Z3 M-Coupe Brake Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z3 M-Coupe Brake Conversion

I have an Imola Red '00 M Coupe and i want to improve the braking setup. Does anybody know if there is a way to replace the stock rotor and caliper with more powerful OEM parts from an M3, M5, 6-series, or something of that nature. I want to stick with OEM parts because they are engineered better than aftermarket bits. Can anyone help me with this brake conversion? If not does anyone have a big brake kit on that they are satisfyed with? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Re: Z3 M-Coupe Brake Conversion

Originally posted by Z3Magic
    I want to stick with OEM parts because they are engineered better than aftermarket bits.
    im sure a lot of people on here, myself included, would disagree with the above statement.

i wasnt overly impressed with the brakes myself, i changed the bake lines discs and pads and this has made a huge difference, ( a lot cheaper to )

ive had evos with brembos and they were rubbish, if you have your heart set on a brake conversion see if ap do a kit, i know that is what people upgrade from brembos to.!
    Gruppe M
    EBC redstuff Pads
    EBC drilled and grooved discs
    Braided brake lines
    Gun-metal alloys
    Strong Strutt
    KW Variant 3

Comment

Re: Z3 M-Coupe Brake Conversion

Originally posted by Z3Magic
      I want to stick with OEM parts because they are engineered better than aftermarket bits.
      I'd question whether that was the case.

For example a M3 CSL meant as a track foccued car but supplied with brakes not up to the job with most enthusiast owners fitting AP 6 pots.

Without changing your OEM wheels 6 pots won't fit but I would've thought 4 pots would quite nicely.

Comment

The car has (e36) M3 brakes as standard, and as said above all ///M cars come in for criticism of their brakes when put under stress (ie trackdays).

AFAIK, the CSL still has a one pot sliding caliper.

Comment

I had a drive and was driven in a race-prepared M3 CSL last summer which had some bespoke brakes fitted. I was treated to a demo of its stopping power by the owner from 155mph to zero - absolutely STUNNING.

Apparently the chap who made the brakes will make for any car. If you want to know more, then give Giles Fear at Branded Untouchable a call and ask about Damon's car.
          http://www.but.at/ Tel:01246 204669
          /// Exdos ///
          "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

I've heard that 'Branded Untouchable' systems are very good. Never got round to contacting them when i was upgrading my Subaru brakes and went for some AP Racing 6 pots with 330mm discs which were quite litterally 'eye poping' :shock: in both performance and cost :!:
            Black S50

Comment

Damon told me that the bespoke brakes for his M3 CSL cost in the region £1.5k - £1.8k which sounds pretty much in line with Brembo and AP systems. The "feel" under your foot of the bespokes were pretty much like the normal BMW kit but with considerably better stopping power. If I decide to do this mod, I will certainly get them through Branded Untouchable. The bespokes were certainly not eye-popping: the car just seemed to slow very rapidly without me being thrown forwards at all, that's what really impressed me about them.
              /// Exdos ///
              "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by exdos
                Damon told me that the bespoke brakes for his M3 CSL cost in the region £1.5k - £1.8k which sounds pretty much in line with Brembo and AP systems. The "feel" under your foot of the bespokes were pretty much like the normal BMW kit but with considerably better stopping power. If I decide to do this mod, I will certainly get them through Branded Untouchable. The bespokes were certainly not eye-popping: the car just seemed to slow very rapidly without me being thrown forwards at all, that's what really impressed me about them.
                The AP's were certainly 'overkill' for the road as it was very easy to lock up the front wheels at speeds in excess of 140 mph without too much effort. :shock: Once i got used to them the feel and control were fantastic but the 4 pot kit would be much more suited to road use, but hey, you live and learn :roll: ......and they looked rather mean as well :twisted:
                Black S50

Comment

AP Kit...

I've had the E36 4 pot AP Racing kit fitted to mine for over 2 years and its awesome, comes into its own on the track too. Pad and disc wear hasnt been to bad either, would do the same thing if I bought another one straight away!

Kit cost about £800, got it for cash from someone at a track day!

Comment

Will the E36 4 pot AP Racing Kit fit into the stock wheels? Where did you get them? Thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
                    X