Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight Adjusters

Morning all,

My MC has just failed an MOT on the offside headlight adjuster and it looks like the adjuster mechanism has broken within the light.

I assume that I will need to replace the light and that the adjuster is not replaceable.

If anyone has replaced them before let me know before I try to find a secondhand unit or bite the bullet and pay £400+ for a new one (BMW want £603 without discount)
    S50 Black, H&R Arbs/ Springs, B8s, Larini Exhaust

Having had a better look at it I think it may just need freeing up......

The black wheel here>

Is just spinning on this metal pin and not turning it>

Does anyone know how the black wheel is usually held on? Is it just friction on the splined adjuster pin?

As for freeing off the adjuster pin any better ideas than spraying lube and a set of pliers?
    Last edited by maph; 27-09-2016, 12:31 PM.

Comment

I was able to adjust mine using a pair of pliers. It's a bit fiddly but doable if you're patient and persevere
      1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Thanks Ian,

Good to hear that someone else has had the same and fixed it.

I am pretty sure I will be able to do the same if I remove the washer bottle for access.

I will have a go at the weekend

Comment

The plastic adjusters are tightly fitted on to the metal pins which are serrated. Mine went like that years ago, the design isn't very good.

Comment

Thanks Chris,

I thought as much, as you say they are a poor design, using a plastic wheel to turn a metal pin was never going to work long term.

BMW probably assumed these would all be scrapped by now, reflected in their opportunist pricing of parts!

Matt

Comment

You can dispense with the notion of using those thumbwheels entirely, by putting a 6 mm Allen key in the recessed hex provided. A "T"" handled variety works best ;)
              Randy Forbes
              Sports Cars Plus, LLC
              Parrish, Florida, USA
              http://spcarsplus.com/piwigo/

Comment

great info--I have the same problem
                sigpic///MCoupe S50 Estoril

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Forbes View Post
                  You can dispense with the notion of using those thumbwheels entirely, by putting a 6 mm Allen key in the recessed hex provided. A "T"" handled variety works best ;)
                  This is what my chap used.

Comment

Working...
                  X