Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight restoration kit

Morning all,

As per the title has anyone tried one of these to get rid of the yellowing/small scratches on the headlights?

After messing about with my washers , I think having the bonnet up in the sunshine has made them look worse than ever and I want to sort them out.

If I were to be buying a DA polisher anyway, can you use another type of polish to get the same result? Or is the special kit the way to go?

Cheers
    Ian
    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

I used the Meguiars refurb kit on mine and they improved a lot.
    You get compound and a brush head you can just fit into an electric drill. Having a drill with a decent sense of speed control is recommended though.

I tried the compound first and that improved the cloudiness. But was still left with the fine scratches and little stone chips. So also in the kit was various grades of wet & dry. Starting with the roughest you work over the light, then repeat with the finer grades. At one point I thought if made a terrible mistake as the whole thing look horrendous, but it came good and was a definite improvement.

They're not perfect but much better, but I guess it depends on the condition of yours now. At some point I might repeat the process again and see if I can improve further.

They're maybe better kits out there?

Comment

I only had a quick look around but the only other option I spotted was a 3M version, which looked very similar.

It's more the yellow/cloudiness that I want to get rid of; makes it look old now I've noticed it.

Does it take long?
      Last edited by Spooks; 05-07-2015, 08:43 AM.
      2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

I guess mine aren't showing much yellowness (yet) but it was the cloudiness which was more of the issue. Which it improved. If the yellowness is just the top surface then I guess the kit may still help.

I probably spent the whole afternoon doing both lights. I did it in gradual steps though so to check I wasn't f***ing it up.

Would take less time if it did it again. Perhaps just an hour per light. It depends how much time you want to give each stage. You basically use roughest w&d to take the layers of plastic off and the finer grades to gradually get rid of the mess created by using it. Then the compound alone to polish it.
        Not good as new by any means but not bad. Definitely cheaper than two new headlights!

Use making tape to all the adjoining surfaces as the brush head isn't easy to be super accurate with.

I've some photos somewhere but have failed to sort out how to put photos on the forum...need a photo bucket or something?

Comment

Hopefully a photo is on this...before
          Attached Files

Comment

And after. It's difficult to show in photos but think you can see the improvement
            Attached Files

Comment

Some more details here,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...ing+kit&page=5

The only thing to watch out for is the plastic can soon discolour again when exposed to sunlight so if buying a kit try and get one which includes a protector for the finished headlights

Comment

This stuff can be used to protect the raw plastic after you have done the steps above. U-pol Clear #1 UV Resistant Clear Coat http://www.paints4u.com/ProductDetai...productID=3589

Comment

This guy gives a very good detailed guide on the different methods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa3GpmKax1I

I tried the Megs kit but got alot better results with sand paper and 3m compound with a DA rather than the drill attachement with the Megs Kits. As Dave said you will require some sort of sealant otherwise they will haze again.
                  Previous: Silver s50 Mc
                  Previous: Yellow s50 Mc
                  -------------------------------------------
                  Current: Estoril S50 Mc

Comment

like above I tried with some of the mequiars plastic polish stuff and a drill which made an improvement but not that great.

Got far better results with some wet and dry and finishing off with a DA polisher.

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showpo...5&postcount=84

Still look fine now with no discolouring or hazing.

Comment

Some good info, thanks.

Adz, Alan....did you use the clear coat mentioned above?

Comment

I didn't use any, I had some Gtechniq sealant that I put on I think, saying that though we haven't had much bright sunshine up here

Comment

Working...
                        X