Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fastdrive View Post
    very awesome vid!
    The 3.46 diff seems very help on the hills and med curves,but i think it's too short on the road...
    Then the road have too long straights between corners, ;) for me the road is only a transport to the track
    ///Fredrik Larsson

Z3M Coupe-99
    M3-88
    523iM-00

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
      I only think it feels a bit short on the motorway, other than that it's perfect as the standard 3.15 just feels too long on a/b-roads and on track. At the Ring it is actually a bit too short for the long straight (requires red lining in 5th for half the length) if you are doing a full lap.

Ideal setup is a 3.46 or even 3.64 with a 6sp box though! Only slight problem with BMW gearbox ratios is the 1st is too short so with the lower diffs it gets quite noticeable, would prefer longer 1st and closer gap to 2nd.
      My car (as you see in the vid) doesnt hit the rev limiter on Döttingerhöhe straight..
      But on autobahn no problems.... (255 GPS speed)

My 3:46 diff just broke down so Im not sure if I shall stick to that gear ratio or go for 3:64 or 3:73...
      Ist hard to say whats best in a time perspective because you might win in some sections and loose in some others..
      The 3:46 feels really good!

A 6-speed is not an option, its heavier!

Some people I know running trackdays in sweden have 3:73..
      I more or less only drive on the Ring...
      ///Fredrik Larsson

Z3M Coupe-99
      M3-88
      523iM-00

Comment

Originally posted by Frixen Z3M View Post
        My car (as you see in the vid) doesnt hit the rev limiter on Döttingerhöhe straight..
        But on autobahn no problems.... (255 GPS speed)

My 3:46 diff just broke down so Im not sure if I shall stick to that gear ratio or go for 3:64 or 3:73...
        Ist hard to say whats best in a time perspective because you might win in some sections and loose in some others..
        The 3:46 feels really good!

A 6-speed is not an option, its heavier!

Some people I know running trackdays in sweden have 3:73..
        I more or less only drive on the Ring...
        Is your limiter standard? I just found my car getting to just over 155ish pretty quick at the red line which feels like a looong time to hold down there. Was seeing 125deg oil temp too but I think my thermostat is sticky.

Yes I believe the 6 speed is heaver (20kg?) a fair amount but I always think if I could take that weight off somewhere else it'd be useful addition plus the gearbox being in the middle and low down the weight it is in the best place if you HAVE to add weight somewhere.

I would stick with 3.46 it is a good alrounder, a 3.64 would def feel a bit too short on the ring, perhaps not on shorter "normal" circuits and on TF but on full ring lap definitely too short IMO.

Comment

I would stick with 3.46 it is a good alrounder, a 3.64 would def feel a bit too short on the ring, perhaps not on shorter "normal" circuits and on TF but on full ring lap definitely too short IMO.
          I know my engine's characteristics are probably nothing like S50/54 but my MC with a 3.64 feels geared too short for the road. With the stock 3.15 it felt way too tall. There will be a 3.46 going in over winter.

Comment

I have the 6 -Speed gearbox with 3.91 diff ... In combinatin with my 315/25/19th wheels and the turning limit at 8000t/min it works very well ...

So all first 5 gears are very short and the 6th gear goes up to about 290 km/h
            greets Michi

Comment

Originally posted by fok View Post
              I know my engine's characteristics are probably nothing like S50/54 but my MC with a 3.64 feels geared too short for the road. With the stock 3.15 it felt way too tall. There will be a 3.46 going in over winter.
              Interesting, I always thought with a big V8 lump and slightly the 3.15 diff/gearing would feel short or at least easy for the engine to pull quickly?

Comment

Interesting, I always thought with a big V8 lump and slightly the 3.15 diff/gearing would feel short or at least easy for the engine to pull quickly?
                It felt really lazy with 3.15 but in part that could also be down to the ratios in my T56 box.......It all just feels a bit too frantic with 3.64 so 3.46 I think should be the best compromise.

Comment

Originally posted by fastdrive View Post
                  very awesome vid!
                  The 3.46 diff seems very help on the hills and med curves,but i think it's too short on the road...
                  lol...what would you think of the 3.73 LSD I have on my S54? Personally I love it...but then again, not a lot of highway driving here...
                  BMW Polygamy
                  1988 E30 M3: stolen Zinnabarot/Tan
                  1991 850Ci: Sold.
                  1999 M Coupe: Sold
                  2002 M Coupe: (US Spec, S54) Custom Black/Black, Powerflo Headers, UUC short shift, RK6A, RAID silberfil, 3.73 LSD, Randy Forbes sub-frame kit, ACS splitters & roof wing, rear diffuser, SSR GT3 18" wheels
                  2006 Mini Cooper Sold

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X