Mini GP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini GP

Was looking at jcw cooper s for run around car. Have had my attention swayed towards a Mini GP. Yes, budget lots more than what I was looking for, but I think there are a similar case to the z3 vs the z3m. The limited run of 500 should make it hold the price. It's the r53 version I am looking at.

Anyone had one of these?

If so, what did you think to it?

Robert

mini

i bought my wife a cooper s last year so she could not use my z ever again.admittedly she can drive well but the thoughts i was having when she went to supermarket were so bad that she used to send a photo to prove it was parked in a safe place.geting back to thread i havent drove the jcw but i have a works exhaust ,reduction pulley and induction kit on the cooper s and it is a fast little car handles well to

Comment

Can't help directly but the GPs do look great!!!
      2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

The GP is a cracking car. The R53 chassis, engine and gearbox all have bags of character.

I sold a few GPSs new in 2006 and more recently in 2015/16.

Don't be put off by a few enthusiast owners on the logbook against low owner and low mileage examples with the minimum standard of maintenance. All in all running costs are low, once the run flat tyres are swapped out. Understand the potential niggles the model comes highlighted in online buyers guides.

The wider market appeal is still relatively low, so much the same as other 'modern classics' cast under the 'one to watch' spot light an exit sale can be slow if the asking price is a few £k too much.

Make the effort seeing comparable cars for sale and lean on the fact it's a buyers market.

At around £10/11k the GP represents a great value for money, at £13k+ it would need to be special.

Good luck!

My BSL. Breadvan Sport Lightweight.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsG View Post
          The GP is a cracking car. The R53 chassis, engine and gearbox all have bags of character.

I sold a few GPSs new in 2006 and more recently in 2015/16.

Don't be put off by a few enthusiast owners on the logbook against low owner and low mileage examples with the minimum standard of maintenance. All in all running costs are low, once the run flat tyres are swapped out. Understand the potential niggles the model comes highlighted in online buyers guides.

The wider market appeal is still relatively low, so much the same as other 'modern classics' cast under the 'one to watch' spot light an exit sale can be slow if the asking price is a few £k too much.

Make the effort seeing comparable cars for sale and lean on the fact it's a buyers market.

At around £10/11k the GP represents a great value for money, at £13k+ it would need to be special.

Good luck!
          Thanks for that, sort of confirms what I am thinking. Aiming for under 10 if possible.

As for run flats. Can you just replace them with standard tyres? Or do the wheels have to change? Never had run flats before.

Should I worry about 100 k miles?

Comment

No need to change wheels, just ditch the tyres and transform how it rides!

We had them on my wife's Cooper Convertible with sports suspension, almost felt like no suspension!
            2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by langlands View Post
              Thanks for that, sort of confirms what I am thinking. Aiming for under 10 if possible.

As for run flats. Can you just replace them with standard tyres? Or do the wheels have to change? Never had run flats before.

Should I worry about 100 k miles?
              Just the tyres as Ian confirmed.

Every car is different so quite hard to ultimately say if 100k miles would be a worrying buy, each price point and mileage travelled comes with pros and cons. At 100k I would want to see a few major inspections, replaced bushes, brakes all round and suspension updates. The stiff set up combined with a hard life on rough roads will attract rattles and irritating cabin clunks.

Today I noticed Fast Car magazine have reviewed the R53 Cooper S. An up to date report would be a wise read.

My BSL. Breadvan Sport Lightweight.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

Comment

A little off topic, but we just traded our (loathed by me) A3 for a 14 plate Cooper S. It's injected fun back in to the family drives.

Back in a MINI for the first time in about 30 years and the JCW exhaust in sport mode makes me feel 17 again

I can only imagine that the GP version of the car amplifies that fun many times over. Did you buy one langlands?
                Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Hi there

We have one of these, well its a 210bhp JCW so its exactly the same engine and power as the GP without the rear seat delete etc. We have had ours for about 4years and its a great bit of kit.

If you want something that has bags of character and will put a smile on your face then you can't go wrong-plus the GP has that extra kudos.

PS the supercharger sounds great when you wind it up

Regards
                  Fin

Originally posted by langlands View Post
                  Was looking at jcw cooper s for run around car. Have had my attention swayed towards a Mini GP. Yes, budget lots more than what I was looking for, but I think there are a similar case to the z3 vs the z3m. The limited run of 500 should make it hold the price. It's the r53 version I am looking at.

Anyone had one of these?

If so, what did you think to it?

Robert

Comment

I've used to have a r53 cooper s and currently have a 2016 JCW. The cooper is was a decent car but the JCW is way better
                    Last edited by David z coupe; 10-08-2017, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Still haven't bought one yet. I'm still swithering between a well kitted jcw cooper s for about 4K or a GP which still comes in around 10. I've even been considering a convertible version and then selling my roadie.

I think if I go for the GP it will start to get pampered and the decision would be tough when going for a fun drive. GP or coupe? The GP option would fail when I don't want to leave it sitting on the drive in winter andnot used as a basic run around.

So if any knows of a good jcw for less than 5, let me know. (Or a cracking deal GP!)

Comment

Don't do the convertible version! My wife had a Cooper Convertible with a sports pack and it rattled and shook like there was no tomorrow!! Still handled well though....!!

I've been looking at a cheap JCW as well, get rid of my 4Mo Golf...

Comment

Took the plunge and went for a really good looking 2003 Cooper S that had been fully upgraded to JCW spec early in its life. Only done 64K miles and it makes all my other cars look scruffy. It is in superb condition.

Drove it back last night in absolute "biblical" rain conditions and it reinforced why I wanted one of these for a runabout.

I think these have bottomed out on their depreciation curve and can only go one way. I did resist the convertible due to at least 2 adverts warning about the "harder" ride. If people are even putting that in an ad they must be awful.

Of course I now have to sell a car.
                          Can't be the Coupe.
                          Can't be the MR2 MK1.
                          Can't be the Passat workhorse.

So it has to be the Roadie. Probably hang on to it to sell in the spring, but if you know of anyone who wants a Cosmos Black with 90K miles I may have my arm twisted to sell.

Comment

Nice one, congrats on the new toy.

I've got a new (well, 300 miles on the clock) wonderfully spec'd JCW on loan this week while our Cooper S is back at the dealers for a bit of work that they couldn't sort before we took delivery.

This JCW would have me in too much trouble, so I'm actually quite pleased that we only went for the Cooper S

Have fun
                            Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                            ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                            Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Working...
                            X