Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bit of a nightmare! (my boot floor story)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad luck, sorry to hear about this. Glad you got it sorted now though.

Its clearly a design fault, although generally not so serious as not to last 10 yrs or so which is probably the general expected life of the vehicle.

Yours also had modified suspension so put extra load through the rear. This may not have been a factor but may have been.

These cars are getting on now. Although I don't agree with them fixing some and not others I think its just a pit fall of owning an older car. You can't expect BMW to fix cars indefinitely. I think BMW are pretty good in general with good will etc, esp on slightly newer cars kept in the dealer network.
    Ex 2001 S54
    New cars:
    Lotus Carlton
    350Z

Comment

Originally posted by ragerover View Post
      indy

post up the one i gave you
      nice one, ill post it here and on the other thread about subframe/boot floor issues etc.

below:

Originally posted by MGR View Post
      Bad luck, sorry to hear about this. Glad you got it sorted now though.

Its clearly a design fault, although generally not so serious as not to last 10 yrs or so which is probably the general expected life of the vehicle.

Yours also had modified suspension so put extra load through the rear. This may not have been a factor but may have been.

These cars are getting on now. Although I don't agree with them fixing some and not others I think its just a pit fall of owning an older car. You can't expect BMW to fix cars indefinitely. I think BMW are pretty good in general with good will etc, esp on slightly newer cars kept in the dealer network.
      im just glad its fixed now.
      dont want to keep looking back and thinking BMW are c**ts. but in my situation they certainly were. told me theyd fix it, then changed their minds afterwards. wouldnt have been so bad if they just said NO to start with, and their overall response times + attitude towards a customer were totally out of order.

Click here to email me

Comment

Indy always the same (the long posts) I miss the old u of rsoc the short sarcasm posts lol
        At least the cars sorted and mint now

Comment

Originally posted by wrighty988 View Post
          Indy always the same (the long posts) I miss the old u of rsoc the short sarcasm posts lol
          At least the cars sorted and mint now
          thanks, i enjoy writing the longer posts

so when are we meeting up for a run
          estoril and imola make a good tag team

Click here to email me

Comment

Lol we always made a good tag team remember lami lol we just need Seth on here next take a run down to me tonight I'm free till 12 before she gets bk

Comment

Originally posted by wrighty988 View Post
              Lol we always made a good tag team remember lami lol we just need Seth on here next take a run down to me tonight I'm free till 12 before she gets bk
              am scared of the rain

will speak to you later

Click here to email me

Comment

Call u in a second

Comment

They seem to fail in many different ways suggesting to me that the entire assembly is running on the borderline of calculated strength. Sometimes the diff bracket cracks, sometimes the bracket comes away from the cross member, the cross-member comes away from the bootfloor or the chassis rails.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                    They seem to fail in many different ways suggesting to me that the entire assembly is running on the borderline of calculated strength. Sometimes the diff bracket cracks, sometimes the bracket comes away from the cross member, the cross-member comes away from the bootfloor or the chassis rails.
                    im pleased mine is sorted now! no more worrying, but i wish the interior trims were silent

happy with it as it is though, time to stop moaning

Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by indy View Post

these jobs arent fixed price, it comes down to labour (which is the most part of the cost) materials isnt a great deal, and nor is paint, so the amount of time taken to work on each car would be the main factor to consider.

I can't say I agree with you on the materials bit there... I had mine done by the dealer about 2 months ago. They put a new boot floor in, and just that one piece of metal cost more than 2000 eur. In total, parts amounted to well over half of the total cost for me.
                      More power makes a car go faster in a straight line, less weight makes a car go faster everywhere

Comment

Originally posted by z3mcouperacer View Post

The thing with BMW goodwill is that it is just that, they are under no obligation to do anything, and when you think about the costs of the job (£5k) in some cases thats half the value of the car, they have to draw the line somewhere.
                        You are wrong on that point. In the UK (a.k.a Rip-Off Britain) customers are used to, and put up with, being shafted by manufacturers, retailers and basically all and sundry who sell us anything. Although we have umpteen ancient laws of contract and newer consumer-specific laws (in accordance with EU Directives) to protect us, most of the UK consumers are fooled into believing that all we get when we buy new stuff is a 12 month period of guarantee and if we want any further protection, we have to buy "extended warranties" which costs us more. Extended warranties are unnecessary because under UK legislation there is no specific time scale of how long the supplier/manufacturer remains legally/financially responsible for the stuff you purchase. Instead, the test is that of "fitness for purpose" and "durability".

