Airbox conversion S54

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don´t ask, first tankful was about 19 litres per 100km

Will eventually drop when the first hype is over, I must admit that I couldn´t resist letting her scream most of the time
    regards
    Peter

Comment

Hi there chaps, realise you're talking about the s54 and this may have been covered elsewhere, but for the s50, has anyone done this:
      http://www.brazeauracing.com/airbox.htm

remove the baffles? not so keen on the last bit of the above page, i.e. brake duct stuff, but removing the baffle seems so simples and effective for a bit of induction noise?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruski_11 View Post
        Hi there chaps, realise you're talking about the s54 and this may have been covered elsewhere, but for the s50, has anyone done this:

remove the baffles? not so keen on the last bit of the above page, i.e. brake duct stuff, but removing the baffle seems so simples and effective for a bit of induction noise?
        Or just do the Exdos mod and cut a section out of the intake pipe so the air doesn't have to double back on itself. I did a recce on mine last night to see how difficult it'd be only to find it's already been done

Comment

Do you want noise or power?
          /// Exdos ///
          "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Hi Bruski, this is a very good link, thanks!

The thing with brake duct is in my mind for quite some time. The reason is RPI scoop, which is small duct for stock E46/E92 M3, that initiates RAM effect. And its proven and dynoed that it brings 5-15 whp at 70 mph. Too bad they dont make them for E36 base, but then again - your link is exactly that. I hope whp gain is similar :)

Some info about rpi scoop:
            http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=232920
            http://shoprpi.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=101

Comment

Actually, looking again at this link, I think the US E36 M3 doesn't have the internal tube between brake duct and airbox, that our cars have. So with using this tube, the effect should be similiar to rpi scoops. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by exdos View Post
                Do you want noise or power?
                hey Exdos, thanks for the post. The s50 z3mc I'm speaking about already has your mod and a K&N filter (square not cone), so therefore would really like to get some noise up front. Also, the custom Exdos baffles removal in the exhaust has been completed as well so sounds nice breathing out, would really like to hear it breathing in (without going to expense of synter or CSL box).

Comment

hey Exdos, thanks for the post. The s50 z3mc I'm speaking about already has your mod and a K&N filter (square not cone), so therefore would really like to get some noise up front. Also, the custom Exdos baffles removal in the exhaust has been completed as well so sounds nice breathing out, would really like to hear it breathing in (without going to expense of synter or CSL box).
                  If you remove any of the OEM air intake system BEFORE the air filter box, then you will lose the ram effect (and consequently the power) that comes with increase in speed in "on the road" conditions. Again, you have to ask yourself, do you want noise or power?

To improve on noise AND power then you'd have to go for a much larger plenum/airbox like the CSL, but as you know that costs £££s.
                  /// Exdos ///
                  "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

true enough, would be nice to have freebie forced induction and noise to boot, but sounds like (mind the pun) that is the catch 22 hundred (i.e. the CSL setup req'd).
                    Power should be priority, but there is an awful lot of satisfaction in the induction roar.

Comment

Working...
                    X