tailgate catch won't shut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tailgate catch won't shut

The tail gate on my mc has gone a bit iffy. It takes about 5 goes to get the gate to latch shut. When it is dropped from about 2" it is like there is no catch at all, the lid just bounces back. Then suddenly it might stay closed after a few goes.

I have tried locking and unlocking with the key fob, and also with the key. Have also tried spraying with WD40.

The thumb button is not sticky, and there is no difference in how far it sticks out, as to whether the gate will latch or not.

Any ideas?
    Estoril S50

Open the boot and look at the lock mechanism on the bottom of the boot door.

Has the spring that holds the gate in the 'open' position broken? Check it with your finger, the gate should be sprung back, if its limp then probably explains your issue.

I had this happen on mine and dealt with under warranty, after a small discussion of what constitutes 'trim'
    S50: Cosmos Black/Black-Kalyami/HK/Side Air-bags
    Mod: Denison iLink/Sunroof Switch/HIDs/Racelogic

Comment

I've read about problems withthe boot catch but luckily not had any problems with mine. I do find mine shuts easier with a window dropped/door open a little bit though.

Comment

I think the spring must have gone then, because the mechanism flops about like a dead fish.

Thanks
        Estoril S50

Comment

Working...
        X