No announcement yet.

Boot floor.....oh no !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That doesnt look good! I priced up having mine reinforced and got the quote through yesterday. To be fair the company that looked at it hadn't done one before and sounded like it was going to be a pretty thorough job.
    They want £2900, dont think ill be going with that, gonna maybe source a firm that have done the job before.
    This lot quoted 8hours just to remove the interior in the back, i rekon i could do it in 2 max!
    Artic Silver S50-1998

Comment

Oh bugger. Soon have it sorted though hopefully.

I'd better get my wife's hairdryer out at weekend I think... started to notice a little more road noise in the car
      Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
      ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
      Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Originally posted by A.C.1983 View Post
        That doesnt look good! I priced up having mine reinforced and got the quote through yesterday. To be fair the company that looked at it hadn't done one before and sounded like it was going to be a pretty thorough job.
        They want £2900, dont think ill be going with that, gonna maybe source a firm that have done the job before.
        This lot quoted 8hours just to remove the interior in the back, i rekon i could do it in 2 max!
        I think by saying they hadn't done one before was a polite way of saying they try to commit daylight robbery whenever possible!
        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

I think your right mate, imagine what the quote would have been if it had already gone!
          Artic Silver S50-1998

Comment

Ac It took about 90 mins to remove all the soundproofing,i used a hot air blower (not an hairdryer) and a narrow paint scraper really wasnt that hard or messy then cleaned with white spirits..i figured that a spare couple of my hours would save me a couple of quid once my car goes in for repair. I am now over the feeling of being fed up about it and now looking forward to it being fixed and reinforced so better than new!i am not ina position to give you total costings yet but no where near your astronimical quote!

Comment

How much AC??? I had quotes of around £400/600 when I enquired with a couple of repairers who'd had experience of the boot floor repairs. Obviously varies on a case by case basis, but that quote you've been given is

Comment

My guess is they priced it high as they didn't want the job.
                S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
                  How much AC??? I had quotes of around £400/600 when I enquired with a couple of repairers who'd had experience of the boot floor repairs. Obviously varies on a case by case basis, but that quote you've been given is
                  Tony was that with sealing up after the welding was done?

Kwoffa when you get a spare min can you forward me the name of the place that indy gave you please. sounds like its worth running it past them before anywhere else.
                  Obviously get your underway first i wont be getting mine done untill late spring just wouldnt mind a price in my head i know is affordable.

I did think that maybe they didnt want to do it when reading the quote.
                  If i get the chance ill post it on here and show the break down of the work and price.
                  Cheers fellas.
                  Last edited by A.C.1983; 29-02-2012, 08:39 PM.
                  Artic Silver S50-1998

Comment

I didn't get detailed quotes, just contacted Emley Restoration and Refinishers (who've repaired a few Z3M boot floors) and Darren Wood for ball park figures when I was looking to buy an MC. I assumed it was for the complete job.

Comment

Don't get too downbeat as it's not a difficult repair for someone who knows what they are doing. Mine was very similar although the separation of the boot floor wasn't quite as bad as I caught it early.

Work in progress. The rubbish original spot welds were replaced and more added where necessary. The diff bracket was also beefed up from below with extra welding although it wasn't failing at all.

Finished with a nice coat of blue hammerite

A friend of mine did this as a favour. He builds rally cars for a living so knows all about strengthening shells.

Comment

Johnny did he do the underneath aswell or just from the top?
                        Artic Silver S50-1998

Comment

Underneath too. Once the exhausts are removed it's pretty easy to get access.

Comment

similar thing on mine....was about 300 GBP cash, however they removed all the sound proof and rewelded the whole floor (not only one side), underneath as well. pictures to follow (they are on my work pc and need to transfer them)

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyb View Post
                              Don't get too downbeat as it's not a difficult repair for someone who knows what they are doing. Mine was very similar although the separation of the boot floor wasn't quite as bad as I caught it early.

Work in progress. The rubbish original spot welds were replaced and more added where necessary. The diff bracket was also beefed up from below with extra welding although it wasn't failing at all.

Finished with a nice coat of blue hammerite

A friend of mine did this as a favour. He builds rally cars for a living so knows all about strengthening shells.
                              That looks fantastic - exactly what needs to be stripped out to do this at home (I know some exceptionally talented welders and might get mine done on a preventative basis)?

I'm assuming all the boot interior, plus the exhausts. Does the fuel tank need to come off too?

Also, why didn't he just do a line weld along the joint instead of more (albeit larger) spots?

Thanks.

Comment

Pretty much everything from the front seats back needs to come out. Make a note of how you remove everything as it's a major ball ache to be honest. No need to remove the tank.

A continuous weld wasn't really needed as the same extra welds were also added below the car. The repair was done around a year ago and it's still as good as the day it was done.

Comment

Working...
                                X