oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil leak

i have noticed a few drops of oil on my drive over last few weeks so decided to investigate.i removed plastic from underside to find oil covering everywhere,this was eventually traced to my vanos.upon further investigation i found that the cover for the exhaust solenoids was weaping badly .the 4 bolts were to my surprise loose at least halfe a turn each.i have tightened these and it seems to have worked.i read that this is a common problem and it is due to the solenoid seals going,does any onehave any experience of this and wheather i should be replacing all solenoid seals.cheers jess

Although I've never had a similar problem (famous last words - touch wood!!), I seem to recall from a post on here that the solenoid cover bolts sometimes need to be replaced. Presumably this is because the bolts stretch and hence they will become slack. So I would keep an eye on the situation
    Jess I'm sure if you do a search there will be something on it somewhere or I'm sure someone who is better informed than me will be able to give further info on the subject.
    Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
    2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
    1986 M635
    1985 E28 M5
    1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Yes, oil leaking from this area suggests the solenoid seals have failed. If you take the coverplates off that area (back of solenoids should be clean and dry); the cover plates are there fort he solenoids to work against and shouldn't hold oil.

Comment

thanks for replies,i took her out last night and no leaks however after a bit of research i did find out that a number of people have had this problem.i will replace the o rings and bolts to be on the safe side,cheers

Comment

I seem to recall that the vanos works at circa 1800 PSI, any indication of a leak is not good.
          S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Working...
          X