Windscreen washers not working - slightly strange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windscreen washers not working - slightly strange

Morning. A slightly strange one.... I'm on my second replacement washer pump and this one is playing up. The pump is whirring when you pull the stalk but no water sprays. Plenty of fluid in the reservoir so thought I'd check to see if it's actually pumping when the hose connectors are removed.

If I remove the hose for the front screen then nothing, if I fit that back on then remove the rear hose, it sprays the front screen. Is that another faulty pump or a blockage in the system?!

Cheers
    Ian
    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Check that there isn't a film of gunk across the bottom of the water tank where the pump sits. Often, different brands of screen wash don't mix well and can gunk up around the pump as they are drawn down.
    1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Check filter,

Comment

Filter, what filter?! Thinking about it, when I replaced the pump originally I cleaned the reservoir out to get rid of any gunk Ian mentioned and I have a funny feeling that there is a filter as part of the reservoir.

I had 5 minutes yesterday between rain showers so took the pump out, disconnected the two lines and blew through the ends, now I'm not quite sure but I think something came out of one side in the water, popped it all back together and it's now working again Cheers guys.

I do love a quick, cheap fix of a job..... unlike the £80 I had to spend to replace the xenon bulb on my wifes XC60 yesterday
        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Pull the pump out of the bottle leaving the rubber seal in the bottle. You should then get a fountain of water coming through the seal. If you don't the filter is blocked. When you remove the seal you will see the filter below it. It will be blocked with slime.

Regarding the washers doing funny things with one pipe off not sure way but that's normal.

Comment

Obviously spoke too soon as they've stopped working, again!

I get the water pouring out when I remove the pump so it's not a blockage in the reservoir. I'm wondering whether it's a pressure in the line problem or the pump itself.

Any further (educated) guesses appreciated!

Comment

How is the hose as it goes around the bonnet hinge? It cam get crimped (mine did). Another thing to look at are the washer nozzles themselves and any non return valve if you have it in line. They can get dunked up.

Maybe disconnecting the rear hose means more pressure goes to the front which overcomes the restriction?

Comment

Originally posted by siwilson View Post
                How is the hose as it goes around the bonnet hinge? It cam get crimped (mine did). Another thing to look at are the washer nozzles themselves and any non return valve if you have it in line. They can get dunked up.

Maybe disconnecting the rear hose means more pressure goes to the front which overcomes the restriction?
                Maybe so...I will check

Comment

If the pump is working i:e making noises,pull both hoses of the pump,mouthfull of water and blow thru them...you should get a dribble or something coming out of the jets...if you cannot get any air/water thru your problem is in the hose,there is a lot of elbow joints in the lines,i ripped the lot and replaced the whole pipework..no conectors,no elbows,nuffin!!! has worked seamlesly for years now !Good luck mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                    Filter, what filter?! Thinking about it, when I replaced the pump originally I cleaned the reservoir out to get rid of any gunk Ian mentioned and I have a funny feeling that there is a filter as part of the reservoir.

I had 5 minutes yesterday between rain showers so took the pump out, disconnected the two lines and blew through the ends, now I'm not quite sure but I think something came out of one side in the water, popped it all back together and it's now working again Cheers guys.

I do love a quick, cheap fix of a job..... unlike the £80 I had to spend to replace the xenon bulb on my wifes XC60 yesterday
                    Its a different set up on the S54 so the picture I posted with the filter is probably of little use

Comment

S54s have a non return valve built into the heated washer nozzles, very tough to blow through. I tried it and nearly pooped myself!

I would check that hose by the hinge.

Comment

I guess your Ass is alright then !!!

Comment

Originally posted by siwilson View Post
                          S54s have a non return valve built into the heated washer nozzles, very tough to blow through. I tried it and nearly pooped myself!

I would check that hose by the hinge.
                          Thanks for the heads up, could have been quiet nasty

Not had chance yet but will hopefully try at the weekend...

Comment

I had this last week as my MOT was due. So - check everything and as I don't use it very much in the rain, I hadn't used the front washer for a while.. Only a dribble from the front washers. It turned out it was exactly this - the small filter at the bottom of the screen wash 'bottle'.

Unfortunately, someone suggested blowing air through the pipes - so muggins here screws up and connects up the rear washer pipe to some air. And I blow a connector - which turns out appears to be between the inner offside wing and the engine bay. Assume I have to take the wheel off and the inner wing. Has anyone else done this? (Take the inner wing off...) Apologies if my terminology is adrift a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by davieb View Post
                              I had this last week as my MOT was due. So - check everything and as I don't use it very much in the rain, I hadn't used the front washer for a while.. Only a dribble from the front washers. It turned out it was exactly this - the small filter at the bottom of the screen wash 'bottle'.

Unfortunately, someone suggested blowing air through the pipes - so muggins here screws up and connects up the rear washer pipe to some air. And I blow a connector - which turns out appears to be between the inner offside wing and the engine bay. Assume I have to take the wheel off and the inner wing. Has anyone else done this? (Take the inner wing off...) Apologies if my terminology is adrift a bit.
                              The inner wing is metal so cant be removed as such, can you post a picture of where the part missing should be as it may be easier to just replace than strip your car down?

Comment

Working...
                              X