In the specific case of the boot floor failure of the MC, this is NOT going to happen within a 12 month period, or even within BMW's 6 year warranty period, because metal fatigue (that's what the boot floor failure is) takes a long time to occur. The reason why metal fatigue occurs in the MC's boot floor is because the manufacturing process (spot welding in an area of considerable stress) is inadequate, so when the boot floor failure occurs some 10 or more years later, the reason is all down to the manufacturing process by BMW in Spartanburg, back in 1998 or so. As such, BMW is STILL legally responsible for such a failure to one of its products sold in the UK, because you car has failed the "durability" test. The fact that BMW cars are expensive to buy and experience lower depreciation than many other cars (where its very high second-hand vehicle prices are maintained by BMW's UK franchised dealer network - possible BMW cartel???? in contravention to EU Directives) proves that BMW expects that its modern cars should last considerably longer than 10 years, and that they shouldn't fall apart through defective manufacturing.

I fully understand someone not wanting any hassle in pursuing a legal claim against BMW (or any other supplier for any consumer issues) and that doing so would delay the repair process, when you might need the use of your car ASAP. However, IMO, it would be well worthwhile in requesting the full payment for the repair you have paid for yourself, plus ALL your out-of-pocket expenses in getting your car repaired independently, when BMW has refused to take responsibility for its own earlier manufacturing failure. If BMW won't play ball with such a request, then issue proceedings through the small claims court, because it won't cost you much and you can represent yourself. I would expect BMW to settle your claim rather than go to court.

I discovered the landmark Sale of Goods (Implied Terms) Act 1973 when I was an impoverished student (in 1973) and I first put it to work (with success) over a pair of defective shoes which I bought some months earlier; before that time retailers could sell any old crap and laugh in your face. Since then, and with all the additional consumer legislation, I have found that I've never paid for an extended warranty for anything and I get complete customer satisfaction on almost everything I buy. Over the years, you can save yourself a large fortune with a no-nonsense approach to consumer problems because the law is on our side!
                        /// Exdos ///
                        "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

One of the many compelling arguments against shelling out for extended warranties and many other forms of unnecessary 'insurance' that retailers try to impose on us as if they're doing us a favour...

I calculated a while back that compared to one of my mates who covers himself to the hilt with these schemes I have saved going on 15k in the last 10 years. Show me something other than the house burning down (which is obviously covered by law) that 15k won't cover!

Of course, I have it tucked away safely... Obviously...

Comment

Originally posted by dave p View Post
                            Darren Wood will undertake these repairs,

http://www.darren-wood.com/
                            I spoke to somebody there yesterday, just wanting to get an idea of costs for this repair. If I go ahead and buy in to MC ownership, it looks likely to be something that is going to need doing at some point.

It's obviously only a ball park figure, with the required repair varying on a case-by-case basis, but he reckoned circa £800 for a boot repair
                            Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                            ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                            Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
                              I spoke to somebody there yesterday, just wanting to get an idea of costs for this repair. If I go ahead and buy in to MC ownership, it looks likely to be something that is going to need doing at some point.

It's obviously only a ball park figure, with the required repair varying on a case-by-case basis, but he reckoned circa £800 for a boot repair
                              Darren Wood come highly recommended by a good friend of ours - Jeff Heywood (BMWCC Chairman) and when I need the next service then I will be using them myself

Tony - Re the boot floor; its not a forgone conclusion that it will go. Mines 12 years old, 62k and factory fresh underneath the boot. Personally I would seek out a good 'un and have some preventative maint done ie replace diff bracket and tack the spots. A lot less than 800 i reckon. If i keep mine long enough i will get mine beefed just incase

Comment

Working...
                              X