Boot locking not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot locking not working

I very rarely use the boot but did today and, guess what....it's not locking properly!

I locked the car then realised that I'd left my stuff in the boot so just opened it and off went the alarm (which wouldn't scare anybody away!), realising it opened with the doors locked. A couple of more checks and its not locking at all, even with the key (the key won't turn in the barrel at all).

The button seems to 'twitch' a bit when I lock the car but nothing more. Failed central locking or a dodgy boot latch?

All suggestions welcome, please
    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

If you can get it open? take the lower panel off and with the hatch open spray WD40 in and around the mechanism,where the key goes in insert a nail or something pointy so you can spray inside the actual key hole,i have just done this to mine as it was a bit scratchy? and having just had a new glass fitted wanted it to be good.All working well now,give it a try,

Comment

some details here and in link in thread

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...ight=boot+rant

Comment

Thanks gents....wait for the swearing, you may hear it from several miles away as I trap fingers in said mechanism
        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Well no swearing but it is bloody cold out there!

Couldn't get the rear hatch trim panel off, removed the two screws but couldn't prise it off and didn't want to force the plastic in the cold. However, I could just about see through the small gap that the actuator link rod was moving when the car was locked/unlocked but not the actuating rod from the cylinder assembly to the boot lock, which I'm assuming should move.

Could just reach with the straw like nozzle on my can of WD40 and sprayed the actuating rod at the lock end in more hope than anything and gave up for the night. However, upon removing tools and Bentley manual back to the house and locking the car for the night, the boot has locked

Not sure whether the squirt onto the actuating rod was a pure coincidence or not but will give it another squirt in a day or so and keep checking it's working....

Should the key turn in the barrel though, as mine still isn't? (Surely it should!)
          Last edited by Spooks; 27-04-2016, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Your rear window gets filthy in no time with stuff swirling around the hatch,its not surprising that crap gets into the mechanism,the lower trim needs quite tug to remove its held on with similar poppers to the door trim,which are not on the outside edge but more inside,if you no what i mean.

Comment

I know what you mean! I had my trim removal tools down the sides with no joy. If my rear wiper hadn't given up as well, if leave it on!

Comment

I agree with earlier posts. Much crap gets thrown up to the back of the car, lock needs to be kept well lubricated. I put WD40 into the key hole and maybe a little white grease from time to time and turn the lock with the key, yes it should move!
                Also do same with the door lock key holes as they never get used.
                S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

When I purchased mine, it came with a new boot mechanism that the previous owner had purchased but not got round to fitting. Didn't think anything of it and then one day did the same thing as Spooks, forgot something in the boot, opened it and the alarm went off as the central locking to the boot had not worked. After a bit of research on this fantastic forum, I came across the problem of the loom in the hatch. Took the rubber boot off and found 7 wires broken. One was the central locking to the boot, another the rear wash wipe. Spooks, it could be that it has locked on the last couple of occasions through the wires touching enough to make a contact but with your rear wash wipe not working as well, I would take a look at the loom otherwise you too could end end up with a new boot mechanism that you don't need!

Comment

Originally posted by Baldy1 View Post
                    When I purchased mine, it came with a new boot mechanism that the previous owner had purchased but not got round to fitting. Didn't think anything of it and then one day did the same thing as Spooks, forgot something in the boot, opened it and the alarm went off as the central locking to the boot had not worked. After a bit of research on this fantastic forum, I came across the problem of the loom in the hatch. Took the rubber boot off and found 7 wires broken. One was the central locking to the boot, another the rear wash wipe. Spooks, it could be that it has locked on the last couple of occasions through the wires touching enough to make a contact but with your rear wash wipe not working as well, I would take a look at the loom otherwise you too could end end up with a new boot mechanism that you don't need!
                    Well I was wondering whether it could be the infamous 'broken wires through the boot hatch' problem.

Is it the rubber boot between the hatch and the roof/body of the car where the broken wires can be seen?

I can remember a picture being posted previously, but after albeit a very short search, I cant find it.
                    Last edited by Spooks; 28-04-2016, 11:12 AM.

Comment

I've just done a little more searching and found post 77 of Keith's progress thread has a picture and more detail....

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...nnector&page=8

Plus Fat Bobs write up....

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9031

Shows the power of the knowledge on this forum and people posting up about any problems they have so others can have an easy/easier fix
                      Last edited by Spooks; 28-04-2016, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Yep, that is pretty much what mine looked like. I hope this is not the case for you and that it is something far more simple but it does show all the signs of this being the problem

Comment

Its a scary looking picture from Keith's thread, wasn't it caused by the wrong length boots struts?

Comment

Originally posted by Baldy1 View Post
                            Yep, that is pretty much what mine looked like. I hope this is not the case for you and that it is something far more simple but it does show all the signs of this being the problem
                            I know what you mean as it seems quite a bit of hassle, but then again maybe less hassle and definitely less cash, than replacing the wiper motor!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                              Its a scary looking picture from Keith's thread, wasn't it caused by the wrong length boots struts?

Oh not quite sure about that; I do recall he changed them but wasn't sure whether that was the cause or not. The pictures on Fat Bobs thread look pretty scary too

Comment

Working...
                              X