• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear wiper removal

Saw this on a old thread,

http://www.digitalsimple.com/TheMCou...perremoval.htm

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
    Dave,

any chance of digging this up again? I am keen to remove my rear wash wiper this week and could do with knowing sizes before hand and somewhere to purchase a plug from.

thanks

Russ

My BSL. Breadvan Sport Lightweight.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

Comment

Cant find the original link but there's a member on Bimmerforums in the States who does a kit ,

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-now-available!

Comment

Thanks Dave, I have just collected a rubber bung from local motor factors for a temporary fix. Happy with the results so shall find a cleaner colour coded plug.

Hope to see you at Silverstone.

I have MBOC car pass's for the weekend so shall see if on the Sunday I can bring the Coupe instead. of the Benz.

My BSL. Breadvan Sport Lightweight.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

Comment

Does anyone have a link for a how-to that works, as this one is down and I'm considering a rear wiper delete.
          S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

I'll drop a link in later as I did it to mine

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

Doh! I used the thread above that's down.

IIRC

1. Remove the trim inside the hatch. There are two screws underneath the handle to remove (phillips) and then the trip pops off (similar to the door cards). I used a Fork Ball Joint Separator to do the job.

2. Remove the electronics plug and the water line. I tie-cabled the water line inside the hatch and kinked it to prevent it from leaking.

3. Remove the wiper arm. I *think* you remove the plastic cover on the outside, then remove a nut on top. The wiper arm (with some persuasion) will lift off the spline

4. Remove the wiper motor and assembly. This was held on with 3 torx screws.

5. Get your rubber grommet (1 inch inside diameter). I got one off eBay and colour coded it. You could also get one of the polished versions listed above. Insert grommet.

6. Re attach the trim and replace the two screws under the handle.

I caveat the above with "it's been a while since I did it" but it's a fairly simple job to get through.

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

Originally posted by mnbrennan View Post
                  Doh! I used the thread above that's down.

IIRC

1. Remove the trim inside the hatch. There are two screws underneath the handle to remove (phillips) and then the trip pops off (similar to the door cards). I used a Fork Ball Joint Separator to do the job.

2. Remove the electronics plug and the water line. I tie-cabled the water line inside the hatch and kinked it to prevent it from leaking.

3. Remove the wiper arm. I *think* you remove the plastic cover on the outside, then remove a nut on top. The wiper arm (with some persuasion) will lift off the spline

4. Remove the wiper motor and assembly. This was held on with 3 torx screws.

5. Get your rubber grommet (1 inch inside diameter). I got one off eBay and colour coded it. You could also get one of the polished versions listed above. Insert grommet.

6. Re attach the trim and replace the two screws under the handle.

I caveat the above with "it's been a while since I did it" but it's a fairly simple job to get through.
                  Sounds right to me, that's pretty much what I did when I deleted my rear wiper. Instead of kinking the feed pipe I sealed the end with silicone sealant and disconnected it at a break point in the engine bay.
                  1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Thanks gents
                    S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

Has anyone got a link to a polished / painted version of the above?

Comment

Interesting thread - what's the point to this? Is it because the rear wiper motor fails and the parts are NLA?
                        As a safety element of the car I'm struggling to think of why it would be a good idea to remove it....
                        ----------------
                        David
                        1999 M Coupe (S50)
                        >>Read my journal here<<
                        2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
                        2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

Various reasons from it looks crap, leaks, stops working, is useless etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by Rags View Post
                            Various reasons from it looks crap, leaks, stops working, is useless etc etc

I wonder if they fail because water just sits inside the motor and rusts the mechanism? also I wonder if by fitting the one way valve this helps the life of the motor?

Comment

here is a picture of mine.i used a sink delete plug which i found at b and q and color matched it.this was meant to be a temp job until i could get an alloy one machined up but it looks good and has gasket to stop water .i still have the mechanism etc that is working but was useless and the removal cleans up the look.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X