No announcement yet.

Getting my imola S50 into shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, that looks like the one, colour coded rear spoiler, was parked under the bridge in the afternoon. really nice car. To be honest, it was brilliant to see so many good examples, up close. I will be posting my first lot of refurbishment pictures sometime this weekend. I am having the new rear screen fitted on Saturday morning and will take a few snaps of that happening, before, during and after etc. Gaz

Comment

looking forward to reading the rest of your restoration thread. I myself have 3 cars in progress (s54 M coupe, s50b32 M coupe and an 850ci)...some dirty pics for ya...

I decided instead of a step by step thread for the 850ci, I will be making a video and have all the pictures at each step. As for the s54 and s50 M coupes, they are pretty straight forward and will post threads on them.
      BMW Polygamy
      1988 E30 M3: stolen Zinnabarot/Tan
      1991 850Ci: Sold.
      1999 M Coupe: Sold
      2002 M Coupe: (US Spec, S54) Custom Black/Black, Powerflo Headers, UUC short shift, RK6A, RAID silberfil, 3.73 LSD, Randy Forbes sub-frame kit, ACS splitters & roof wing, rear diffuser, SSR GT3 18" wheels
      2006 Mini Cooper Sold

sigpic

Comment

nice cars! but you should make your own thread

we need more pics! of your cars and local surroundings

Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by indy View Post
          nice cars! but you should make your own thread

we need more pics! of your cars and local surroundings
          sorry about the thread jack...I will put up my own you are totally right...my apologies to the OP.
          BMW Polygamy
          2002 M Coupe: (US Spec, S54) Custom Black/Black, Powerflo Headers, UUC short shift, RK6A, RAID silberfil, 3.73 LSD, Randy Forbes sub-frame kit, ACS splitters & roof wing, rear diffuser, SSR GT3 18" wheels
          2006 Mini Cooper Sold

sigpic

Comment

Now that's just greedy, three beemers? I was very busy yesterday, got the new rear screen in and spent the rest of the day tidying up the wipers, fresh coat of satin black and fitted new blades all round, and plenty of detailed cleaning of the rear spoiler and tailgate rubbers etc. l will post pics later this evening but my wife needs to go to the shops and it would just be rude to not take her in the MC. I'm going to get the original glass refurbished now, get the scratch polished out and fresh black paint around the inside edge for the future or maybe for resale if needs must. Gaz

Comment

OK, so this is the start of my refurbishment project. I was hoping to prioratize the work needed to get my Imola S50 up to scratch but it just turned out that I have sorted certain things out before others and the work may be carried out in a slightly different order than was intended. Any way, one of the jobs on my initial list was to source a new rear screen, I just didn't appreciate how difficult they are to find. I did find a supplier in the states but by the time you have paid for it, then postage and the cost of fitting, it was beginning to add up. I couldn't believe my luck when I bumped into an old friend who knows a local auto glass fitter who after a short hunt and a few phone calls, managed to get me a new one and fitted it last Saturday morning.

This is the original before removal, notice the full width scratch, caused by a dodgy wiper blade and the horrible milky white fading to the black surround

Old glass out in one piece.

New glass cleaned and ready for fitting.

New glass fitted, spoiler cleaned, black up and back in place, with a freshly painted wiper and new wiper blades all round.

Finally, a spent a bit of time cleaning the tailgate area, struts, hinges and rubbers etc

Just need to get some new number plates ordered and fitted and the rear end will be as I want it to look. Leaving the car at our local dent master tomorrow. He is going to remove some car park dings on both doors and an initial inspection by an ex- bmw mechanic, who is supposed to be mustard with beemers and a bit cheaper than North Oxford garage, we'll see. Thanks for looking Gaz

Comment

Top stuff. How much did you get the screen for in the end?
                2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Great progress already!

Just to let you know, if you're fussy, that when getting new number plates they will most likely be using the new number plate front.

Your number plates look very old (original!) and they are using the original wider font which isn't used for making plates anymore.
                  Dick Lovett is a BMW dealer, if youre interested in keeping things new/original, maybe try and get the originals replicated (there's a guy who does copy original tax disc holders, he might know where to get plates from too)

His email is: pukar_designs@aol.com

Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Gazman View Post
                    Now that's just greedy, three beemers?
                    Yeah and if I had my way, I would have a beautiful Imola Coupe like yours for my UK trips....your car is georgous
                    Last edited by racer mxm; 30-07-2012, 12:26 AM.
                    BMW Polygamy
                    2006 Mini Cooper Sold

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by indy View Post
                      Great progress already!

Just to let you know, if you're fussy, that when getting new number plates they will most likely be using the new number plate front.

Your number plates look very old (original!) and they are using the original wider font which isn't used for making plates anymore.
                      Dick Lovett is a BMW dealer, if youre interested in keeping things new/original, maybe try and get the originals replicated (there's a guy who does copy original tax disc holders, he might know where to get plates from too)

His email is: pukar_designs@aol.com
                      Thanks for that, I will contact him and see what he say's.

Comment

I have used Pukar Designs for bespoke stickers and his work is spot on

Comment

Great work.

This might be helpful if you need anymore parts.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-BMW-Z...item4aa9bedf0a
                          Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
                          In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                            I have used Pukar Designs for bespoke stickers and his work is spot on

What stickers did you have made up, Dave? Do you have to send a template or does he just know?
                            Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
                            In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Comment

Originally posted by h4pry View Post
                              What stickers did you have made up, Dave? Do you have to send a template or does he just know?
                              I had a unleaded petrol sticker made up, sent him the first picture in thread,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...hlight=sticker

Comment

Originally posted by h4pry View Post
                                Great work.

This might be helpful if you need anymore parts.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-BMW-Z...item4aa9bedf0a
                                Thanks for that mate, spotted that earlier tonight, going to call them to see if they still have the original gear knob in nice condition, mine's a bit rough.

Comment

Working...
                                X