Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great roads in Europe?

Chaps

I am heading off to France/Switerland/N Italy for 2 weeks in June and want to get in a few mountain roads which offer some fun (Italian job/James Bond types).

Will be based in Chamonix at the start of the trip but any suggestions after that most welcome.

As an aside whats the quickest any of you have got from Calais to Chamonix (or around there)? I'm thinking 7 hrs is resonable.

WT

Extreme caution with speed limits around France! :)

Have fun and please take some pictures.

Regards

Comment

yes and get rid of any Road Angel like equipment you have - even having one on board and its not in use means confiscation and hefty fine in France.......

Comment

What do they make of TomTom SatNav in France?
        /// Exdos ///
        "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Yes ready plenty of stories of police confiscating and destroying Radar Detectors. Plan to hide my Road Angel and use in Switzerland and Italy only.

Must be some good ideas for roads from you well travelled chaps!!!

Comment

''

Comment

Try the Stelvio Pass - perfect ... 8)
              http://www.adamanda.org/travel/it/98/

Also, the drive from Chamonix to Monaco is ok, but for fun driving stay near the mountins.
              The M Coupe ... For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

Now ... S54: Sapphire Black/Black-Black/HK+6/Cruise/Sun Roof/H~Lamp wash///ACS Road Suspension/Rogue Engineering rear top mounts/Braided clutch hose
              RIP ... S50: Artic Silver/Black-Grey/HK+6/Cruise/Side 'bags/Grad Tint///ACS Short Shift/Strong Strut/K&N/HIDs & Angels

Comment

Thanx alot....90 hairpins....might get some new rear tyres I'm been promising myself before departure.

Comment

yup - stelvio is a bit of a hack, but well worth it!!
                  If the tyres are 'okay' i'd leave them until you get back?? :?:
                  The M Coupe ... For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

Now ... S54: Sapphire Black/Black-Black/HK+6/Cruise/Sun Roof/H~Lamp wash///ACS Road Suspension/Rogue Engineering rear top mounts/Braided clutch hose
                  RIP ... S50: Artic Silver/Black-Grey/HK+6/Cruise/Side 'bags/Grad Tint///ACS Short Shift/Strong Strut/K&N/HIDs & Angels

Comment

WT

I was trying to find similar info when we were thinking of going to the lakes (Como Garda etc) in North Italy. We decided not to go in the end (house move forced cheap hols in Devon :cry: ), but I was looking at the following drives near that area:

Stelvio Pass
                    Splugen-pass = Splugen - Chiavenna near Bormio
                    San Bernadino Pass = Thusis - Roveredo (via Splugen!)

I found what appeared to be an excellent website with "reviews" of lots of these type of routes with scores for fun factor (Spaßfaktor) and scenery, also gives elevation and months the pass is open, combo suggestions etc etc!! Trust the Germans to be so efficient! :roll:

Only problem was translation, however if you searach for eg "splugenpass" in google, it gives you the option to view the page translated, which does a pretty good job!

For example, check out the awesome pics of the Splugenpass and other passes here: :shock: :twisted:
                    http://www.tourenland.de/paesse/spluegen.htm

Finally, when I was looking there were some similar questions being asked on PistonHeads if you fancy searching there. TBH I think this website is all you need in terms of routes though! Hope you find this helpful - and enjoy the drives you lucky b'stard! :wink:

PS Neil - Is that relevant enough?! :wink:

Comment

Ben

Thanks alot, appreciate you scralling all that down. I'll try and get some pics!

So far planned to go over the top from Chamonix to Milan then along the coast to Sanremo. If I get some roads which scare me silly in there somewhere I'll be a happy man.

WT

Comment

Working...
                      X