Exhaust or carbon airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which airbox do you have, Tom?
    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Made by a German company called verbundfasertechnik in the town of Opitz. http://www.vft-opitz.de/

This was taken yesterday:

Comment

Originally posted by issproking View Post
        I can tell you is in my opinion it sounds nothing like a Ferrari F430 having heard a few of these going round Knockhill.
        I did not say it sounds like a 430, I said it was as loud. Mine is louder than the 430 in comfort mode and for the purpose of this discussion as loud in race mode judging by the way people react to both when I drive them on the road and the sound from the cabin through built up city centre etc... Both are roady's. Our 458 sounds louder but that is not stock and I've not driven it as much yet.

This is a video of my driving the 430 in race mode through the Mersey tunnel, my Z3m has a totally different engine note of course but it is as loud.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qDnLLodWcOA

Of the 4 I prefer the sound of my air cooled porsche, it's the quietest of the 4 but has the most character with its burbles and pops. Not sure if that can be replicated from the BMW though.

The eisenmann was already fitted when I got the car and I've always assumed it was the race version, maybe not standard race, mine certainly is not quiet under full load or on overrun.

It would be interesting to hear an S50 / S54 with OEM striped out silencers to see how the straight 6 sounds.

Re the carbon air box, you need to be careful if comparing S54 from S50. I've never yet heard any none CSL S54 replicate the sound properly of the CSL. Unless something has been developed recently you need an OEM Csl setup and BMW won't sell you that unless you own a csl so far as I know. I've listened to M3s and even a Z4m which have had a fortune spent on them to try but they can't match it for sound. I'm not saying they don't get a nice induction but the Csl is intoxicating, especially when you chase once on a coast to Coast run for a day, it stays in the memory

The pic above for example simply won't get the same level of forced induction as the csl and much more engine heat soak due to the way the filter is exposed.
        Last edited by Jonttt; 23-02-2015, 12:32 AM.
        VIDEO or Journal

Comment

The most extreme airbox I have come across is the PTG version of the BMW grp A box. Would be great to find one even a good quality replica it would obviously need alpha n etc to get it to run right but the noise would be something else!

http://youtu.be/Wbh1Tn_ongo

Attached Files
          Last edited by UJM3; 23-02-2015, 04:45 AM.
          KW V3, H&R arbs, H&R 12mm Spacers, Weichers Strut Brace, Ireland Engineering Bushes, Uprated rear top mounts,swapped front top mounts, EBC Yellows, Simota CAI, Supersprint Exhaust, Shadow chrome Roadstars

Comment

Originally posted by topgeartom View Post
            Made by a German company called verbundfasertechnik in the town of Opitz. http://www.vft-opitz.de/

This was taken yesterday:
            Tom, what's the airbox like? Price? Did you obtain any gains other than sound?

Comment

It's my favourite mod I've ever done.

Not sure if there is any significant performance gain to be had. Mine has not had a full alpha-n map yet however. I had the Evolve s50 remap done before the box was fitted and this may well have helped as the car runs , idles and drives perfectly despite the missing maf sensor.

I would say the car feels slightly faster purely due to the extra theatre provided by the noise.

Having said that i would be intrigued to do a dyno run to see if there was any statistical gains.

Expect to pay over £1200 for a nice one.

Comment

Airbox all the way.

The sound is not comparable to any exhaust modifications. It just pts a grin on your face every time you hit the pedal

I have a Hamann exhaust and a Hamann airbox.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTVJudNTnVw

Comment

I think we should stop all talk of carbon air boxes before we end up doing a group buy that I can't afford to do, but would anyway
                    Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                    ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                    Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
                      I think we should stop all talk of carbon air boxes before we end up doing a group buy that I can't afford to do, but would anyway
                      Tony make sure you don't look at this thread,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17565

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
                        What's that Tony, group buy for one of these....

http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-...ons-p2437.aspx

2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

i had Hamann exaust
                          10kg lighter and 10hp,you feel an bit better but nothing to tell wow..
                          Appart the sound is quiet,an m3 e46 sound better stock..
                          The only think can remove the kat and good sound and another pair of hp amd 10kg less..
                          Airbox give 20-25hp..but for an good airbox and remap aroud 2/2.5k...
                          The my idea nice sound but 2k for 20cv seems to much..Waiting an day to turbo route spend 7-8k but had an monster!
                          www.fastdrive.org
                          S50 black/black-red In Rome
                          Front BBK Stoptech Red+Eibach Sway Bars+Kw Clubsport Whit Camber plates+Weichers Strutbar+Agk Urethane front Silent Block & differential Bushing+Tuner Motorposrt Alluminium Rear Mount+Hamann Exaust

Comment

Originally posted by fastdrive View Post
                            i had Hamann exaust
                            10kg lighter and 10hp,you feel an bit better but nothing to tell wow..
                            Appart the sound is quiet,an m3 e46 sound better stock..
                            The only think can remove the kat and good sound and another pair of hp amd 10kg less..
                            Airbox give 20-25hp..but for an good airbox and remap aroud 2/2.5k...
                            The my idea nice sound but 2k for 20cv seems to much..Waiting an day to turbo route spend 7-8k but had an monster!
                            Sorry but that must be advertised power benefit only.

Here´s the plain truth, look at my dyno data: 309 hp WITH airbox, matching remap and Hamann exhaust.
                            328 hp and more torque after Schmickler remap

http://z3mcoupe.com/forum/showpost.p...&postcount=100

Comment

I have actually got an Evolve carbon air box on order.

I will be selling my Evolve Simota carbon air filter.

I have nothing but praise for the job it has done. The sound is far more alive compared to a the standard air box and based on the RR runs there was an 25bhp (edited) gain when added with the Supersprint Back Box's. (back to back RR runs)

Mine is serial number 001 and I paid £550.

The air feed will be included and really does help to direct all the required cool air. Slightly miss aligned in photos but it does pretty much line up perfectly.

The CA lead times are around 4 - 6 weeks, or which mine should be here in 4 weeks I guess so would be remove it then.

I will put together a separate advert but if anyone is interested then for £399 it is yours. I am based in Thame if you would like to see or hear it etc.

IMO a must have.

I have an S54 spec engine so it maybe specific for that.

[IMG]

Last edited by KnightsG; 09-03-2015, 05:10 PM.

My BSL. Breadvan Sport Lightweight.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

Comment

Oh! I would be really interested to hear what you're having Evolve do, Alpha N etc. and if I can be nosey, how much?!

Comment

Working...
                                X