S50 Which oil to use??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S50 Which oil to use??

I spoke to BMW Customer services today who told me the correct oil recommended by BMW (UK) is ......... 5w/30 either Shell or Castrol products for the Z3M S50 engine.

Shell website ,

http://lubematch.shell.co.uk/gb/en_GB/browse/cars

http://lubematch.shell.co.uk/
    Last edited by Dave P; 20-11-2015, 04:41 PM.

Castrol oil finder site,

http://applications.castrol.com/oils...r/en_gb/search

Comment

Just ordered myself some of the Castrol 5w30 for the first time, always used the Castrol 10w60.

£63 for 8 litres from ECP on eBay.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashley View Post
        Just ordered myself some of the Castrol 5w30 for the first time, always used the Castrol 10w60.

£63 for 8 litres from ECP on eBay.
        Costco are normally quite cheap for oil, is 8 litres enough for an oil change?

Comment

Definitely !

Comment

Costco are doing 4 litres of castrol edge 5-30 fully sinthetic for £32 + an additional 20% off making it £26... Limited to 15 per customer

Comment

Oil is a very personal thing, some people research it tp death. Regular changes are probably as important as the brand used.

I have always found the advice of Opie Oils to be excellent. FWIW they pointed me at Fuchs Pro S 5w40. BMWs advice will often be influenced by who they have a corporate tie up with at the time.

Comment

5/40 is the original spec, I don't think I've seen 5/30 ever being though, sounds a bit thin to me and I dount that spec oil was around much in the early 90s when the engine came out? Probably fine for winter use though!

Comment

Oh no do you think I should try exchanging the oil for 5w40? I just assumed I was doing the right thing there after using the castrol site

Do you think it will do harm to the engineer if I do use it? will probably change again in the summer.

Ash

Comment

Originally posted by Ashley View Post
                    Oh no do you think I should try exchanging the oil for 5w40? I just assumed I was doing the right thing there after using the castrol site

Do you think it will do harm to the engineer if I do use it? will probably change again in the summer.

Ash
                    I'm thinking the same, what's people's thought on this and why would BMW change the oil spec after all these years? I have just bought 8 litres of the castrol 5-30, should I change it for 5-40 or leave as is?

Comment

Mine has the wrong oil in and has been like that for the last 12 years or so (10/60) but will probably stick with it for the moment

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                        5/40 is the original spec, I don't think I've seen 5/30 ever being though, sounds a bit thin to me and I dount that spec oil was around much in the early 90s when the engine came out? Probably fine for winter use though!
                        5w40 is the correct oil. I can't even believe BMW would now recommand 5w30 for it.

Of course a range of oils will work depending on climate and such, but in normal-ish types I would never go with anything other than the best 5w40 oil.

If it is a dedicated track car, that never goes below 6k rpm, that's the only time I'd consider 10w60.

Problem is BMW has changed its recommanded oil list a few times in history.

Since 2004 the special oil list has been withdrawn which included the 10w60 for all engines before 1998 and replaced by BMW High Performance Synthetic oil 5w30 and 10w60 for M cars starting from the E39 M5.

In 2004 Castrol had to change the formula of TWS Motorsport to comply with environmental related rules. To make a long story short, according information, they had to reduce ZDDP additives making the boudary mode lubrication less effective.

The S54 has a very different valvetrain which doesn't rely on this.

This is just some of the info. There is so mch to find about oil. Each has his/her preference. For me that is 5w40.

Comment

Thanks for your input everybody. I think I'm going to stick with what I've always used and put the 10w60 in it and then next oil change consider my options.

Now off to contact ECP to see how to exchange the oil

Ash

Comment

Originally posted by MParallel View Post
                            5w40 is the correct oil. I can't even believe BMW would now recommand 5w30 for it.

Of course a range of oils will work depending on climate and such, but in normal-ish types I would never go with anything other than the best 5w40 oil.

If it is a dedicated track car, that never goes below 6k rpm, that's the only time I'd consider 10w60.

Problem is BMW has changed its recommanded oil list a few times in history.

Since 2004 the special oil list has been withdrawn which included the 10w60 for all engines before 1998 and replaced by BMW High Performance Synthetic oil 5w30 and 10w60 for M cars starting from the E39 M5.

In 2004 Castrol had to change the formula of TWS Motorsport to comply with environmental related rules. To make a long story short, according information, they had to reduce ZDDP additives making the boudary mode lubrication less effective.

The S54 has a very different valvetrain which doesn't rely on this.

This is just some of the info. There is so mch to find about oil. Each has his/her preference. For me that is 5w40.
                            I think this is exactly right and consistent with my own oil research. And of course - not every 5w40 oil has sufficient ZDDP. But I have had a sample of it analysed and ZDDP levels seemed sufficient. Of course, you cannot go too high on ZDDP because it ruins the cats, but new cats are cheaper than a new engine........

Comment

For real anoraks, the best detail I have found is here:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e34...nalyst-20.html

Post 197 contains my results on the Fuchs Pro S 5w40 in the M Coupe.

Comment

Working...
                              X