Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airbag Light

Morning Chaps,
    Yup, this is a FAQ and I've read through the back chat to get some ideas on why this might have occured.

Anyway, airbag light has come on! I've had it reset by my local indy (£25) when getting new brake pads fitted last night.
    Problem is, the light turned itself back on again.
    Fortunately this happened while I was at the mechanics so we spent quite a bit of time trying a few tests to get it to re-trigger. I felt I got my £25 worth
    Sitting in the passenger seat with seatbelt on nothing happened. Bonus.
    Then thought it was the drivers pre-tensioner but lo and behold I didn't even get a chance to pull the seat belt and kapow, the light came on again.
    So this tells me that it is that little sensor under the seat that is not talking to the airbag sensor. I'm not sure what the problem is and why they're not talking. Seems a little childish to me.
    Maybe the airbag sensor tried to mow the airbag sensors lawn or something, butter his bread, that sort of thing.
    So, my Indy has suggested taking out the seat to have a look. Seems sensible but as with all these things, "having a look" is all well and good but I'd really like it fixed not just looked at. I can do that for free.
    From reading back chat it sounds like I should be telling him to unplug the battery for 30mins before disconnecting the seat regardless. Not sure if this is necessary if the light is already lit? It might confuse the passenger side if he doesn't unplug the battery tho??
    Then looking for a wire loom that is not connected is about as good as I can make out....hence my FAQ....what should the wire loom / connector look like, i.e. what am I telling him to plug back together?
    NB: I've the whalen seat bushes fitted already. Not sure if that matters.

Many thanks as ever for any contributions.

Had a problem with the airbag light when I picked up my MC in December. Local indy whipped the passenger seat out and fitted a modified loom for me. No problems since
    Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
    ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
    Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

I would have thought your indy should be able to tell which sensor is causing problems using his diagnostic tool.

My indy told me exactly which one it was (side airbag sensor located under the carpet, under the seat).

Maybe you indy's diagnostic tool does not give him suffient info but that would be the easiest way to narrow it down.

Once you take the seat out it is pretty obvious which wires are for the motors, heating coils and which one is for the seat belt tensioner.

Unplugging for 30 mins is only really relevant if you do not want the light going on. If it is already on a reset will work on any new error codes you trigger removing the seat.
      S50 Black, H&R Arbs/ Springs, B8s, Larini Exhaust

Comment

yes, his new diagnostic tool (which he was very excited about), did print out an error code. Trying to recall but think it was 02 .... sensor. Can't recall exactly, the code is at home.
        So basically then it shouldn't be too much of a job for them to do.
        Good to know.

UPDATE: All solved gents, seat out, woom re-wired, airbag light reset.
        Last edited by Bruski_11; 31-05-2011, 03:02 PM. Reason: edit

Comment

Originally posted by Bruski_11 View Post
          Interestingly tho, the seat belt held its tension when the light was out. Somewhat reassuring I guess.
          What do you mean? The seatbelt is mechanical apart from the pre-tensioner which is a mini explosive under the buckle which is triggered with the airbags to go off in an accident to tension the seatbelt by pulling the buckle downwards.

Comment

Working...
          X