No announcement yet.

How do I fit CSL brake discs to the MC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I fit CSL brake discs to the MC?

Would really appreciate some help with this project. The 19's going on my MC are quite open-spoked so am concerned the stock brake discs are going to look a bit on the weedy side.

Can't really justify the £3,000 or so it would cost to do BBK's front and rear, and I don't need the perfomance of 4 or 6 pots as it's unlikely I'll ever track the MC.

So am thinking of fitting the larger diameter E46 CSL discs (345mm front, 328mm rear compared to MC sizes of 315 and 312) to fill out the wheels - and I'm certainly not averse to how good the CSL cross drilled discs look. Any perfomance gain would be a bonus.

From reading the thread below (great write-up, thank you Chippy)

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...omative&page=3

it sounds like the CSL discs will fit the hub, will work with my OEM calipers, and all I need is a spacer bracket to push the calipers out.

My question is - any idea of the costs to get a bracket like this made?

Is it comparable to having the radial lug mount made up from scratch, and from reading Steve and Chippy's comments, this is prohibitively expensive unless you can find a ready made one - like MBT in Germany do for the 996/7 caliper fitments.

Am a bit disadvantaged figuring this out as can't look at my Coupe (it's back in NZ and I'm here etc). Any idea if the KWv3's I have will foul any spacer bracket assembly that I use?
    2000 Dakar MC
    1999 Cosmos Z3 2.8
    2004 545i Sport

I think the caliper mounting should be a lot easier than chippy's conversion as AFAIK the CSL caliper is similar to the Z3M (ie a one pot sliding caliper) so as long as the correct offset is maintained it's just a matter of spacing it out.

Comment

I have front brackets for 993 turbo calipers and CSL discs (to be fitted on Cheburator's Z4m), let me check on monday how much would it cost to machine another set
      have also rear brackets for 996 calipers running 993 disc on the Z3m (don't ask how:), but you can really use Porsche OEM disc i/o 200 gbp per side more expensive mo'vit ones), haven't tried to copy them but sure shall be possible, again more info on monday....

Comment

Actually, I think making a spacer to do this could be tricky. The Porsche brakes are probably radial mount, whereas I assume the CSL ones are lug mount like the MC ones, so you need a pair of mounting holes in the same plane as the current ones but 15mm further out. Given that the distance from the centre of the holes to the outside of the knuckle casting is probably more than 20mm, that's not really going to work.

Part 2 in this diagram is the important one:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...69&hg=34&fg=05

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pdwarren View Post
          Actually, I think making a spacer to do this could be tricky. The Porsche brakes are probably radial mount, whereas I assume the CSL ones are lug mount like the MC ones, so you need a pair of mounting holes in the same plane as the current ones but 15mm further out. Given that the distance from the centre of the holes to the outside of the knuckle casting is probably more than 20mm, that's not really going to work.

Part 2 in this diagram is the important one:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...69&hg=34&fg=05

Paul
          Cheers Paul - I see what you are saying - and for the rears the problem would be worse given would only be spacing 8mm. Am thinking it won't work with lug mount calipers. Too bad as I thought this could be a reasonably priced solution.

Originally posted by oxam View Post
          I have front brackets for 993 turbo calipers and CSL discs (to be fitted on Cheburator's Z4m), let me check on monday how much would it cost to machine another set
          have also rear brackets for 996 calipers running 993 disc on the Z3m (don't ask how:), but you can really use Porsche OEM disc i/o 200 gbp per side more expensive mo'vit ones), haven't tried to copy them but sure shall be possible, again more info on monday....
          Thanks Oxam - look forward to hearing what you can find out.
          2000 Dakar MC
          1999 Cosmos Z3 2.8
          2004 545i Sport

Comment

And a PS - can't believe what a bargain the BMW Performance BBK's for the E90 etc are:

338mm fronts

http://shop.speedreligion.net/bmw-pe...ront-830-p.asp

http://shop.speedreligion.net/bmw-pe...isc-1651-p.asp

http://shop.speedreligion.net/bmw-pe...ucts-381-c.asp
            2000 Dakar MC
            1999 Cosmos Z3 2.8
            2004 545i Sport

Comment

What about fitting the calipers and carriers from a CSL too? If the mounting hole spacing on the hubs between the e46 m3 and the z3mc are the same then that would be a good option.

Paul

Comment

so checked with the machine shop, front brackets would be 100 GBP with postage included. bolt on ones for 993tt calipers and CSL discs (no need for drilling like the MBT ones). Haven't heard anything about the rear ones yet but I would guess the same price.

Comment

Originally posted by oxam View Post
                  so checked with the machine shop, front brackets would be 100 GBP with postage included. bolt on ones for 993tt calipers and CSL discs (no need for drilling like the MBT ones). Haven't heard anything about the rear ones yet but I would guess the same price.
                  Thanks oxam - appreciate you checking. £100 for front brackets is definitely very reasonable and depending on the caliper price, would make it a reasonaly priced solution.

Will look around for 993TT calipers - but so far, they don't seem to be particularly easy to find secondhand. Some patience might be needed. Am assuming the 993TT calipers aren't used on any other Porsches but should check this to see if I can spread the net a bit wider.

Originally posted by Wav View Post
                  What about fitting the calipers and carriers from a CSL too? If the mounting hole spacing on the hubs between the e46 m3 and the z3mc are the same then that would be a good option.

Paul
                  Only going on second hand info, but I've seen comments that the calipers won't fit to the Z3MC hub - I understand the CSL brakes are the same as used on the Z4M and the performance pack for the E46 M3, and have seen discussions before where people weren't going to be able to use those brakes as an upgrade to their Z3M's without changing the hub etc.

Would definitely need to find the CSL carriers secondhand - they are about £200 apiece.
                  2000 Dakar MC
                  1999 Cosmos Z3 2.8
                  2004 545i Sport

Comment

my new frontaxle brake

here it is my new performance brake with CSL-disc´s

with the original 17" wheels

cheers,
                    Hans.
                    1998 S50 MC dakar, reimportet from Japan,
                    18" E46M3, KW V3, Powerflex, H&R Anti Roll Bars,
                    BMW Performance with CSL-Disc and HAWK Pads,
                    Michelin Sport Cup (only NBR)
                    --------------------------------------
                    No race, no fun!

Comment

Looks great! Can't believe that disc fits under the 17s!

Comment

That looks great Hans

What parts have you used to fit it all?
                        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Look great what size spacers did you need to fit for clearance?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                            Look great what size spacers did you need to fit for clearance?
                            I installed 20mm spacers on each side, but not because of the brake.
                            No race, no fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                              That looks great Hans

What parts have you used to fit it all?
                              The parts are from Wolfgang Koch,
                              a member from the german m-forum.
                              For more information, please send me a PN.
                              Or contact him directly, if it is possible.
                              No race, no fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X