Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8 Steering Rack...

Evening All,

Anybody fitted the quicker-ratio steering rack from the 2.8-litre Z3 ?

Just wondered if there are any perceived / actual benefits ?

Cheers, Will

I think c_w has some experience of this. I am sure he will be around shortly.

Greenbat

Ex MC Owner

Comment

Yes, I think c_w did this. I will be doing this next year when I get the time to go to the salvage yards to look for a good one.
      Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Comment

Yep, mine has a 2.8 ratio rack from a Z3; I swapped mainly because the original Z3M steering feels too slow so the benefit is obviously that it now feels more responsive as you don't need so much lock for a given corner. I woudl say it's also better for correcting oversteer (not that I've had much experience of that, but flailing around with a slow witted rack can't be good!!)

It's a straight swap and is quite an easy job to do on the Z3 as the rack is at the front of the subframe, just needs the under tray removing. The only messy bit is the power steering fluid. Also, the tie road ends are often siezed on the rack so I just fitted new ones.

Comment

c_w -- thanks for the advice !

I've always considered the Z3M's steering as a bit slow-witted, so the 2.8 rack sounds perfect from your description.

Is it a tricky job to re-prime the rack's hydraulic circuit, or just a case of fill the reservoir and run the engine ?

Cheers, Will

Comment

Originally posted by wfarrell View Post
            c_w -- thanks for the advice !

I've always considered the Z3M's steering as a bit slow-witted, so the 2.8 rack sounds perfect from your description.

Is it a tricky job to re-prime the rack's hydraulic circuit, or just a case of fill the reservoir and run the engine ?

Cheers, Will
            Yep, once you've reconnected the pipes (for info, there's washers on both sides of the banjos on the rack), fill the PAS reservoir and run the engine turning from lock to lock about 10 times should do it. Only annoying thing is when you do this the fluid drops in the reservoir and it's not exactly easy to top up!!! I think I left the air box off temporarily whilst I bled the system.

Comment

c_w -- thanks for the install tips -- much appreciated old boy !!

Comment

Working...
              X