Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear wiper - water-in feed broken. New motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear wiper - water-in feed broken. New motor?

Have been installing the service fix check valve into the rear wiper motor fluid feed this afternoon. No problems until I tested it and noticed a small weep where the hose meeting the water-in nozzel on the back of the motor.

A quick wiggle of the hose and the bl00dy thing just snapped off. Looking at this nozzle part (which does not have enough material to re-attach the hose too), it seems pretty integral into the motor body. Does anybody know any different?

Current: 2005 330i Sport
    Sold but never forgotten: 2000 Estoril S50

Ok, update to this. I took the motor off and then stripped it down yesterday. That plastic nozzle is riveted into the motor casing, and is therefore not serviceable.

However if you have access to an old rear wiper motor, then the casings can be swapped, thus gaining a nice new nozzle. That's my plan as my father has an old seized wiper motor. Just need to ensure the nozzle is ok.

This being the case, I will take a load of piccies when putting it back together and do a mini how-to.

Comment

That will be useful.

Comment

Update on this one - will do the how-to a bit later.

So it's proving rather testing this whole rear washer experience. Who would of thought a flippin' washer motor could cause so much aggravation! This is going to end up a bit of a rant, and for that I apologise in advance...

As can be seen above, upon installing the check valve, the inlet valve that's mounted onto the motor casing broke off. Luckily my father has a spare casing half, so that got sent to me and I replaced the old one with it. Hey presto, a nice new inlet nozzle. So I connected up the washer feed pipe, gave it a quick blast and it worked fine. Great stuff. However I then opened the tailgate to find water dripping out of the casing (from the point encircled below)

So, I took the casing apart. It appears that where the 2 pieces join at the motor spindle point, you need a decent seal to prevent water leaking into the motor housing (which in turn would start to seize the motor - a common fault I believe). So I buggered around with washers, small O-rings and finally sealant to try and prevent the leak into the motor housing, and ultimately out of that into the boot. However all of it was to no avail

So I bit the bullet and ordered a recon part from FAB Direct. 50 quid and a few days later, I was installing the 'new' wiper motor. Installed, test that it worked and squired water on the screen which it did, opened the tailgate and the new motor starting leaking

So now it was a process of elimination. Have I just been really unlucky and had two non-sealing motor casings (yes), is there a design fault, or by me introducing the check valve into the system, have I upset something else to cause this fault. So I connected the 'new' recon motor up again, but this time without the check valve. The result - it still leaked, but a little less than before. I believe this is because the check valve holds an amount of water between it and the water outlet, as opposed to not having a check valve and then a natural pressure head allowing some of the fluid to work its way back towards the fill tank in the engine bay.

However the net result was that it still leaked. So I decided to bite the bullet and order a new one from BMW (137 quid), whilst returning the recon unit to FAB. Well this morning the new motor arrived. I picked it up and, being somewhat of an 'expert' in rear wiper motors on MCs now, had it fitted in all of a few minutes. A few squirts later followed by lifting the tailgate, and no leaks to be seen. Superb . So, refit the rear wiper blade, connect up the little fluid cap to the top of the spindle and "wait a minute...". The bloody thing has been mangled and I can connect it. Therefore whilst the wiper will sweep the screen, fluid will shoot straight out the spindle and land about 10ft behind the car. Feckin' hubbards!!!!!

So the new motor was taken back to BMW as a defect with a new one due early next week. How much time and effort does it take to fix a silly water leak under full acceleration (the original cause)??!!

So, rant over. Will post up a how-to (or maybe it should be a 'how-not-to-do) soon.

Thanks for reading...

Comment

Sounds like a real mission but you're almost there by the sounds of it Got the same problem with mine. Look forward to the write up

Comment

What's the problem with yours, Simon? Leaking fluid onto the screen under hard acceleration, or just leaking out of the motor casing when the tailgate is lifted?

Either way you're welcome to pop round being a fellow Leamingtonite as I have all the trim and wiper motor out of mine at the mo.

Comment

Seems to be the season for knackered rear wipers.

Hadn't noticed mine leaking but it stopped in mid cycle.

Stripped it down and the inside was full of rust and associated crud. Seems washer seal had failed.

Cleaned it all up but found fault to be worn out splined wheel.

I think the motor had been opened in the past (slightly worn screw heads). Likely seal had been damaged and not resealed properly.

Think only option is a new motor - £137 from dealer - may have a look in a breakers - heard the BMW One series is the same.

Partnumber is 6162 8357 515
              S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Yep, sounds familar!! Getting a motor from a scrapyard sounds like a good idea. I reckon once the casings' have been taken apart, the seal is easily prone to damage, therefore it's probably best to find an 'un-tampered with' unit.

Comment

ghibbett,

I think you are right.

Haven't done the scrapyard thing for years.

Target price £20 or am I dreaming?
                  S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Pah, I reckon you could get it for half that price. From my experience Scrappy's usually go on the size of the bit of metal you're having. Got a complete window regulator for the g/fs Polo last year for a tenner. Plus they're usually open to bartering.

Just don't turn up to the yard in the MC with your Rolex on show!!

Comment

Originally posted by ghibbett View Post
                      What's the problem with yours, Simon? Leaking fluid onto the screen under hard acceleration, or just leaking out of the motor casing when the tailgate is lifted?

Either way you're welcome to pop round being a fellow Leamingtonite as I have all the trim and wiper motor out of mine at the mo.
                      Leaking fluid onto the screen under hard acceleration, but happens about 1 in 5 times if that so not really a problem

Comment

Ah you just need the check valve. Costs a few quid and is dead easy and quick to fit*

*providing you don't have any other issues!!

Either way, if you need a hand give me a shout - I'm getting quite good at rear wiper problems!

Comment

don't suppose you know the part number for the check valve??

think I might have some other issues with the rear wiper, because when I put it on it won't go off again....but don't really want to go there as again i hardly ever use the rear wiper

Might need some help with the check valve, cheers..the only mod or fix I was capable of doing myself was replacing the standard aerial with a shorter one..

Comment

Part number is 61 68 8 391 402. Happy to help if you want to fit it. It's a pretty quick job to do (15mins or so).

Regarding the issue of the wiper not turning off again, it's probably down to the park switch. Either way, I have a spare motor that we can try on yours to help find the problem.

Comment

Quick update - received my 2nd 'new' wiper motor from BMW yesterday. Fitten it today and.....it's by far the worst one yet for leaks!!!! It was like Niagra Falls!!

Called BMW at 17:20hrs:
                              BMW: "Sorry, we don't have any technicians who can diagnose it as a faulty part"
                              ME: "You don't need a technician, I will show it to either yourself [parts person] or to someone from the Service dept. It's very obviously faulty."
                              BMW: "But I'm not trained to identify warranty claims on faulty parts"
                              ME: "You don't need any training. It's common sense - the part leaks"
                              BMW: "Sorry, you'll have to book the car in for a technician to look at it"

He then promised BMW Service would call me to make an appointment. They didnt. So thanks Nick Whale BMW. Stellar service

Comment

Working...
                              X