No announcement yet.

Life with the M Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah looking at the picture again it does look bad, oh well good job its changed.

Comment

Enjoyed reading what youve done so far ian, good Write up
      How much did you end up paying for that company to reinforce the floorpan if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks Adam
      Artic Silver S50-1998

Comment

H Ac, don't mind at all, it wasn't a lot for them to simply weld and cover in red led I was only charged £ 100, Ray had the car for a day. Bear in mind though I stripped all of the interior and the old bitumen up which is the most time consuming activity, so all that was required was a touch with the grinder and weld. My floor was pretty good compared to some of the horrors you see on the forums.

Cheers
        Ian

Comment

£100!!!!! Thats a bargain mate looks like hes done a top of it aswell id be real pleased with that for that price.
          Artic Silver S50-1998

Comment

The coupe hasn't moved for a while due to busy workload, however decided to make a couple of small changes,

So a little bit of this:-

And a little bit of this:-

Truth be told you can seen the rear springs have been modified in the past (cut) which isn't great, so I wanted to swap them as a priority once I knew.

Any way enough said I'll let the pics do the talking

Pretty pleased with the way the car rides now, not rough or jumpy and a little less body role

Cheers
            Ian

Comment

its worth noting, that sometimes the rear springs crack on these, so they might not have been cut (was it a sharp cut, or a broken end?)

looking much better now! which springs and how much?

Click here to email me

Comment

the spacers have certainly made a big difference
                S50 Roadster....

Comment

does look much better

Comment

Thanks guys agree the spacers do make a massive difference, Indy pretty sure the springs were cut, they were identical to each other so would have been pretty luckily for them to snap the same, good point though

Comment

Looks good.

What size spacers are they? Decent price?
                      2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

15mm spooks, I think the spacers worked out at £72 plus 1.75 per wheel bolt plus a set of lockers so all in just over £100.

Comment

Looks very good for it too!

How big a drop did you give it, 30mm front and rear?
                          2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Yep 30mm all round

Comment

After lowering the Z I decided it was a little to low at the back, and the spring pads were looking a little worse for wear, so a trip to the dealers to pick a few things up,

For those who are wondering about the pads you can get 5, 7.5 and 10 mm

Turned out mine were 7.5 but quite worn as you can see in the pic below,

Note the dimples on the collars, 3 for 10mm pad and 2 for 7.5mm, common sense would dictate that there will be 1 on the 5mm pads, a good way to quickly identify what you have.

Here you can see the difference in thickness,

And finally after a little shopping spree at the dealers new under trays and brackets.

Comment

Hi All,

Not a lot has been happening with the coupe over winter, its been sorned and sat in the garage under a cover. There is something about the car though, for those of you that know it, Wefail sold it to me as his wife got 'up the duff' as they say with twins and Martin needed a bigger car as a result. Well I am please to say that my wife and I are now expecting and due on 1st May . I have no intent to sell the coupe but its use may drop even less than previous as three in a coupe doesnt work somehow . Any ways i decided it would be a good time to sort out the garage and get that double i allways wanted and that this would allow for me to convert the current semi integrated garage into a play room.

I have seen over on Detailing World threads around garage builds so i thought seen as the coupe will live in the new garage some of you may find the garage build interesting and worth a read in the journal, so here goes.

So after getting drawings etc done and planning approval: -

Firstly I had this at the front of the house

First thing to go was the hedge to make room extra room, so one freezing weekend later and we get the following: -

Then the fun stuff started, I didn’t want the garage to be over powering against the house so I stuck with a basic box 5.2 x 5.2 external so not quite a double but I will be able to get two cars in should I ever need to.

Foundations dug and concrete poured. The walls are only going to be single skin however foundations are over 2 foot thick due to clay in areas.

Then the trench dug out for the water and power

Armoured cable and MPDE pipe all encapsulated in 3.5” drain downspouts left over from the house.

Here is a shot of the garage from a bedroom window,

And the first layer of blocks going down

Second layer and you can see some of the drainage here as well,

Then it was onto pouring the slab, with heavy rain and freezing conditions forcast a decent cover was knocked up to protect the fresh concrete, it then stayed like this for over a week whilst global warming at its finnest took its toll and subdude us to minus figures for more than 7 days!!

Then the cover came off and i was left with this

You can just make out the first run of bricks here aswell

From then on its steady progress, here you can see one of the quoins to match the house.

Then some progress was made over the next few days.

and this brings us to today where the garage stands at this, if there is interest ill keep this thread going as the build progresses..

cheers Ian

Comment

Working...
                                X