (on their part), but their inital reading was 278 bhp, which i found difficult to believe as the car performed so well, i had a chat with one of the senior engineers at Dick Lovetts in Bristol & he suggested having the valve clearances done first before remapping. They had the car overnight & done the job from cold the next morning and the differance was very noticable, then i went ahead & had the remap carried out & a Unichip fitted at the same time, so to get to 346 bhp i had valve clearances done, Gruppe M Induction kit, Unichip & remap - everything else engine wise is stock.

Comment

Thanks for explaining. What exactly means "Unichip"? I would appreciate the scans :)

Comment

airbox, etc

Finally got the remap figures completed but i am struggling to upload the document! Basically the figure are 307 bhp at the wheels with 365 at the engine - its quick! If anyone can help upload the dyno sheet i am happy to email it over to them to post?

Comment

Comment

airbox, etc

Thanks for posting this Dave.

Comment

307 bhp at the wheels is very strong. With the mods done (just airbox, exhaust and remap) it sounds too good. Maybe you got a 'good one' !
                      Ex 2001 S54
                      New cars:
                      Lotus Carlton
                      350Z

Comment

Originally posted by fastdrive View Post
                        doing more noise and goes slowest...

couldn't have put it better myself.

These things usually lose power, my friend had his civic type r on the dyno after a big filter was put on, lost him 10 bhp.
                        Ex 2001 S54
                        New cars:
                        Lotus Carlton
                        350Z

Comment

Here are a couple of graphs prepared from data from a datalogger connected to the ECU of my runaround C2 VTS on the open road. The first graph is an acceleration run at Wide Open throttle (WOT) with the OEM air intake (a typical OEM air-filter box with a snorkel intake). I've used the recorded data to calculate the Volumetric Efficiency (VE) and as you can see the VE is pretty similar and linear in the first 3 gears and the temperature of the air entering the engine progressively gets cooler during the run.

The next graph is an acceleration run with the same car at Wide Open throttle (WOT) with the OEM air intake removed and replaced with a typical Cold Air Induction (CAI) kit where I also placed an auxiliary external cold air feed from the front of the car directly to the CAI dual cone filter. Again, I've used the recorded data to calculate the Volumetric Efficiency (VE), which has been "standardised" in both graphs so that the Graph of VE always accounts for any difference in air temperature and so that the VE is always comparable between different runs and mods to the car. As you can see the temperature of the air entering the engine gets warmer for 7 seconds during the run before getting cooler and the VE is "wild" in the first two gears and only becomes linear in 3rd gear. The fluctuation of VE in 1st and 2nd gear with the CAI is very noticeable as uneven throttle response throughout the rev range. The VE doesn't increase in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gears with the CAI and it shows that the fitting of a CAI actually hurts performance of this car.

I know this data is not taken from a MC but I should imagine something similar might occur when replacing the MCs OEM air intake with an aftermarket CAI.
                          Last edited by exdos; 25-10-2010, 07:13 PM.
                          /// Exdos ///
                          "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

air box, etc

307 at the wheels is strong, and i think your right - the engine is a 'good one'. But lots of things have to come into play to make these sort of figures, none of the bolt on items will give their maximum if fitted in isolation, its the combination of all of them that starts producing these sort of outputs, this combined with having the engine in top condition before carrying out any modifications is what gets the power up. One of the best things to do is have the valve clearances set correctly, this engine has 105k miles on it and has an extensive BMW history but there is no record of the engine actually ever being apart, however when i first got it with approx 102k on it, i had it put on a dyno and it was showing 298 at the engine, with a good service, cleaning of the inlet manifolds, etc, and the valve clearances, it came up to 318 at the engine. The car is not road legal now as i am preparing it for racing, i have some further mods to do over the winter - changing the diff ratio, fitting roll cage & fire extinguisher system, plus looking to lose a bit more weight (the car, not me!) then i'm planning to enter in the Castle Combe modified GT class for 2011. Its 9 races all at Castle Combe with pretty well 'anything goes'. I will post the details here as soon as i have the dates, so if anyone would like to see a full racing MC get over to Castle Combe circuit!

Comment

Originally posted by exdos View Post
                              Here are a couple of graphs prepared from data from a datalogger connected to the ECU of my runaround C2 VTS on the open road. The first graph is an acceleration run at Wide Open throttle (WOT) with the OEM air intake (a typical OEM air-filter box with a snorkel intake). I've used the recorded data to calculate the Volumetric Efficiency (VE) and as you can see the VE is pretty similar and linear in the first 3 gears and the temperature of the air entering the engine progressively gets cooler during the run.

The next graph is an acceleration run with the same car at Wide Open throttle (WOT) with the OEM air intake removed and replaced with a typical Cold Air Induction (CAI) kit where I also placed an auxiliary external cold air feed from the front of the car directly to the CAI dual cone filter. Again, I've used the recorded data to calculate the Volumetric Efficiency (VE), which has been "standardised" in both graphs so that the Graph of VE always accounts for any difference in air temperature and so that the VE is always comparable between different runs and mods to the car. As you can see the temperature of the air entering the engine gets warmer for 7 seconds during the run before getting cooler and the VE is "wild" in the first two gears and only becomes linear in 3rd gear. The fluctuation of VE in 1st and 2nd gear with the CAI is very noticeable as uneven throttle response throughout the rev range. The VE doesn't increase in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gears with the CAI and it shows that the fitting of a CAI actually hurts performance of this car.

I know this data is not taken from a MC but I should imagine something similar might occur when replacing the MCs OEM air intake with an aftermarket CAI.
                              Hi John.
                              Any recent measures, just like these ones, but taken from your MC?
                              ///M Coupe 2001 S54 Steel Grey - Paulo M.
                              -------------------------------------------
                              ----- Sporting Clube Portugal - Forever -----

Comment

Originally posted by don.juan View Post
                                Hi John.
                                Any recent measures, just like these ones, but taken from your MC?
                                Paulo,

Whilst I was at The Ring in August I did some datalogging from my new S54 engine which I'd only just finished running-in before the journey to The Ring. Below is a graph prepared from the same Excel template that I used for the previous graphs that I've made for calculating Volumetric Efficiency (VE). The Excel template is completely "standardised" for VE so that the constant changes in air temperature are accounted for, so that the VE for every plot allows for comparison of performance of any car against another and the performance of the engine under varying circumstances.

I've chosen a short section of a lap for the preparation of this graph which shows two distinct periods of acceleration under Wide Open Throttle (WOT) which is really the only time when VE can be calculated.

As you know, I've done quite a lot of modification to the OEM air-intake system, and all of these mods have harnessed the OEM system's "ram effect" design to improve VE. The VE of my new engine at WOT starts at a maximum of 110% at the beginning of acceleration in a gear and reduces to 102.75% as the rpm increases.

As you can see, the VE of the S54 engine is considerably greater than my Citroen C2 VTS (VE of around 73% - 76%). I previously had a Ford Fiesta Ghia with a Zetec engine (with variable valve timing) which had a VE of around 90% - 86% after I modded the air intake. I think that the VANOS of the BMW engine makes a huge difference to the VE of a NA engine and that's why it's possible to get a VE of over 100%.

I understand that the theoretical maximum VE of a NA engine is around 115% and to get that would need some change to the internals (cams etc.).

/// Exdos ///
                                "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Working...
                                X