Replacing Rear brake shoes and cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    That's odd your picture at the bottom of the previous page clearly shows part 5 at the bottom where the shoes rest against.
    Yes but its part of the trailing arm itself not a separate bolted on part as show in realoem

Comment

Ahh OK my bad I can't remember how mine was as it was over 4 years ago I replaced my shoes and springs although I didn't do the cables I must admit.
      Aceman

Arctic Silver Z3MR

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
      ///M Badge Refurb available HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
        Looking at realoem for the handbrake parts it shows items 5 and 2 but these parts aren't fitted as far as I know

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=34_0930
        You are correct; I do however have a pair of them on hand, ordered prior to the first time I had to replace all the corroded handbrake parts...

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        That's odd your picture at the bottom of the previous page clearly shows part 5 at the bottom where the shoes rest against.
        That's a fixed boss as part of the hub carrier.

And Dave, that is an attractive rear brake setup, but I have to side with c_w that the grooved ones are less prone to develop stress cracks (ALL rotors can develop stress cracks, the holes just make it easier for them to start). As long as you periodically monitor their condition, you'll be fine. If you do some serious track events, you should monitor them quite often.
        Randy Forbes
        Sports Cars Plus, LLC
        Parrish, Florida, USA
        http://spcarsplus.com/piwigo/

Comment

I also ordered the parts as shown only to find they aren't needed, there are two bolts which look similar to the ones shown which bolt the bottom of the backplate to the trailing arm but they are shorter than the ones pictured.

The later part number for the other smaller bolts that attach the backplate is the same as the part used on the front wheel backplate but they are not a good fit as the washer is too large so I ended up using the old ones.

A good example of how wrong realoem can be.

Comment

A good example of how wrong realoem can be.
            Isn't ETK better as its what BMW actually use themselves?
            2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
              Isn't ETK better as its what BMW actually use themselves?
              ETK,

http://www.etk.cc/bmw/EN/search/sele...CE/34/34_0930/

Comment

This picture show the rear of the hub and lack of the separate part discussed also shows the incorrect fitting of the handbrake cables which should clip into the white holders attached to the petrol tank and onto the rear drop link bracket it should not go through the holes on the rear trailing arms themselves.

Comment

Picture showing correct fitting of handbrake cable

Comment

Comment

The link doesn't seem to work for me, timing out, but sounds correct. The guys at my local dealers said that's what they use if the main system goes down.
                      2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Picture showing correct fitting of handbrake cable

The plastic holder seen here which houses the abs and brake wear sensor connectors doesn't appear to be listed under my chassis number on realoem but the part numbers are 61138367936 for the R side and 937 for the L side

Comment

Right side 61138367936

Comment

Under the handbrake lever end, do you need to move heat shields to remove/refit the cables?

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                              Under the handbrake lever end, do you need to move heat shields to remove/refit the cables?
                              No I did it without removing the heat shield and with the car just on jacks at the rear.

Comment

Cheers, might take a look tomorrow, one of mine has melted on the exhaust!

Comment

Working...
                                X