Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edited my post just to clarify where I found the failed spot-welds.

Comment

• Originally posted by sonu_anand View Post
      thanks.

How do I check the diff ear?
      Need to get under the car?
      Picture showing start of a tear,

Comment

• Thanks Dave. So really a competent mechanic should pick this up on service / MOT?

Comment

• Originally posted by sonu_anand View Post
          Thanks Dave. So really a competent mechanic should pick this up on service / MOT?
          I would doubt it unless it was really bad and splits were showing between panels, many of the spot welds in question are hidden and you need to remove the sound deadening to really see what if anything is going on.

Comment

• Interesting diff cover plate

Comment

• Also modified mounts for arb

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Dinan kit,

Comment

• Comment

• Hi Dave, the Dinan kit was their product to reduce the "rear steer" and improve the handling of the E36-7/8 chassis, and was developed long before anyone started seeing the separation of the panels (broken spot welds). One guy on Bimmerforums some years back called Dinan__he lived in Mountain View, California, essentially "right around the corner" from them__to get their reinforcement kit, and the guy told him to "save your money and call Randy Forbes..."

In other words, Dinan's product wasn't going to repair the damage his car had already developed. Applied to a new/undamaged chassis, it's entirely possible that the Dinan support could have minimized the excess movement of the suspension carrier (aka "subframe") to have prevented the level of damage we've been seeing for the last couple of decades, but it's not going to help put a damaged car back together.

I'm talking with one of your countrymen at the moment, in hopes that he'll hand-carry an extra kit or two back to the UK on his trips to the states, potentially saving some owners the cost of international shipping..
                        Randy Forbes
                        Sports Cars Plus, LLC
                        Parrish, Florida, USA
                        http://spcarsplus.com/piwigo/

Comment

• Originally posted by Randy Forbes View Post
                          Hi Dave, the Dinan kit was their product to reduce the "rear steer" and improve the handling of the E36-7/8 chassis, and was developed long before anyone started seeing the separation of the panels (broken spot welds). One guy on Bimmerforums some years back called Dinan__he lived in Mountain View, California, essentially "right around the corner" from them__to get their reinforcement kit, and the guy told him to "save your money and call Randy Forbes..."

In other words, Dinan's product wasn't going to repair the damage his car had already developed. Applied to a new/undamaged chassis, it's entirely possible that the Dinan support could have minimized the excess movement of the suspension carrier (aka "subframe") to have prevented the level of damage we've been seeing for the last couple of decades, but it's not going to help put a damaged car back together.

I'm talking with one of your countrymen at the moment, in hopes that he'll hand-carry an extra kit or two back to the UK on his trips to the states, potentially saving some owners the cost of international shipping..
                          I had never seen the Dinan part before and interesting to see a different take on handling upgrades, I am a fan of the Dinan products but they appear to get a bad press on the US forums.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave P View Post

I had never seen the Dinan part before and interesting to see a different take on handling upgrades, I am a fan of the Dinan products but they appear to get a bad press on the US forums.
                            I think the thing about Dinan was they were quite highly priced for any given item. However, Dinan parts wouldn't void a new BMW's warranty (the parts were offered, including the engine mods, through BMW dealers).

I guess it never occurred to me how Dinan might be marketed abroad, given how you guys have AC Schnitzer & Hamann on your side of the pond.

My wife's daily driver is a 2016 X5M that the 1st owner (we're second, via BMW's CPO program) loaded it out with Dinan's full Signature Series STG-II equipment (CAI, exhaust, piggy-back ECU & front lowering springs). She's justifiably proud of the fact__as am I__that SHE spotted the listing and "picked it out" (the fact that it is now rated at 716 hp/705 Lbs-Ft torque is the icing on the cake).

You'll never hear me trash-talk Dinan ;)
                            Randy Forbes
                            Sports Cars Plus, LLC
                            Parrish, Florida, USA
                            http://spcarsplus.com/piwigo/

Comment

Working...
                            X