Windscreen washers not working - slightly strange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave B

It connects somewhere around the brake servo, just under it if memory serves correctly. It's in the large gromemt where the main wiring goes through the bulkhead. It then goes inside the car, I think the connector is a 90 degree elbow.

You might need to remove a few things to gain access.

If it's just for the MOT the rear washer/ wiper aren't a mot requirement.

Comment

This is engine bay side of the bulkhead, you can see the black rubber hose passes up behind the brake servo and pushes onto the bend coupler which is poking through from the cabin side

Comment

Well the plot thickens (and becomes more expensive!)....

Finally got around to looking at this problem tonight. First off I disconnected the front washer hose joint where it leaves the master cylinder area and heads off to the bonnet to check for any restrictions. Pulled the stalk to check and nothing comes out despite the pump whirring away. I then disconnected the front line from the pump to blow through, thinking there may be a blockage but without much effort at all I blew all the water out of the line. I then tried the rear by disconnecting it from the pump and could blow a bit out the rear. I then connected everything back up and tried the rear alone and noticed it was spluttering out so disconnected the hose from the double sprayer head and it pumped out. I then gave the rear double spray head a clean out with a pin and a good suck and got a bit of crap out of it (no rude comments please ). Thinking that may be the problem I connected it all back up and the front sprayed for a quick but hard blast and has stopped again. Now no matter whether I push or pull the stalk it sprays the rear

I can't find obstructions so surely it has to be the pump, despite it still whirring away?!

In the fun of all of this I broke off the little union where the rear hose joins the double spray head on the rear wiper arm.... this little sod....

Does anyone know if you can buy these separately or whether it only comes with a new rear arm?

Cheers
        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Available separately !

Comment

looks like number 3,

http://www.etk.cc/bmw/EN/search/sele...CE/61/61_1054/

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
              Available separately !
              Originally posted by Dave P View Post
              Just popped down to my local stealer, £18.71 I think it was......!!!!!!!! We did get a free sit in an i8 though....

Think I'm going to try and swap the motor later today.
              Last edited by Spooks; 04-07-2015, 11:44 AM.
              2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Hallelujah, it's fixed!

Got a new motor, for free, and it's fixed it but not without trying the first time and getting nothing at all. Disconnected and reconnected the hoses, possibly removing an air lock?, and it's working better than it has for a long time, far more powerful.

Comment

Glad to hear that it's fixed, and apologies for butting in to your thread, with my comments about the rear wash hose.

I had thought that the black plastic 'liner' sort of inner wing could be removed, but I stand to be corrected. Thanks for the pic, showing where the hose would go. I've had a look but can't see behind the servo, even with the use of a mirror, so I can't see where the bend coupler is - it would be so simple just to push it back on!

I'll keep persevering and find time to look properly.

Cheers for the comments.

Comment

Originally posted by davieb View Post
                    Glad to hear that it's fixed, and apologies for butting in to your thread, with my comments about the rear wash hose.

I had thought that the black plastic 'liner' sort of inner wing could be removed, but I stand to be corrected. Thanks for the pic, showing where the hose would go. I've had a look but can't see behind the servo, even with the use of a mirror, so I can't see where the bend coupler is - it would be so simple just to push it back on!

I'll keep persevering and find time to look properly.

Cheers for the comments.
                    here's a picture showing the inside entry point of the pipe,

Comment

I renewed the hose and ran it thru the grommet and joined using a straight connector inside the car,which made things a lot easier.

Comment

This is what it looks like behind the brake servo:

1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Picked the new nozzle up tonight, £24.04() but it does spray lovely; I never realised they actually had 3 jets in them before

But after testing it a few times with the arm sweeping as it should, can you F'in believe it that it would appear the motor has now packed up.... it's still spraying but not sweeping at all

Motor or wiring failure?!

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                            Picked the new nozzle up tonight, £24.04() but it does spray lovely; I never realised they actually had 3 jets in them before

But after testing it a few times with the arm sweeping as it should, can you F'in believe it that it would appear the motor has now packed up.... it's still spraying but not sweeping at all

Motor or wiring failure?!
                            check the wiring

Comment

Working...
                            X