Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keith's Dakar Z3 M Coupe - Progress Update with Pics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -Keith- View Post
    Sorry Spooks my old mate, missed this! Thank you.

Hows you? How is your MC? Smooth sailing in the years I've been away I trust (hope)? Share a recent pic!
    All good thanks and the MC has been well behaved <touch wood>! Recent pics would show it parked up avoiding the salt/grit, instead I'm using a Mk4 Golf V6 4Motion to do the daily grind! All because I've gotten precise of it after fitting KWs, some BBS wheels and AP brakes, don't see the point in wrecking them over the winter
    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

• Hey Keith,

Thanks, all is well, you?

Do recall the E90. Didn't the next owner crash it right after purchase?

Forgot about the Evo and E46.

I feel you, my 87k km (54k mile) M3 is basically factory mint, but I love driving it. Feels like I own a brand new E36. Will never sell it!

That 335i touring you got, that's a really nice example!

Comment

Base plates are now done, and I must say... I'm properly chuffed with the finish.

Process I used was;
        1. Sand down and prep.
        2. Primed (using acid etch primer) and sanded with wet and dry 800/1200
        3. Primed and sanded with wet and dry 800/1200 again
        4. Paint with colour and lightly prep with 1200 for super smooth finish
        5. Paint again
        6. Clear lacquer x2 coats
        7. Wax up with Collinite 476s

All that was done over 4 days, to allow each coat to harden, so that it would 'sand' better with each wet and dry process. Patience is key (or a paint oven, which I didn't have). After trying to paint items before (with varying degrees off success), I have now perfected my rattle can / DIY spraying ... It can be frustratingly tricky to get a decent finish using a can; the nozzle doesn't really give the fine spray a proper gun would.

Anyway. Results;

BEFORE

AFTER

You can see in the reflection that 'orange peel' appearance is minimal.

I honestly think the finish is not far short of what a bodyshop could have achieved. Did I mention how chuffed I was?

All items were meticulously cleaned before remounting;

And back on the car;

Must say, Halfords did me proud on the colour match. It's identical. After getting back on the car, my happiness was cut short when I tried to use the electric adjustment. Nothing :cry: . After fearing that I had rewired it wrong, luckily it turned out to be the first thing I checked. A blown fuse...

Got the confidence to do other small items now. If I go black grills and black side fins, the only remaining chrome piece on the car will be the chrome boot handle. I've seen this in black on Kiwi's car, but to me, in black, it looks a little like a Hitler moustache on a Simpson... (sorry Kiwi, no offence intended mate - I love the de-wiper and coded roof spoiler)

Make up your own mind;

Because IMO black looks a little odd, I may well try and do the boot handle Dakar. We'll see.

Had some black grills on order from the States, although after waiting a week, I received an email saying they were the last set he had in stock, and were damaged. The fella offered me a discount for the inconvenience when he gets some more in, but I'm not sure I can wait. I may just try find another seller. Or buy some OE ones and code the outers... Thoughts?

Also ordered some Rogue Top Mounts from James at Redish Motorsport, so I look forward to getting those on sometime soon.

Thanks for reading.

PS - I will be doing a DIY for the mirror refurb for those who wish to try
        Made me laugh!

Comment

• Looks great without the wiper, colour coded and de-chrome.
          Last edited by KnightsG; 24-10-2016, 07:51 PM.

My BSL. Breadvan Sport Lightweight.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

Comment

• I've had the black handle for years now, but on a black car it blends well. Looks ok on Yellow, but I'm not a fan of the bumble bee look where the whole car is black or yellow. At the same time I think the chrome is least effective on a yellow car.

I like the black rear handle, but I would definitely leave the side gills alone and the front grills too. That way, the door handles and boot handle are both black which to me is consistent without blacking out too much of the car.

Comment

• Cee underscore Dubya, did you paint yours or buy a black handle?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rags View Post
                Cee underscore Dubya
                It took me two attempts...
                2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

• Originally posted by Rags View Post
                  Cee underscore Dubya, did you paint yours or buy a black handle?
                  I tried painting the chrome one but it's so hard it's impossible to key the surface properly so in the end I bought the satin black one from BMW, at the time it was about £25.00, probably about £1m now though

Comment

• Hello chaps, long time!

Gutted about the farcical Photobucket saga, they've ruined countless forum threads globally. What an absolutely ridiculous thing for them to do.

Anyway, I came back to check on prices as I had a moment today where I fancied seeing if I could join ownership again... WTF! Prices are crazy now!

I sold my 34k mile S50 Dakar for £15k about 8-9 years ago. It would be worth what, £35k+ now?

Needless to say I think I've missed the boat. I was hoping to be able to find something nice for £30k with about 50k miles, maybe even an S54. Seems not!

Hope you guys over here are all well.

For old times sake, here is a picture of the old girl:

Ex-Dakar MC Owner - Gone But Not Forgotten

Comment

• Very similar coupe is for sale at the moment,

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...petrol/7777748#

Last edited by Dave P; 05-10-2017, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• Perfect time to get it bought back I'd say

Comment

• Holy mother. That is my old one. Had the same (slight) creases on the drivers booster that I repaired/re-dyed and has the retrimmed steering wheel I fitted.

As much as I love them I couldn't pay £30 grand more than what I sold it for!

Interesting to see though, thanks for linking to it!

Comment

• Are you sure it's the same car Keith, yours doesn't appear to have had a sunroof?
                            S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Hello chaps, long time!

Gutted about the farcical Photobucket saga, they've ruined countless forum threads globally. What an absolutely ridiculous thing for them to do.

Anyway, I came back to check on prices as I had a moment today where I fancied seeing if I could join ownership again... WTF! Prices are crazy now!

I sold my 34k mile S50 Dakar for £15k about 8-9 years ago. It would be worth what, £35k+ now?

Needless to say I think I've missed the boat. I was hoping to be able to find something nice for £30k with about 50k miles, maybe even an S54. Seems not!

Hope you guys over here are all well.

For old times sake, here is a picture of the old girl:

If you don't mind 100k ish you can get into an S54 for circa 30k I'd imagine.
                              S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

• Originally posted by ian View Post
                                Are you sure it's the same car Keith, yours doesn't appear to have had a sunroof?
                                Ahh you're right it's not. However the same retrim on the steering wheel (perforated sides) and Dave originally saying it was my old one threw me! Also mileage fits as I sold mine on 34k or thereabouts.

Nevertheless, stunned at how much they've shot up. We knew they would climb but this is something! I remember when you could buy a low mileage Laguna Seca Blue S54 for £25k. I'm guessing the same would be £55k+ now!

Saying this, no regrets, at the time I sold it was for the right reasons. Currently driving a low mileage Monte Carlo 'Edition' model E92 M3 which I love.

Comment

Working...
                                X