Plenum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plenum

I want to re-paint the plenium and give all the throttle linkages a good clean....ive never been down that side yet? any pointers would be great???regarding what to use??thanks.

I remember forum member N7KHO suggesting some stuff that was good for cleaning/restoring the hard plastics of the plenum and other items.

I cant quite remember what it was but I will have a think...
    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Cheers spooks,but,its not the plastic bits i need to clean,i want to remove the plenium as i want to repaint it i am not sure of its removal at all,then i want to clean the throttle springs etc...as they are quite dull etc...????i have read that acetone will clean the metal parts..but the removal of the plenium i havnt got a clue,i know the romoval of the intake but thats about it!???

Comment

If you can isolate the plenum by taping plastic sheet or newspaper over all the other bits, a dilute solution of sugar soap would do the trick. A damp cloth and rubber gloves would be all that's needed to apply. My brake calipers came up lovely using this before I painted them with Hammerite several years ago.
        /// Exdos ///
        "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

I had my engine bay jet washed using Meguiars engine cleaner which did a good job and then painted the rocker/plenum in place and masked up the trumpets etc,
          doesnt look to difficult to remove though?

Comment

Ex thanks for the replie...but i want to take the plenium Off! to re-paint it..or am i getting into a lot of probs?i am just unsure,i do know what you mean about soapy water as when i was checking to replace my outside temp unit i washed my brake callipers as they looked xxxxy only to find they had been painted grey!!! wtf!!! any pointers to removing the plenium would be apreciated.?

Comment

picture here with it removed,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9557

Comment

Dave i remember that but once ive taken off the trumpets etc..its just the underneath part ime not sure of...??as i cant see underneath i guess i should use a mirror!

Comment

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?2/38/64

Comment

Had to look up what a plenum was
                    Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                    ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                    Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Thanks Dave ! as expected quite a lot of things to undo! oh i wish i had my garage here! i will do this,just need a nice dry day..thanks a lot chaps! big time!

Comment

On previous M3s I cleaned the engine with junk and washed off, when dry I wiped it over to get it clean and no film on it, then sprayed lots and lots ow WD40 over everything you can see, let it be and dont touch it again, after a few drives it doesnt look like it's be done it just look vert clean even the plastics look good.

Comment

Mel did you have a go at this?

Comment

Dave,as you may or may not know i also dive and to be honest i tend to get out on the water when tides etc are good..so quite simply no....not yet but i am going to do it,as i have not played with my car for a while now.The diagram etc is exellent and i am sure it wont take too long to do,i will post up some pics when its being done!

Comment

I may have a go at this also over the winter

Comment

Working...
                              X