Aircon works BUT noisy when ignition off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aircon works BUT noisy when ignition off

Guys.. spent some time on line trying identify the fault..Aircon heats up/lowers temp ok.. But when you switch off ignition there is gurgle and mechanical noise with the aircon pulley continuing to rotate..Appreciate your thoughts..jb

Believe sorted .. faulty reed valve...need to replace compressor .. ouch!

Comment

Ouch? Have you worked out the cost yet JEB or had any quotes?
      ex- 2000 Titanium Silver S50 with AC Schnitzer road suspension, exhaust, rear wing and gear knob
      now 2002 Sapphire Black S54 with black/red interior, S54 Bearing Shell upgrade with ARP Con Rod bolts, Cam shaft bolt upgrade

Comment

What convinces you that there is a problem? Is this sound a new observation?

The air conditioning system's main component is a compressor, therefore having a high (pressure) and low (pressure) side; when you stop the engine, the compressor is no longer "pumping" and the high/low sides will equalize their pressures during the next few minutes.

On a simpler scale, that's why most home units will have a time-delay upon power-up, so that a momentary electrical hiccup won't attempt to restart the compressor against a built up head pressure; the motor will start with considerably less load when the pressures are equal.

If this IS a new development, perhaps one or more of the components (like the expansion valve perhaps) needs the attention of a professional, trained on the subject.
        Randy Forbes
        Sports Cars Plus, LLC
        Parrish, Florida, USA
        http://spcarsplus.com/piwigo/

Comment

Gents... The problem is new .Here`s the current thinking from Indy.. Suspect reed valve in compressor leaking allowing high and low sides to equalise thru the compression cycle switch rotating when it strictly should`nt..Not sure how accurate this prognosis is.. but welcome any inspired knowledge

ECP no longer stock replacement compressors.. Dealer new price circa £850.. A rebuilt unit £200 from automotive compressor repairs but unsure of quality.Chines built @£250 . Was thinking of getting my unit rebuilt but I use car as a daily driver..

Just to illustrate how desperately hot it is driving here in Worthing i`m starting to evaluate cheaper alternatives.. Wet knotted towel on head.. driving in only underpants and vest..and least desired option buy a softop MGB

On a serious note, thanks for any assistance..rgds jb

Comment

I recently had a exchange unit fitted which I bought from my local dealer, the unit looked brand new so not sure if it was a recon unit or not. I think it was around £650 after the refund for return of old compressor.

Comment

Working...
            X